SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Van Damme to be in Expendables 2 as long as Seagal isn't

Reply to topic
JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Jan 19 2011 03:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thats because most everyone that plays that game wasn't born yet when that movie came out.

^Clearly fucking with you.

DarkMaze
PostPosted: Jan 19 2011 04:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
And DarkMaze, Van Damme is definitely a low point in Street Fighter, and keeps it from fully realizing its campy potential.

I agree with you to a point, but I don't think recasting Guile would have made a substantial difference in the movie's popularity.
Doddsino
PostPosted: Jan 19 2011 05:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

"I'm not going home. I'm gonna get on my boat, and I'm going up river, and I'm going to kick that son of a bitch Bison's ass so hard that the next Bison wannabe is gonna feel it!"

Try to deliver that line with any sort of conviction. I'm in no way a fan of Van Damme, but that movie would've sucked even without him. In fact his deliver of the "quality" lines made it kind of funny for me. Honestly, they cast a Belgian actor to play an American, so that movie failed before it even began production.
Ice2SeeYou
Title: Sexual Tyrannosaurus
PostPosted: Jan 19 2011 08:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Van Dam could kick Seagall's ass in real life.

Sydlexia.com - Where miserable bastards meet to call each other retards.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jan 20 2011 12:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

Probably. Seagal's martial arts credentials have long been questioned.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Greg the White
PostPosted: Jan 20 2011 12:48 am Reply with quote Back to top

They need to bring in Robert Downey Jr. as Kirk Lazarus as Lincoln Osiris.

So here's to you Mrs. Robinson. People love you more- oh, nevermind.

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Jan 20 2011 09:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'd put my money on Seagal.

Don't get me wrong, I actually think that Van Damme is a better martial artist. However, I have a few friends that are police officers. They are always one high alert, they always seem to be able to take a punch and come right back, and they almost always have a gun on them.

Seagal is more practiced with real fights, not just rule based competition.

Also, Chuck Zito.

Ice2SeeYou
PostPosted: Jan 20 2011 02:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Seagal has his Aikido, but Aikido isn't that highly regarded in a lot of MMA circles. I'd put money on a competent boxer, wrestler or jiu-jitsu practictioner to beat an Aikido guy 95% of the time.

It's true that Seagal probably has some "no rules" hand-to-hand combat training as well (this is where a lot of Jeet Kune-Do and Krav Maga guys like to chime in about their arts' superiority), but I'd still put money on the guys who can throw proper strikes (boxers/kickboxers/Muay Thai fighters) and the guys who can control the ground fighting (wrestlers/jiu-jitsu/judo fighters) over the guys who are looking to gouge your eyes or knee you in the balls.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jan 20 2011 02:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Aikido is more defensive than offensive. It's about using your opponent's momentum to your advantage and counterattacking.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Ice2SeeYou
PostPosted: Jan 20 2011 02:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Aikido is more defensive than offensive. It's about using your opponent's momentum to your advantage and counterattacking.

That's true, but I think the proof lies in what is used most effectively in MMA, which is the closest thing to a proving ground that exists legally. You don't see any Aikido guys in MMA. Aikido, from what I understand, also completely lacks a ground game. You won't last long against a grappler without a ground game.

Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Jan 20 2011 11:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Think Sasha Mitchell would have a shot? Or is he still in prison?

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Douche McCallister
Title: DOO-SHAY
PostPosted: Jan 20 2011 11:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

He's not tough enough, nor is he anything but a dumb cousin from Step By Step

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Jan 20 2011 11:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ice, in a competition you are probably correct. However out on the street, all the rules change. When breaking bones, groin striking, biting, hair pulling, clothing, weapons, and terrain are involved, I would give the edge to the person who is most used to fighting in that condition. In this case, Seagal is a cop. He is also known for disregarding the personal safety of others as long as he comes out on top.

Van Dammme might win in a defined cage with rules, but take away the safety net and I'm betting my money on Seagal.

Also, for what it is worth, I haven't heard of either of them having any form of MMA training or specifically ground training. Does either know JuJitsu or Judo? Beyond those two arts, the only formal training I am aware of for ground fighting is combative training that is offered through military and police. I suppose Krav Maga might have a bit, but that style is very much about staying up as much as possible.

Ice2SeeYou
PostPosted: Jan 21 2011 03:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

GPFontaine wrote:
Ice, in a competition you are probably correct. However out on the street, all the rules change. When breaking bones, groin striking, biting, hair pulling, clothing, weapons, and terrain are involved, I would give the edge to the person who is most used to fighting in that condition. In this case, Seagal is a cop. He is also known for disregarding the personal safety of others as long as he comes out on top.

Van Dammme might win in a defined cage with rules, but take away the safety net and I'm betting my money on Seagal.

Also, for what it is worth, I haven't heard of either of them having any form of MMA training or specifically ground training. Does either know JuJitsu or Judo? Beyond those two arts, the only formal training I am aware of for ground fighting is combative training that is offered through military and police. I suppose Krav Maga might have a bit, but that style is very much about staying up as much as possible.

I see where you're coming from, but the problem I have with a lot of these "real life/lethal" techniques is that there's no way to really practice them in training. You can't spar with eye-gouging, groin striking and biting. No one in his right mind would be willing to let someone practice those moves on him. So I see that as the inherent weakness with that type of training......the lack of real-time experience. I believe that if you don't/can't practice your techniques against living, resisting opponents (like you can with boxing or grappling,) you won't be able to pull them off in a real fight.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jan 21 2011 05:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Seagal broke Sean Connery's hand on the set of Never Say Never Again, just because he could. How many celebrities has Van Damme ever injured?
JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Jan 21 2011 05:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Does his own career count as a celebrity?

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Jan 21 2011 06:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Doddsino
PostPosted: Jan 21 2011 11:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

How about Rob Schneider? He was in 2 Stallone movies already. Maybe the movie can revolve around a plot where he goes undercover as a woman, gets kidnapped and they have to save him, only to arrive too late as he's getting decapitated.
Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Jan 24 2011 11:07 am Reply with quote Back to top

Douche McCallister wrote:
He's not tough enough, nor is he anything but a dumb cousin from Step By Step

Yeah, Tommy the Green Ranger, would kick his ass.
FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Jan 24 2011 12:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Let's put this Van Damme vs. Segall thing to rest.

We all know that both are a bunch of blowhard wannabes who think that just because they know martial arts, they are automatically some kind of badass. They'll both stand around talking shit, daring the other guy to make the first move, and silently hoping that somebody will intervene before they really DO have to defend themselves. Someone will eventually get tired of their shit and separate them. They will both walk away, talking about how they would have whupped the other guy's ass, all the while silently thanking whatever gods that they pray to for not allowing them to actually have to prove themselves in a public setting.

And the Street Fighter movie was fucking classy. A Belgian pretending to be a guy who should have an American flag tattooed on each bicep for symmetry is the perfect leader for a racially diverse peace keeping force full of stereotypes such as a native american with a headband and beads, who happens to be named "Thunderhawk". The cornball machismo dialogue between Guile and Gomez Adams wouldn't be right coming from any other man's mouth. It would feel flat and generic, like the guy really is a badass fighting a mad man. We haven't had terrible casting this perfect since Ahnold's starring role in End of Days, where his classic line of "FAAAACK YUUUUUU!!!!!" would have been an ordinary "FUCK YOU!" if any other action hero decided to get himself into a situation where he had to imitate the original Ninja Turtles film and throw Satan out of a window to save his own life.

I just realized that I've crossed the line into rambling.

Irregardless, while on the subject of mister "GET TO THA CHOPPAAAA!!! NAAAOOOWWWW!!!", This sequel should include Ahnold having his own team of mercenary badasses. Stallone's guys should constantly pull pranks on them, like some Axel foley, bananna in the tailpipe kinda shit.

I haven't slept since Four pm yesterday and have just finished ingesting my third pot of coffee. Things could get ugly if I edit this post again. Ugly or hilarious.

Douche McCallister
PostPosted: Jan 24 2011 05:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I just paid attention to the list of names in Syd's original post. Charlie Sheen? Call me dumb but what is he known for in the action film genre, and if him why not Tom Cruise too? Or Danny Glover for that matter.

Greg the White
PostPosted: Jan 24 2011 06:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

How dare you? Charlie was in Navy S.E.A.L.s.

So here's to you Mrs. Robinson. People love you more- oh, nevermind.

Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
Title: 2011 Picnic/Death Champ
PostPosted: Jan 24 2011 06:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Greg the White wrote:
How dare you? Charlie was in Navy S.E.A.L.s.

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

Douche McCallister
PostPosted: Jan 24 2011 09:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Never seen it. Does it warrant admittance into the most Action packed Action Super Star movie though?

Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
Title: 2011 Picnic/Death Champ
PostPosted: Jan 24 2011 11:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Fuck no.

But he did do two Hot Shots movies, so maybe that qualifies him.

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

Reply to topic

Jump to: