[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Michael Vick

Reply to topic
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Dec 15 2010 10:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

A couple of years ago, Michael Vick was the most hated man on the planet. Now, he's not even the most hated guy in the NFL. Hell, with Guys like Roethlisberger and Alosi out there, Vick's not even in the Top 20.

If Vick can win a Superbowl, someday someone will an Oscar playing him in an inspirational movie.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Tomdincan
Title: Test Icicle
PostPosted: Dec 15 2010 10:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm just tired of every article or clip about him accompanied by "Vick, who spent 18 months in prison for running a dogfighting ring..."

I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning sociopath.

UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Dec 15 2010 11:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Eh, he did his time. He's making an effort to make good, even if that effort is mostly a ploy by his PR guys. And he's winning games.

Everyone deserves second chances.
Tomdincan
Title: Test Icicle
PostPosted: Dec 15 2010 11:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, I totally agree. Just tell me how performs on gameday.

I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning sociopath.

Rydog
Title: Dragon Slayer
PostPosted: Dec 16 2010 12:06 am Reply with quote Back to top

I really haven't heard much dog fighting jabber in quite a while. People seem to be kissing his ass pretty hard. He is playing well, and on the surface seems to have rehabbed well. We'll see how he ends up once he is out of debt with real NFL money again. Hopefully it doesn't go to his head.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Dec 16 2010 12:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think it'll go to his head. He gives anti-animal abuse lectures at least once a month, and as it's been pointed out, no one is ever going to him forget what he did. It's been a footnote in every Michael Vick story since it happened, and probably always will be.

Axl Rose complained about this is in one of his famous Use Your Illusion-era tour rants. No matter you do, the press is always going to write about something else. The story is never going to be Axl Rose gave the audience a great show. It's always going to be Axl Rose, who once caused a riot in St. Louis, put on a great show. Or Axl Rose, who once attacked a neighbor with a wine bottle when she complained about loud music, put on a great show.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
GPFontaine
PostPosted: Dec 16 2010 08:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
I don't think it'll go to his head. He gives anti-animal abuse lectures at least once a month, and as it's been pointed out, no one is ever going to him forget what he did. It's been a footnote in every Michael Vick story since it happened, and probably always will be.

Axl Rose complained about this is in one of his famous Use Your Illusion-era tour rants. No matter you do, the press is always going to write about something else. The story is never going to be Axl Rose gave the audience a great show. It's always going to be Axl Rose, who once caused a riot in St. Louis, put on a great show. Or Axl Rose, who once attacked a neighbor with a wine bottle when she complained about loud music, put on a great show.

The difference is that Axl found a way to stay out of prison, yet botched up his career, while Vick seemingly went to the big house and came back with a stronger game.

Are you thinking what I am? Axl in jail could have saved GNR?

UsaSatsui
PostPosted: Dec 16 2010 10:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, they never let you forget, no. A lot of famous people have made very serious mistakes. The question is, do you let it define you? Vick could have been a footnote in pop culture and late night talk show monologues as "the football player who ran dog fights", but he rose hard to rise above it and resurrect his career. I gotta respect the man for that, particularly since I always kind of felt he was overrated.

I saw on the news this morning, however, that he felt he was "ready" to own a dog. All in all, you're just another brick in the wall.
SNESGuy
Title: El Duderino
PostPosted: Dec 16 2010 11:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

UsaSatsui wrote:
Oh, they never let you forget, no. A lot of famous people have made very serious mistakes. The question is, do you let it define you? Vick could have been a footnote in pop culture and late night talk show monologues as "the football player who ran dog fights", but he rose hard to rise above it and resurrect his career. I gotta respect the man for that, particularly since I always kind of felt he was overrated.

I saw on the news this morning, however, that he felt he was "ready" to own a dog. All in all, you're just another brick in the wall.

Yeah thats just retarded, he will probably never be able to get that dog.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Dec 20 2010 09:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

SnesGuy wrote:
UsaSatsui wrote:

Yeah thats just retarded, he will probably never be able to get that dog.

I say, let him. A dog is pretty basic possession, and it's not one that requires any special licenses or permits for ownership. If he wants to own a dog, no one has the right to tell him he can't. This is America. I mean, what the fuck is the big deal. Are people afraid is going to go down this:

"I want a dog... just one dog."
"Okay, now that I have a dog, I need another dog."
"Okay, now that I have two dogs, I need fifty more dogs."
"FIGHT DOGGIES, FIGHT! MWA HA HA! I'M BACK, BABY!"

Get real.
UsaSatsui
PostPosted: Dec 21 2010 12:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
I say, let him. A dog is pretty basic possession, and it's not one that requires any special licenses or permits for ownership. If he wants to own a dog, no one has the right to tell him he can't.

First, Syd, I don't know about the great town of Wakefield, but in every city and town I've lived in, you need a license for your dog.

Second, the Justice system certainly has the right to tell him he can't. It's what they do, they punish you for wrongdoing by taking away things you normally have the right to do. The court says he doesn't have the right to own a dog, so, fuck him.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Dec 21 2010 07:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

UsaSatsui wrote:
Second, the Justice system certainly has the right to tell him he can't. It's what they do, they punish you for wrongdoing by taking away things you normally have the right to do. The court says he doesn't have the right to own a dog, so, fuck him.

No. The government has the right to fine you, imprison you, or both (community service could be seen as a variant of either punishment). In cases in which the state or federal government issues you to have a license to do something (hunt, drive, pilot a plane), they also have the right to revoke those. But in a free and just society, the government doesn't have the right to make up restrictions outside its jurisdiction. Let's say I stabbed fifteen people to death with steak knives. I go to jail for it, but because I live in Massachusetts, I eventually get paroled. Let's say I get paroled 40 years later. They don't get to tell me that I can't ever own a steak knife again. I already paid my fucking debt to society.

But more importantly, the government can't pick and choose regulations for its citizens on a case by case basis. If steak knives are available to the public, then I can buy them. The government can't say everyone can own steak knives EXCEPT YOU. That's not how America works. That's totalitarianism. The reason the government CAN revoke your driver's license is because it is subject to certification and there are clear standards for what you must do to obtain and maintain your driver's license. Since such standards do not exist for steak knives, the government has no authority to revoke a single individual's right to steak knives. If they decide steak knives are that a big of threat, they can either ban them or enact a law requiring steak knife licenses to be obtained in order for one to own and operate steak knives.
Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
Title: 2011 Picnic/Death Champ
PostPosted: Dec 21 2010 07:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The government restricts felons from owning guns, even though guns are legal for the general population. Likewise, felons aren't allowed to vote.

People convicted of sex crimes must inform their neighborhood that they are a sex offender. There are sites where you can look up who in your neighborhood is a sex offender, even after they've 'paid their debt' to society. They are often restricted to go near schools.

My point is, part of that debt includes not only jail time, but the consequences after being released. That includes losing your second amendment rights, some right to your privacy, and right to vote. And in Vick's case, it's losing the right to own an animal that you were convicted of torturing and killing.

The main point I can draw from your post, Syd, is that you disagree with all these restrictions on felons because the government doesn't have the right to impose them. You'd be fine with a guy who was convicted of raping a child to work in a school after he was released from prison because, hey, he paid his debt.

That point of view is too black and white and, quite frankly, too simplistic, for me. I completely disagree with you.

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Dec 21 2010 08:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Guns require a license though. That's different. They can require a code of conduct for guns.
Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
PostPosted: Dec 21 2010 08:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

A license isn't required to work as a janitor in an elementary school. Should people convicted of a sex crime be allowed to work in a school if they're released from prison? They've paid their debt, right?

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

UsaSatsui
PostPosted: Dec 21 2010 08:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I hate to tell you this, Syd, but you are wrong. Aside from "cruel and unusual punishment", the government, both State and Federal, is allowed to say "You can't own a steak knife", if if feels that should be part of it. It's not something outside their jurisdiction, it's well within it. They have that right, and have used it before, particularly in the case of parole or probation conditions. You can appeal the sentence, but they're certainly allowed to hand it down. Klim gave the most common example, registering sex offenders and requiring them to stay away from kids, but sentences involving a requirement to stay away from certain areas, or to be forced to listen to Hank Williams, or restrictions on what you can or can't own.

Fines and jail time are simply the most common punishments.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Dec 21 2010 08:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

If a school wants to hire you, sure. But you're required to tell them you're a sex offender and they probably won't hire you.
Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
PostPosted: Dec 21 2010 08:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm glad you don't make the law. I don't want some asshole principal hiring his sex-offender relative who can't find a job. Times like this, government intervention is a good thing. I don't like the "All or nothing" philosophy when it comes to real life. It's great in theory, but not in practice.

Douche McCallister
Title: DOO-SHAY
PostPosted: Dec 21 2010 08:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with Syd simply because there is no real restriction to owning a Dog. I got one shipped to me from Montana and had to do nothing besides provide an address. Besides unless you can prevent bad parents from having children you can't prevent someone from owning a dog.

Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
PostPosted: Dec 21 2010 08:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

See, that's an opinion. Syd isn't arguing that he should be allowed to, he's saying the government has no right to restrict Vick from owning a dog. He's incorrect. The government has the legal authority to hand out such a punishment.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Dec 21 2010 10:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well, under the American philosophy of government, I believe they have no right to do so.

In all practicality, the government has whatever rights it can get away with.
Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
PostPosted: Dec 21 2010 10:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Eh, I'm just trying to boost your post count so that you hit 20K before the end of the year.

UsaSatsui
PostPosted: Dec 21 2010 10:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Douche McCallister wrote:
I agree with Syd simply because there is no real restriction to owning a Dog. I got one shipped to me from Montana and had to do nothing besides provide an address. Besides unless you can prevent bad parents from having children you can't prevent someone from owning a dog.

They're called the Department of Social Services. And if you are a bad parent, you will soon find yourself without children (they can't keep you from making more, though, which is sad).

Syd wrote:
Well, under the American philosophy of government, I believe they have no right to do so.

I don't see it. I'm not really seeing any American philosophy that says "if you commit a crime using dogs, it's not really right to take your dogs away". Criminal justice in America is based upon due process and personal rights, but the end result is the same everywhere: If you commit a crime, we take some of your rights away as punishment.

You can certainly argue the man should be allowed to own a dog, though I'd probably set a "one dog limit". Heck, you might even win in court, depending on the kind of dog he gets. I just believe it's well within the rights of the Justice system to restrict him this way.
FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Dec 22 2010 01:55 am Reply with quote Back to top

wait. what's wrong with dog fighting?

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Dec 22 2010 06:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Reply to topic

Jump to: