"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
LARPing

Reply to topic
aeonic
Title: Sporadic Poster
PostPosted: Aug 18 2010 01:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I know this is toys and stuff, but since it's technically playing a game, this makes the best default category. Has anyone ever participated in a LARP before? I was in one for the span of one evening, and I was disappointed. It was a Vampire: Dark Ages LARP and in the process of three hours, myself and my best friend (who was only there to get cozy with one of the chicks there) pretty much destroyed the whole thing and orchestrated a coup. I'm sure there's really great LARP games out there, but I've never experienced one. Opinions? Horror stories? Anything?

Who likes role-playing games? Me. Way too goddamn much.

Rogue Hippo
Title: Lone Wolf Hippo
PostPosted: Aug 18 2010 02:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've never tried LARPing but this documentary about it was pretty solid... I recommend it.

Some guy has a line like "They're just imaginary hexes on a map. But when someone wants your imaginary hexes you get upset." I'm probably dorky enough to relate to that.

"What! Some fake wood elves are invading our fake realm?! Not on my watch! Capernicus (my fake horse), lets put and end to this mockery! "
UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Aug 18 2010 04:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've played in a LARP run by a company that rents out a scout camp for a weekend and sets up a scenario. Everyone gets up in costume, combat is done with boffer weapons made from PVC piping and foam (you make your own), magic is done by chucking packets of birdseed. It was fun, but relaly took a lot out of you.
aeonic
PostPosted: Aug 18 2010 04:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

UsaSatsui wrote:
I've played in a LARP run by a company that rents out a scout camp for a weekend and sets up a scenario. Everyone gets up in costume, combat is done with boffer weapons made from PVC piping and foam (you make your own), magic is done by chucking packets of birdseed. It was fun, but relaly took a lot out of you.

See, that sounds like it could be enjoyable. This one was basically a bunch of people in black clothes shambling around, pretending to conspire, and then doing absolutely ridiculous things like the Ravnos who used Chimerstry (blood-based illusion powers) to make a gigantic image of himself in full sight of a whole village full of people. It was lame and I had to go to work right after it, so it was tiring too.

JonSnow
PostPosted: Aug 18 2010 05:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

All role play just depends on who you're with. That's the bottom line, you could be naked with no props out in the middle of a corn field, and it could be awesome. I think props can help... all in the RP. When i think of LARPing I think of D'n'D except where i am playing my actual character piece.

The One Truth Will Prevail
Brawl Code: 1805-1876-7506

aeonic
PostPosted: Aug 18 2010 05:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

JonSnow wrote:
All role play just depends on who you're with. That's the bottom line, you could be naked with no props out in the middle of a corn field, and it could be awesome.

This.

Reply to topic

Jump to: