[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
MTG Standard Constructed

Reply to topic
Rogue Hippo
Title: Lone Wolf Hippo
PostPosted: Aug 22 2010 08:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Someone help me out here.

I've been getting back into Magic. I've only doing booster-drafts or sealed tournaments because I didn't have any cards. Now I'm getting a bunch of cards and I'd like to use them more than one night at a tournament.

I was thinking about going to a standard-constructed night at the local game store so I started researching that format online and it looks kind of BS. Am I right in thinking that you just copy some sweet deck that someone else designed and follow the sideboard instructions on how to handle playing against some other sweet deck that your opponent copied????

Is everybody generally using one of these top decks or do people still bring their own creations?

My cards are almost entirely M11... will I get my ass handed to me?

Is there some other format that will make better use of my limited card collection?

Thanks for your help.
aeonic
Title: Sporadic Poster
PostPosted: Aug 22 2010 10:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've never used a deck that I've found online or in the now defunct Duelist magazine or anything. It would be the same to me as copying someone else's character sheet in D&D or something. The last deck that I made was a Vampire one when Rise of the Eldrazi came out and I'd bought some cards and borrowed more from my roommate. I'm still trying to work on another one now, but I only play once or twice a month. M11 is a solid core set, so no, you won't likely get your ass handed to you, and if you do, you know that you're not a piece of shit who just built a deck according to what someone else came up with. As for sideboards... fuck sideboards. If your deck can't stand on it's own, you're not as good as you think. I always thought they were a bitch move.

Who likes role-playing games? Me. Way too goddamn much.

JonSnow
PostPosted: Aug 23 2010 03:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

The best thing you can do right now is just do drafts, and 6 sealed like you're currently doing.

IF you want to compete and potentially win a Standard Tourney you'll either need to buy packs, trade with the cards you have or check out Craig's List/E-bay so you can buy particular card or perhaps a premade set.

Your conclusion is pretty accurate a lot of so called pros just do exactly that. I would say this though techincally your best deck.. will be based off your local metagame. What i mean is they're might not be the same distribution or same types of decks being run at your local tourneys as with the proleagues. Maybe a certain pro level deck is noticeable cheaper than all the rest to construct, so everyone at your local shop runs that one. In that case your best off running a deck that can function but also can heavily counter that one, and that deck that you're playing might not even be played on the pro-level. Since for you, in this hypothetical scenario... in order to have a high chance of winning the tourney you just need to stop a certain type of deck.

That's pretty much the only difference.. pro decks are good and are just going to work regardless, they're designed that way, but you perhaps for your particular pool of opponent it may be best to build a different deck.

Cool you're getting into MTG... I personally don't care for netdecking, i like originality, but i do believe it's fine to learn from the experts who are posting online. I just don't like copying takes from the game IMO. If you happen to build a similar deck fine. Lastly you can look into OCTGN a free program that you can use to play people in many different card games online, very easy to use.. i use it, and really fun. Good way to experiment with a deck in any particular card game and can play with friends or random strangers in the many online communites that use OCTGN 2. Very easy to use, if you're interested in it PM I can help you set it up.

www.octgn.net

The One Truth Will Prevail
Brawl Code: 1805-1876-7506

Reply to topic

Jump to: