[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
NBC passes on David E. Kelly's Wonder Woman

Reply to topic
Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Jan 24 2011 03:46 am Reply with quote Back to top

From deadline.com

Wonder Woman will fly this pilot season after all. New NBC entertainment president Bob Greenblatt capped a day of high-profile pilot pickups with a surprise order to David E. Kelley's Wonder Woman reboot. Obviously hailing from Warner Bros. TV.

WBTV took Kelley's Wonder Woman spec out to the networks in the first week of January. At the time, NBC was the most interested but, with Greenblatt still on the sidelines, the network couldn't commit to the type of license fee that the studio was seeking in order to do the show Kelley had envisioned, and WBTV decided to shelve the project. With Greenblatt now firmly taking the reins and Kelley just delivering one of the most promising new series for NBC this season, Harry's Law, NBC stepped up to greenlight Wonder Woman. The project is described as a reinvention of the iconic D.C. comic in which Wonder Woman -- aka Diana Prince -- is a vigilante crime fighter in L.A. but also a successful corporate executive and a modern woman trying to balance all of the elements of her extraordinary life. "I had a lot of fun writing it," Kelley said of the script at TCA last week when the project had just been put on hold. "It's a huge project, and it was probably a bit too much to ask anyone to try to chew on it for next season. But I'm confident it will still happen. It's a very complicated piece, which is the most fun thing about it."

I'm sort of hesitant about this. Having Diana be a corporate executive feels off to me, what's wrong with having her be an Amazonian princess (too worried of it being hailed as the 2nd coming of Xena?). I'm sure they won't strip her of her powers, but it reminds me of what they did to her back in the 70's.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Pandajuice
Title: The Power of Grayskull
PostPosted: Jan 24 2011 07:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

Because it's David E. Kelly. I'm surprised she isn't a corporate attorney.
Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Jan 24 2011 11:13 am Reply with quote Back to top

Well, even in the old comic's didn't she have a secret identity? Diana Prince, and wasn't she just a secretary.
Lady_Satine
PostPosted: Feb 07 2011 10:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

A sneak peek of Kelly's pilot episode: http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2011-02-02/wonder-woman-a-sneak-peak-at-david-e-kelleys-script/

Two excerpts here:
Pages 3-6: Buffy this isn’t: Diana’s first appearance, here in her guise as Wonder Woman, is a Hollywood Boulevard-based action sequence set, cringingly, to the outdated tune of Beyoncé’s “Single Ladies,” the first of many musical cues—including tracks by Lady Gaga and Kanye West—in the script, all of which seem to prove that a) Kelley is a few years behind the times, and b) he watches a lot of Glee, since nearly all of these songs have been covered by the show choir. We’re meant to see Diana as a fierce female warrior, lasso of truth at her side, as she takes down a fast-moving suspect, but there’s a weird juxtaposition between attempts at humor and plodding “action.”

Pages 38-47: In the script’s most painful sequence, Diana is subpoenaed by the Senate Judiciary Committee and forced to give testimony about the events in Hollywood. She ends up filibustering about everything under the sun for several pages: the politics of the LAPD (name checking ex-police chiefs Daryl Gates and William Bratton), the economy, stimulus funds, pharmaceutical companies, Roger Clemens, the FDA and the FCC, and how networks will air commercials about erectile dysfunction but not for condoms. It’s clearly meant to be a showcase scene for the actress playing Diana, a calculated bid at awards and social relevance. Congratulations, David E. Kelley, the transformation of Wonder Woman from superhero to personal mouthpiece is now complete. Adding further insult to injury: real-life California Senator Dianne Feinstein is described as giving Diana a thumbs-up.

====

At this rate, I'm generously going to give this two seasons tops.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
Title: 2011 Picnic/Death Champ
PostPosted: Feb 07 2011 05:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It'll get cancelled midseason. No way it gets picked up for a second.

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

aeonic
Title: Sporadic Poster
PostPosted: Feb 07 2011 05:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Less of a chance than Cop Rock.

Who likes role-playing games? Me. Way too goddamn much.

Pandajuice
PostPosted: Feb 08 2011 07:56 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah by the sounds of it, it'll be canceled mid-season. This is why there exists "mid-season replacement" shows.

Is David E. Kelly just completely nuts now? He's like David Chase in that he seems hellbent on destroying his own career for no reason.
username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Mar 21 2011 03:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
Title: ( ͡� &#8
PostPosted: Mar 21 2011 03:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Now don't get me wrong, she looks sexy as hell in that outfit, but how can anyone take that seriously?

Shake it, Quake it, Space Kaboom.

Sehkmaenzo
PostPosted: Mar 21 2011 03:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

...It's not like Wonder Woman used to wear a business suit and librarian glasses, Sideway Razz
It's an improvement over the original costume from the TV series at least Smile
aeonic
Title: Sporadic Poster
PostPosted: Mar 21 2011 03:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I wish they'd have stayed a little closer to the 'new' Wonder Woman costume, maybe the jacket at least, but it's not the worst superhero suit attempt I've seen in a non-animated show. That would be the Flash in the late 80's/early 90's. That was god-awful.

Who likes role-playing games? Me. Way too goddamn much.

username
PostPosted: Mar 21 2011 03:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

you mean this guy?

Klimbatize wrote:

username
PostPosted: Mar 30 2011 11:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

some new pics of the wonder woman show:
http://www.ugo.com/tv/wonder-woman-costume-update

Klimbatize wrote:

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Mar 30 2011 11:46 am Reply with quote Back to top

First of all, the only appeal of this show would have been a woman in tight latex clothing running around.

Second, the woman they chose looks uncoordinated in the images they chose (Username's link).

This looks awful.

Sehkmaenzo
PostPosted: Mar 30 2011 12:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

If they leaked these pictures intentionally, they chose poorly. If not, well, people do look goofy sometimes when you freeze frame an action scene, so maybe that's what's going on.
She does seem concerned her boobs are about to pop out of the costume (and would be right to Razz )
GPFontaine
PostPosted: Mar 30 2011 01:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Sehkmaenzo wrote:
If they leaked these pictures intentionally, they chose poorly. If not, well, people do look goofy sometimes when you freeze frame an action scene, so maybe that's what's going on.
She does seem concerned her boobs are about to pop out of the costume (and would be right to Razz )

They should have just painted on the top with body paint. That would have been less awkward.

Lady_Satine
PostPosted: Mar 30 2011 01:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ugh, I finally took a look at it. My gripe is actually more with her muscle tone-Diana's an Amazon afterall. As for the costume, I think her short term newer one would work much better for this (so it can be forgotten more easily).

Pandajuice
PostPosted: Mar 31 2011 06:26 am Reply with quote Back to top

Man that costume is awful. It looks latexy, plasticky and cheap. And those pants are supposed to be an improvement? Yikes.
Lady_Satine
PostPosted: May 13 2011 05:40 am Reply with quote Back to top

The latest series to make the cut and get the axe from the popular network channel for their highly anticipated Fall lineup have been revealed.

It was announced earlier this year that Adrianne Palicki (Friday Night Lights, Red Dawn) was chosen for the title role of Wonder Woman. Tracie Thoms, Elizabeth Hurley, Cary Elwes, Justin Bruening and Joseph Gatt all had significant roles locked in if the pilot were to be picked up.

The most recent report regarding the pilot's unsure future is that NBC has officially passed on airing it this Fall; though producers may shop it around to other networks and cable outlets.

Playboy, on the other hand, has been given the official green light. The series, which is set at Hugh Hefner’s Playboy Club in 1963 and centers around Chicago attorney Nick Dalton played by Eddie Cibrian, is being produced jointly between Twentieth Century Fox TV and Imagine TV.

Laura Benanti, Amber Heard, Naturi Naughton, Jenna Dewan-Tatum, Leah Renee, David Krumholtz and Wes Ramsey make up the remaining main cast members. Chad Hodge (Tru Calling) wrote the script, which focuses on a group of women working as Playboy bunnies in the Chicago club. The show will use that as a jumping-off point to explore the nation's changing mores and the coming sexual revolution.

The other two additions announced today by NBC are Kyle Killen's Inception-styled sci-fi drama Awake and the dark, fantastical take on the Brothers Grimm stories Grimm by writers David Greenwalt and Jim KoufGrimm.

So there you have it, NBC's trading in a bustier for bunny suits.

GPFontaine
PostPosted: May 13 2011 07:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

After how The Cape did, it doesn't surprise me that they aren't going for it.

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: May 16 2011 11:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

I think NBC is afraid of Sci-Fi/Comic book type hero shows.

Look at the last five years.

Knight Rider
Bionic Woman
The Cape

They all failed. Which sucks, because I will freely admit I liked all three. I just wish, NBC would move these type of shows to one of it's cable networks if they don't like the ratings they are getting on NBC. All three of those mentioned shows would be perfect fits on Sy-Fy.
Lady_Satine
PostPosted: May 16 2011 02:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Don't forget Heroes if you're going by half a decade.

Kojjiro!
PostPosted: May 18 2011 07:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

GPFontaine wrote:
After how The Cape did, it doesn't surprise me that they aren't going for it.

hey! i really liked the cape; it was goofy and silly but at the same time kind of neat, just had to accept it for what it was.

i'd really like to see a *good* superhero show on TV, DC had a wonderful idea a few years back that they didn't end up going with, it was a shame.
(they wanted to do a serial kind of show, with different episodes focusing on B and C listers like The Question and Green Arrow, this was before he got popular)

basically anything would really do. maybe marvel will hit it big with the moon knight or one of their other series they have planned

Lady_Satine
PostPosted: May 18 2011 07:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

Kojjiro! wrote:
i'd really like to see a *good* superhero show on TV, DC had a wonderful idea a few years back that they didn't end up going with, it was a shame.
(they wanted to do a serial kind of show, with different episodes focusing on B and C listers like The Question and Green Arrow...

Batman The Brave and The Bold is loaded with the lower-tier guys like Bwana Beast, the Weeper, Kamandi the Last Boy, etc.

Kojjiro!
PostPosted: May 18 2011 08:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

yeah, but it was like a live action thing
i really like season 9 and season 10 of smallville which is hilarious because i found the earlier seasons to be absolutely painful to watch anytime justin hartley erica durance or allison mack wasnt on screen
it would be neat if dc gave justin hartley a spinoff green arrow show they really did some amazing stuff in the last two seasons

Reply to topic

Jump to: