"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Neil Gaiman's Sandman as a tv series

Reply to topic
Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Sep 05 2010 02:14 am Reply with quote Back to top

Neil Gaiman's 'Sandman' being adapted ... as a TV show (exclusive)

Sandman By Borys Kit and James Hibberd

“The Sandman,” the Neil Gaiman-penned comic book series considered a seminal work in the medium, is in the early stages of being developed into a TV series.

Warner Bros. TV is in the midst of acquiring television rights from sister company DC Entertainment and in talks with several writer-producers about adapting the 1990s comic. At the top of the list is Eric Kripke, creator of the CW’s horror-tinged “Supernatural.”

“Sandman” told the tale of Morpheus, the Lord of the Dreaming, a deity who personifies dreams. The book began in the horror realm but quickly made its mark in fantasy and mythology as Gaiman introduced the Endless, a group of powerful brothers and sisters named Destiny, Death, Destruction, Despair, Desire and Delirium (as well as Dream).

The book helped establish DC’s Vertigo imprint and won several awards. It also was one of the few comics that segued from the comics crowd, entering the intellectual and art worlds, winning over a large non-comics-reading audience, particularly a devoted female following.

Sandman-endless A movie version of “Sandman” has been in development since the mid-’90s, with an early version involving Roger Avary. The movie version cooled earlier in the decade, with the thinking moving to the best way to tackle an adaptation is the TV route. Up until a few months ago, DC was in talks with HBO and James Mangold to develop a show minus WBTV’s involvement, but that never coalesced.

Gaiman was not officially involved with the HBO attempt, though he and Mangold held several rounds of talks surrounding characters and story. The author is not involved in the new developments, though since it is early in the process, that may change. In fact, securing Gaiman will prove key for the project to go forward.

Kripke has been described as interested in tackling an adaptation but cautious because the comic book has such a passionate following and is held in such high regard. It’s the kind of series where each production decision, from casting to script to design, would be scrutinized by devotees.

Still, Kripke has managed to create and sustain “Supernatural,” which week in and week out deals with fantasy, mythological and horror elements. He also displayed a certain amount of creative integrity when he stuck to his guns by not returning as showrunner when the network renewed the series for a sixth season after he completed his planned five-season story line.

WBTV and WME, which reps Kripke, declined to comment.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

SNESGuy
Title: El Duderino
PostPosted: Sep 05 2010 03:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I dont know what to think of this, honestly never been a fan of Superhero TV shows

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Sep 05 2010 09:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Absolutely on the fence. I'll gladly check it out, but honestly? Who in the name of god could possibly be qualified to play these characters, let alone Morpheus himself? What director and designer could possibly bring those panels to life with any kind of fidelity, especially on a TV budget? I dunno, man. Confused

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Lady_Satine
PostPosted: Sep 06 2010 03:12 am Reply with quote Back to top

SoldierHawk wrote:
Absolutely on the fence. I'll gladly check it out, but honestly? Who in the name of god could possibly be qualified to play ...Morpheus himself?

What about Alan Rickman?

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Sep 06 2010 01:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

lordsathien wrote:
SoldierHawk wrote:
Absolutely on the fence. I'll gladly check it out, but honestly? Who in the name of god could possibly be qualified to play ...Morpheus himself?

What about Alan Rickman?

Ok fine. Utterly fantastic point conceded. If they can convince Allan Rickman to sign on for this, I'll bankroll it myself. That still leaves the rest of the Endless, though. Not to mention the three faces of the Devil.

Honestly I'd be more comfortable with this as a mini-series (a la, I dunno, say "It.") Tell the story in the comic book, then let it end. Don't try to add or shoehorn unnecessary stuff in there, or keep it going past when it needs to end. A miniseries would be far more likely to attract skilled actors (who wouldn't have to commit to season after season) and be more likely to get a decent effects budget for all of the dreams/nightmares they're going to be trying to create.

Tall order, man. I do wonder if Allan Rickman reads comics, though...or where the address might be where I can mail him my Absolute Editions to get him interested... Wink

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Sep 07 2010 11:35 am Reply with quote Back to top

I highly doubt Alan Rickman reads comic books. Nicholas Cage doesn't have anything else to do, Alan Rickman is still, well, an actor with a life.

TheRoboSleuth
Title: Sleuth Mark IV
PostPosted: Sep 07 2010 08:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

This seems ill advised, though a better idea than lets say a movie, where the entirety of the plot would be smashed into a two hour mess.

Don't count out Alan Rickman, he played Snape in Harry Potter so its not like he's opposed to playing fantasy characters, and Sandman due to great writing, fantastic art, and a "storytelling has power" theme tends to have cultural cache beyond its station amongst the artistic community.

Lady_Satine
PostPosted: Sep 08 2010 12:10 am Reply with quote Back to top

He was also the Caterpillar in Alice in Wonderland.

aeonic
Title: Sporadic Poster
PostPosted: Sep 08 2010 10:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

If Robert Smith of the Cure wasn't so damn old, he'd be a natural for Morpheus. I think that, given the right handling and NOT all WB'ed up, it could have all the promise in the world. Same thing with Kirkman's Walking Dead on AMC, but since it hasn't aired yet, we'll just have to wait and see. I'm interested in seeing how this develops; hopefully, better than the Preacher movie.

Who likes role-playing games? Me. Way too goddamn much.

aika
Title: Narcissist
PostPosted: Sep 16 2010 01:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm worried that this could turn out really, really bad, but on the other hand I'm really excited for it. Eric Kripke did good work with Supernatural, I think, and despite his hang-ups on working with this I think he'd be able to do it justice... hopefully.

Man, this is some of the best news I've had yet today. Very Happy

天上天下唯我独尊

aika
Title: Narcissist
PostPosted: Sep 01 2011 10:54 am Reply with quote Back to top

I know this is totally holy necrothreading, but I knew this thread existed and I didn't see the point in starting a whole new one just for an update, soooo....

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/eric-kripke-sandman-tv-series-167337

According to this (several months old) article, the series isn't happening. Sad At least "not this season," Kripke says. Damn. I hope they get on it in the future, because I would loooove to see this happen.

天上天下唯我独尊

Reply to topic

Jump to: