"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
NHL Playoffs

Reply to topic
lavalarva
2011 SNES Champ
PostPosted: May 13 2010 04:10 am Reply with quote Back to top

Why isn't there a thread about this yet? While it's going pretty normally in the West (seed 1 vs seed 2 woohoo), the East is quite interesting and completely fucked up :

- The first three seeds were eliminated in the first round, and the teams still alive were seeded 6th, 7th and 8th;
- Montreal, the team ranked 19th in the league in the regular season, eliminated both the team ranked 1st (Capitals) and the defending champions (Penguins);
- The Flyers might win their series against the Bruins in Game 7 after trailing 3-0. That would be the first time since 1975 such a comeback happened.

No matter what, this will be an awesome year. The Sharks, Blackhawks, Flyers and Bruins are all teams I like, and which haven't won the cup for a long time or ever.

But, as I'm a Habs fan and they're still in, they can all go fuck themselves. Especially the Bruins, we meet them all the fucking time, dammit.
SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: May 13 2010 04:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I haven't started a thread about this because I'm a diehard Edmonton Oilers fan. That pretty much speaks for itself, I assume. Crying

My small consolation is that the fucking Lames missed the playoffs by one spot. That means they don't get a shot at the Cup and get a lousy draft pick, while we at least get the first overall pick. I wish it was a better draft year, but hey, first is first.

Of the remaining teams, I guess I'd like to see either Boston or Chicago take it--I guess Chicago, because they have Hawk in the name, and plus I hate UCLA (who also have a Bruin as a mascot.) The Flyers wouldn't be bad either honestly, though. Anyone but the Sharks. Not as bad as the Flames or Kings, but I REALLY don't like them.

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

lavalarva
2011 SNES Champ
PostPosted: May 13 2010 04:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

Just hope you have good recruiters. Look at the Red Wings, a bunch of the awesome players that allowed them to dominate the league were round 3 or later picks.

And the Oilers have it better than the Leafs at least. Last in the East, and no Round 1 picks because they traded it to the Bruins.
They did well near the end though, so maybe next year they'll finally make it to the playoffs. Or at least not end up dead last. Maybe.

And the Habs should make a lot of money, the Bell Centre is sold out even when it's the other team who's hosting the game Very Happy
chazzlabs
PostPosted: May 13 2010 09:27 am Reply with quote Back to top

It's been an awesome week to be a Flyers fan. They've just dominated the Briuns the last couple games. Hopefully they come out on top tomorrow because it would be a shame to come back from 3-0 to lose game 7.
GPFontaine
PostPosted: May 13 2010 11:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

I haven't been able to get that into hockey since the second strike. The strike, coupled by rule changes, and a decade of teams running the Trap defense really turned me off to watching it.

I would love to get back into it, but the truth is, almost no one talks about it, there are very few charismatic "hero" players around anymore and the game just feels different.

Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
Title: 2011 Picnic/Death Champ
PostPosted: May 13 2010 12:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I am a borderline hockey fan. It's the most entertaining sport I've seen live, but it's tough for me to watch on TV during the regular season. The playoffs, however, are where hockey shines...especially Game 7s. I am a Bruins 'fan' though by no means an expert...I'd much rather devote my time to baseball, football, and college sports. So, despite my lack of expertise, I'm picking the Sharks this year(shocker). They have been set up to do well in the playoffs for a few years now and always choke. This year seems to be different, as they handled the first two rounds fairly easily. They are the best team left.

The Canadiens story is unbelievable, and if they make the Finals instead of the Bruins I will have to root for them.

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

SSNintendo
Title: Likes to Blow Sh*t Up
PostPosted: May 13 2010 05:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well my team, the Caps, were eliminated by Montreal. But it feels good to see Pittsburgh go down.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo Messenger
lavalarva
2011 SNES Champ
PostPosted: May 13 2010 08:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I was really fucking happy Montreal beat the Caps personally. I don't hate the team itself, but they have Ovechkin, the player I hate the most in the NHL, by far.

The guy is an asshole to fans, to the media, he's not doing shit half the time on the ice (when he doesn't have the puck, so he sucks ass at defense),
he's a dirty player who keeps checking other players with cheap shots and knows he won't get in trouble because he's one of the league's stars.

But what really pissed me off is when he snowed that kid before Game 3 in Montreal. What a fucking dumbass.

Oh, and maybe they would have won if they sent Theodore instead. The guy is fucking awesome in the regular season, and you barely give him a chance to play in the playoffs? Really?

As for the Penguins...that was weird. You could see there was no hate whatsoever between the two teams. Barely any more brawls or fights than in regular season games.
Thorton02
PostPosted: May 14 2010 08:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

Since my Sabres were knocked out with very little resistance.........I guess I'm rooting for the Flyers. Although, a Chicago vs. Montreal final would be exciting. If Montreal wins it all, everyone needs to head up there. My god, they almost torched the town after wining the semi-finals. They're not even in the conference finals yet. Nothing like a good sports riot.

No, I don't think I will fuck Stummies.

lavalarva
2011 SNES Champ
PostPosted: May 14 2010 05:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It's not the fans who're rioting, it's some assholes taking advantage of the fact there'll be huge crowds going out of the Bell Centre or walking the streets after a win.
Almost all of them were below 20, and probably on welfare or from some shithole in Montréal, like Montréal-Nord.
lavalarva
2011 SNES Champ
PostPosted: May 14 2010 10:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

EDIT : Flyers trailed 3-0 before winning Game Seven 4-3, and thus win the series 4-3 after trailing 3-0.
The Bruins need to learn how to keep a lead. Like, 40 minutes is WAY too long to start playing defensively and make a wall in the defensive zone,
unless you're like the Habs and have an awesome goalkeeper and players who pay the price by blocking 50 shots in a game.
The momentum shifted to the Flyers and the Bruins never managed to get it back.

The Flyers won't be easy to beat, because unlike the Caps and Penguins they actually play like a team, but at least there won't be as much shots to block, meaning less risks of injury.
Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: May 14 2010 10:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

First time in 35 years a team has come back from a 3-0 deficit to win a series. Incredible.

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
Title: 2011 Picnic/Death Champ
PostPosted: May 14 2010 10:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That was a crazy series. WTF, Bruins? I'm officially rooting for Montreal the rest of the way. Let's hope the insane story continues.

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

Thorton02
PostPosted: May 17 2010 09:14 am Reply with quote Back to top

Lava, you're right. It's always a bunch of kids that start that crap. I wasn't knocking on the city or the fans. Well, I do have a problem with Canadien fans, but it's the same problem I have with Maple Leaf and Senator fans(sarcasm).

Tough loss, but it was bound to happen. Curious to see who starts in goal in game two. Good thing they didn't trade away Price.

ChiSoxFan
Title: Chicago Sports Fan
PostPosted: May 18 2010 11:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

Since the beginning of the playoffs, Antti Niemi (Blackhawks goalie) has gone from "weakest link" to "glue that holds the team together".

He made some RIDICULOUS saves Sunday to bail out the Hawks D, including one late in the second where he reached BEHIND himself with his glove and stopped a shot from Ryane Clowe that came about 2mm from crossing the goal line.

Basically, I think no matter what, the Hawks have to find a way to keep Niemi. But first, we have to get rid of "Albatross" Huet...what a waste of money that guy is.

PSN & Xbox LIVE gamertag -ChiSoxFan913

Thorton02
PostPosted: May 18 2010 12:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

When you say bail out Hawks D, I'm assuming you're referring to Brian Campbell.

ChiSoxFan
PostPosted: May 18 2010 11:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thorton02 wrote:
When you say bail out Hawks D, I'm assuming you're referring to Brian Campbell.

Well, the Hawks D hasn't really been what it was in the regular season, especially since Campbell took that hit from Ovechkin.

But really, the Hawks D in that last minute against the Sharks should have been scored on at least twice. On one opportunity, Niemi stopped it, and on the other, Heatley (?) just whiffed on the open net. Granted, it was a 6-on-4, and that's why I'm happy that we escaped with that game.

So far so good for the Hawks...2-0 Hawks, Byfuglien just scored. He's a beast in the playoffs, especially against Vancouver...he's in their head, majorly.

EDIT: Make that 3-0 Hawks. PP Goal.

Thorton02
PostPosted: May 19 2010 10:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

That game was amazing. The playoffs IMO were really boring up to this point but now are totally awesome. I haven't been able to enjoy the conference finals and SC for a long time since I hate Detroit and Pittsburg. Chicago is really fun to watch and I'm mildly routing for SJ just because I've never seen them play with this kind of passion in the post season before.

Is Byfuglien really that good? He's an animal and I want him on Buffalo.

ChiSoxFan
PostPosted: May 19 2010 10:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

Thorton02 wrote:
That game was amazing. The playoffs IMO were really boring up to this point but now are totally awesome. I haven't been able to enjoy the conference finals and SC for a long time since I hate Detroit and Pittsburg. Chicago is really fun to watch and I'm mildly routing for SJ just because I've never seen them play with this kind of passion in the post season before.

Is Byfuglien really that good? He's an animal and I want him on Buffalo.

For some reason, Byfuglien is much better in the playoffs than he is in the regular season. He seems to take games off mentally in the regular season. But if he plays to his potential (i.e. like he is now), he is a very solid 2-3rd line winger who can also play defense in a pinch (as he was originally a D-guy, but Quenneville shifted him to winger to use his body as a net presence, an experiment that has paid off in spades, especially against Vancouver)

However, the Hawks are in trouble cap-wise, so they may have to let Byfuglien go after this season, along with Sharp, Versteeg, and (worst-case scenario) Niemi.

lavalarva
2011 SNES Champ
PostPosted: May 20 2010 09:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The Flyers shutout the Habs in the first two games, and the Habs almost did the same thing in the third, but the Flyers scored a lucky goal.
But at least they scored 5 goals so people got chicken wings.

So 2-1 Flyers, but they played worse and worse every game, so I'm confident we'll either dominate them again or that we'll actually get a close game for once.
Ross Rifle
Title: Rock N Roll God
PostPosted: May 22 2010 11:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah? YEAH? WELL FUCK YOU MAN!!! GO FLYERS GO! GO FLYERS GO!!!!!!

...sorry.

Does anybody here have a Ross Rifle?
www.thetwowordsmusic.com
www.myspace.com/rossrifle

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
anorexorcist
Title: Polar Bear
PostPosted: May 22 2010 05:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, go Flyers. If the Flyers win, Mike Richards will enter a very elite group of players, players that have one a Memorial Cup, World Junior Gold medal, Olympic Gold medal and a Stanley Cup. He mau also have a World Championship gold but I don't remember.

He won the Mem. Cup with my home-town Kitchener Rangers, and since I'm a Leaf fan I'd much rather chear for him than Montreal.

Not sure Philly can win the Cup, but it would be a great series if the Hawks make it out of the West. Two very physical teams with skill, it would be brutal.

Lawyers, Guns and Money

lavalarva
2011 SNES Champ
PostPosted: May 22 2010 06:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think the Habs will come back from 1-3 (again). I doubt the Flyers will do like the Caps and throw away Game 5 and Game 6 because they're lazy in the first 10 minutes.
I'll hope for another miracle, but the Habs can't seem to do shit when the Flyers play their game.

As for the Leafs, they suck so much it's hard to hate them. I'd like to see a Montreal-Toronto series because it would be fucking intense,
but with the recent trades they made they better make the playoffs next year or they'll remain the punching bag of the East for a pretty long time.
ChiSoxFan
PostPosted: May 23 2010 08:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It's official:

The Chicago Blackhawks will be representing the Western Conference in the Stanley Cup Finals with a 4-2 win over San Jose to sweep the series. This is the third straight year that the Western Conference champion came out of the Central division (Detroit the last 2 years).

Byfuglien and Bolland were huge this game. Byfuglien has scored goals in 5 straight games, and had 3(!) game-winning goals this series. This guy is really doing his damndest to make the Hawks sign him.

ChiSoxFan
PostPosted: May 24 2010 09:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Chicago Blackhawks vs. Philadelphia Flyers for the Stanley Cup.

Reply to topic

Jump to: