"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Movies improved by director's cuts

Reply to topic
Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Oct 21 2005 03:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It seems to be the in thing to diss new editions of movies. But some movies are actually made better because of reediting.

Pitch Black to me is the shinning example, so much so the theeatrical version no longer exists (as the TV version is an edit of the director's cut).

Mallrats and Daredevil were slightly improved by the added footage, but honestly, a better version would be to use scenes from the director's cut with scenes from the theatrical to get the best version possible. Fanboys, that's up to you.

Apocalypse Now Redux I know most people hate, but I actually like it better than the original. I LOVE the French plantation scene, because of its commentary on the French, their history with war, as well as just a good scene by itself.

I can't remember some other director's cuts right now, but I know there are better ones... wait a tick:

Unrated Jason Goes To Hell
Unrated Robocop
Pretty much the gorier versions of movies are usually better.

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Oct 21 2005 03:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know if Robocop was really improved... the original cut is awesome as it is. The same goes for T2. I like the extra scenes, but the movie doesn't really lose anything without them.

If I were to pick one movie where the Director's Cut was blatantly and infinitely better, it would be Highlander 2. Due to budget problems, the film's insurance company seized creative control and subsequently cut the hell out of the movie, reordered scenes, and changed the plot. It was so different from what it was intended to be that the director walked out of the premiere of the theatrical version after only 15 minutes.

I don't know if the footage still exists, but I'd like to see a director's cut of Total Recall. Apparently a lot of the fight scenes were edited to prevent the film from getting an X rating.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Tebor
PostPosted: Oct 21 2005 11:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Off T2, the version I watch is the special edition with alternate ending (though I never watch that ending).

Independence Day is another film I only watch the SE of. Dawn of the Dead Director's Cut, I'm going to say is better even though I only know of one difference that was added. I prefer the Chronicles of Riddick DC because it turned Riddick into a much more epic hero story than a action-adventure thriller, but I understand some people like the theatrical better (I do like ending a little better in the theatrical).

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

Darklire
Title: I get a Title?
PostPosted: Oct 22 2005 01:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

Riddick makes me feel like I came into a movie half-way through. There needs to be more back-story other than references to Pitch Black and some folklore no one has any idea about.

View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
Tebor
PostPosted: Oct 22 2005 02:48 am Reply with quote Back to top

Darklire wrote:
Riddick makes me feel like I came into a movie half-way through. There needs to be more back-story other than references to Pitch Black and some folklore no one has any idea about.

You are reading a post by a man writing the book about the Riddick universe. No kidding, Twohy was okay with it (as long as I'm not making money- that's step 2). It is true much of the Riddick history is still open and vague. Such as: why was he arrested in the first place?

Some things from Riddick's past however worth mentioning are:
He was born and then found with his umbilical cord wrapped around his throat in a dumpster. This turns out to be part of Lord Marshall Zhylaw's crusade after hearing that a Furyian would kill him. He led the Necromongers to Furya to slaughter them all.
Riddick ended up in slams (prisons)... lots of them. He had a normal life before, it wasn't a good life, but he had various jobs. One thing Riddick learned quickly though was that he didn't like to be in slam. Thus began the long running from mercs in his life.
His eye shine is open to debate. Butcher Bay implies either that he gained his eye sight from Shirah via some magicial Furyian way or from Pope Joe. However, before CoR, Pitch Black had an expanded universe that said Riddick gained it at Slam City from Clutter, a doctor who did for Menthol Kools.

As for folklore no one has heard about, it would KILL the pacing of CoR. So Twohy and Universal posted as much as they could within the website of CoR. The DVDs have even more information. I suggest, don't worry about it. Leave the wadding to people like me. Slowly, but surely, I am making a PDF book (with full photoshoped pages) that fully explores the universe and ties up many loose ends. There are some gaps that have been left open intentionally however.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Oct 22 2005 09:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

Doesn't the video game Escape From Butcher's Bay also provide some of Riddick's backstory?
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Darklire
Title: I get a Title?
PostPosted: Oct 22 2005 09:32 am Reply with quote Back to top

I would suggest make your own story rather than take someone elses and possibly butcher his whole idea.

View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
Tebor
PostPosted: Oct 22 2005 02:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Doesn't the video game Escape From Butcher's Bay also provide some of Riddick's backstory?

Not really. The whole idea is it answers how he got the eye shine, but it plays out how I described it above. It's either some Furyan magic or Pope Joe. It also shows Riddick using his Furyan blast which he uses in the director's cut of TCoR.

Darklire wrote:
I would suggest make your own story rather than take someone elses and possibly butcher his whole idea.

If this was to me, It's not a story book. It's an encyclopedia of everything that is known about the Riddick universe in one nice tight package. I really don't add anything new to the universe, but I may say something like the Merc seen in "Into Pitch Black" is the same one who goes to Planet UV in "The Hunt for Riddick" web game or something. And the eyeshine... well, it's interesting how I explain that one Wink

greeneyedzeke
PostPosted: Oct 24 2005 09:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

Though people seemed to hate the movie in general, I kinda liked the theatrical release of the recent "King Arthur"movie (then again, Clive Owen is one of my favorite actors). That being said, the director's cut is so far superior in every conceivable way that it makes me cry blood to think about it. For those who don't know (or didn't care) the film was MEANT to be r-rated. At the 11th hour, though, the studio turned around and told Antoine Fuqua, the director, that they needed a tentpole summer action flick and hacked the shit out of the film, removing most of the violence AND a lot of the material that fleshed out the Guinevere/Arthur/Lancelot triangle. All of that is BACK in the director's cut, along with some further exposition that makes the film flow better and carry some of the dramatic intent it was supposed to have. The only thing that would've improved the movie further was the insertion of the "other" ending, which was much less corny than the one we got. All in all, though, I recommend people give the director's cut a chance. It's definitely a better film.

Also, while "Natural Born Killers" is my favorite movie, the director's cut is a major improvement. NBK is the only movie I can think of where 3 minutes of excised footage actually amounts to more than 100 cuts... and those cuts matter. Dumb as it seems, something as small as a lingering shot on the hole blown through Wayne Gale's hand helps to push the edge a little more and drive home the point that the film is supposed to be overblown satire. It's worth checking out. Though I DO have a minor complaint about it. In the segment where Scagnetti kills the hooker, I feel like maybe the nudity was put back in as titilation and not plot-enhancement. If you notice, she takes her bra off, but in the next cut it's back on. That goes on back and forth a few times and looks sloppy, like it wasn't intended to be a topless scene. Oh well...

Lastly, "Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers' is improved by the bootlegged "Producer's Cut" that shows an edit of the film from before Joe Chappelle's insane re-shooting of half the damn movie. It still doesn't make a TON of sense, but it works better than the shit we ended up with. I guess it's a moot point, though, since Kevin Williamson ignored Halloweens 4-6 in his "H20" script.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Oct 24 2005 02:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

greeneyedzeke wrote:

In the segment where Scagnetti kills the hooker, I feel like maybe the nudity was put back in as titilation and not plot-enhancement. If you notice, she takes her bra off, but in the next cut it's back on. That goes on back and forth a few times and looks sloppy, like it wasn't intended to be a topless scene. Oh well...

The entire movie is so surreal that the back and forth with the bra didn't really bother me.

Another interesting thing about that scene is that it was totally unscripted. Tom Sizemore really brought a hooker onto the set and killed her. Since nothing gets by Oliver Stone, he was able to quickly film it.
Tebor
PostPosted: Oct 24 2005 05:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Another interesting thing about that scene is that it was totally unscripted. Tom Sizemore really brought a hooker onto the set and killed her. Since nothing gets by Oliver Stone, he was able to quickly film it.

That wins the "Tebor Funniest, but True" Award for the day. Congrats.

King Arthur was the fucking bomb! Cool

And I love crazy surreal action movies. God bless NBK and anything Tony Scott has made recently.

Tebor
PostPosted: Nov 03 2005 05:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I was just watching True Romance which I guess is the director's cut. I've only seen this director's cut, so by default, I'm going to say it is the better version.

Tebor
PostPosted: Dec 04 2005 05:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

I just wrote about this elsewhere, but the Bootleg Cut of Almost Famous is damn awesome. Though almost an hour longer, the movie just feels so much more like a main course. Of course, if you don't like movies about music, life, growing up, bands, or... about a million other things... it could be awful... so go check out Havoc instead, because... you know... topless Anne Hathaway.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Dec 05 2005 07:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know if one exists, but I imagine The Passion of the Christ would be improved by a director's cut. I always felt there was a little too much Christ and nowhere near enough passion.
Tebor
PostPosted: Mar 08 2006 07:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Since this thread's been dead for awhile, why not discuss Director's Cuts that SUCK! (Rather than spam the Night Watch thread with this topic)

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Mar 08 2006 08:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Or why not start a new thread?
Tebor
PostPosted: Mar 08 2006 10:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Or why not start a new thread?

I don't want the forums to become too cluttered and scare off newbies with our huge library of threads.

Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Mar 09 2006 01:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Newbies to any forum are well aware there's gonna be a shit ton of topics already and that they're not expected...and probably not encouraged because of annoying resurrection of dead threads...to read all of them, merely see what's current and focus on those topics, as well as start their own.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

Tebor
PostPosted: Mar 10 2006 01:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Tebor = shamed.

Murdar Machene
Title: bimmy
PostPosted: Mar 11 2006 06:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
I don't know if Robocop was really improved... the original cut is awesome as it is.

The criterion collection had like 3 extra scenes of violence, from the shootout where robocop blasts at the guys in the van (close up and extra violence on a shot to the leg), extra gore during his death (arm gets blown off visibly and other stuff that makes the scene longer) and when the robot goes haywire at the meeting, they show an extended version of the guy getting shot with more blood.

As for Apocalypse now: Redux...I had no fucking clue what to think of this movie. The original movie that I liked was gone. Something new and different was in its place. I don't like that.
Tebor
PostPosted: Mar 11 2006 02:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
The criterion collection had like 3 extra scenes of violence, from the shootout where robocop blasts at the guys in the van (close up and extra violence on a shot to the leg), extra gore during his death (arm gets blown off visibly and other stuff that makes the scene longer) and when the robot goes haywire at the meeting, they show an extended version of the guy getting shot with more blood.

As for Apocalypse now: Redux...I had no fucking clue what to think of this movie. The original movie that I liked was gone. Something new and different was in its place. I don't like that.

Actually, the van shootout in Robocop didn't change. Emil getting run over by a van did slightly. The blood color was restored to a more natural color.

I saw Apocalypse Now theatrical cut about a year before I saw Redux. Honestly, little changed. The beginning is the same, the ending is the same. Now it's a more epic journey. Here's why I liked the Redux version better:

Duvall's surfboard gets stolen. Most people I talk to HATE this scene. I love it. I think it's funny and ironic that a man so high and mighty is so easily offended. Unlike most people, I don't think his "power was destroyed" by this scene. I find it amusing and I fear for the people who will have to suffer for it. If anything, it made his character more powerful, because now he's PISSED. If the first battle was Duvall attacking happily, imagine the damage he'll do when he's angry. Uh-oh. He's going to make Rambo look like Tango.

The French Plantation. I saw Redux the year I was learning about French warfare. Or lack thereof. I love the scene for one reason, there's a monologue about how the French always lose battles but they will NOT lose their compound there. I found the scene to be emotionally touching and added a much needed layer to the film. Say what you will, I thought the scene was wonderful and appropriate.

Why people don't listen to my thoughts about Redux: The Playboy bunnies. Most people hear I liked the addition where Sheen buys some time with the girls and figure I'm an idiot and have no idea what I'm talking about. They never stop to think why Coppola filmmed the scene at all. First, the scene is not "pornographic", there is minimal nudity, so anyone claiming that is a fucktard. But look at the humanity in the scene. There's Sheen basically buying human beings for a time period from people who don't own them. What does that say about us as human beings? Or what does the scene say about soldiers who are sex deprived in 'Nam? Everyone knows about the sex-nanigans that go on in war time, but no one wants to talk about it. Why? Maybe because the things we do to get laid is worse than shooting POWs? It's a ethical question in a sense and I know that the scene doesn't bother some people, but it bothers me for the disregard for human life. I think it's a great addition that Kubrick could only have a wet dream about; it's done with taste so I have no idea what that cine-snobs are crying about. And of course, the guy trying to screw the chick with the bird is f-ing hysterical. Very Happy

I feel for you about things you knew being replaced. I rarely have a problem with that for some reason. Unlike many, the Star Wars special editions didn't bother me. The Riddick director's cut cut one of my favorite monologues in the film and a more satisfying ending. Overall though, I don't really miss those scenes, because the new edit works much better than the theatrical cut.

Even something like "The Butterfly Effect" has an ending in the director's cut, I don't like. But thanks to the power of DVD, I have both cuts of the film. With "Butterfly" I prefer the happier theatrical cut and yet both versions exist. I have about three editions of the Star Wars films and each cut exists. Nothing has been replaced. I think some people are thinking about the mass of humanity rather than themselves when it comes to new film edits. As long as you have or remember the cut you prefer, who gives a fuck?

In other words, feel free to dislike Redux. Most people do. However, I wouldn't say that something you liked was "gone". It really isn't considering how many DVD/Laserdisc/VHS editions exist of the film.

Oh, and why do I like the Robocop X rated version better? The blood. Trust me, seeing Murphy die more violently makes his character more tragic. Kenny being killed in front of his peers is flippin' hysterical. That's classic Verhoven. Peace out.

Murdar Machene
PostPosted: Mar 12 2006 07:46 am Reply with quote Back to top

Just to be sure, the Criterion DVD is the X-rated version right? Because that's the version I saw. I could have sworn that I read somewhere that during the shootout an extra closeup of a shot to the leg was added in the uncut version.

I just didn't like the Apocalypse now Redux because it wasn't the movie that I knew and loved, it had extra stuff added that I didn't care for. I didn't mean to say that the ORIGINAL movie is "gone" from existence, I just feel that the complete package of the original with all its salience is gone from the "redux" version.

Oh, and it was Francis Ford Coppola, not Kubrick that directed it Wink

But yeah, the playboy scene was cool because it had boobs, see. Hot boobs. I dunno though, I just didn't like how the intro wasn't the doors and the end wasn't just him killing kurtz, it had to wind down with all this pointless banter. Of course, I could understand someone liking either version, I'm just saying why I don't like it. I'm sure some people hate Akira and think it's trite and contrived, but I'll always love the camp appeal of that movie.
Tebor
PostPosted: Mar 12 2006 06:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Tebor wrote:

They never stop to think why Coppola filmmed the scene at all.

I think it's a great addition that Kubrick could only have a wet dream about.

I did point out it was Coppola. And my Kubrick comment was dissing Full Metal Jacket, because I hate Kubrick. Fat, hairy, nerdy prick.

Murdar Machene
PostPosted: Mar 12 2006 09:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I hate Kubrick myself because he's a pervert and he ruins the ending to things that previously had an ending (A Clockwork Orange)
Tebor
PostPosted: Mar 12 2006 10:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Murdar Machene wrote:
I hate Kubrick myself because he's a pervert and he ruins the ending to things that previously had an ending (A Clockwork Orange)

YEAH!

Reply to topic

Jump to: