[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
WWE bans chairshots to the head!

Reply to topic
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Mar 20 2010 01:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

*The WWE has eliminated using folding metal chairs to “strike” an opponent in the head.

*The WWE penalizes through fine and/or suspension the following:

-The intentional use of a folding metal chair to “strike” an opponent in the head.

-Any blow to the head that is deemed an INTENTIONAL act.

*The fine and/or suspension will be directed by the EVP of Talent Relations.

WWE spokesperson Robert Zimmerman recently commented to Connecticut’s Hartford Courant newspaper about the chairshot ban:

“In January 2010, WWE amended its Talent Wellness Program, specifically regarding the ImPACT™ Concussion Management Program originally instituted in 2008, eliminating the use of folding chairs or props to “strike” an opponent in the head.”

Fucking lame. The chairshot to the head is a time-honored tradition!
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Doddsino
PostPosted: Mar 20 2010 02:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

What next? Are they going to ban wrestling? ON THE WRESTLING SHOW?

Here's a fucking hint WWE, not everyone is Chris Benoit. And chairshots, steroids, brain injuries or not, something else caused that stupid fuck to murder his family.
sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
Title: ( ͡� &#8
PostPosted: Mar 20 2010 02:32 am Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe now they can use those chairs to sit down and discuss their feelings rather than fight all the time.

Shake it, Quake it, Space Kaboom.

Pandajuice
Title: The Power of Grayskull
PostPosted: Mar 20 2010 06:32 am Reply with quote Back to top

It's funny how the WWE continues to pretend they're a real sport and need to cut down on "injuries". When's the last time a wrestler got a real concussion in the ring from a folding chair? Clearly, it's a serious issue . Rolling Eyes
Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Mar 20 2010 11:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

Chairshots to the head are classic wrasslin, how dumb.

Chile Guy
Title: Token Latino Otaku
PostPosted: Mar 20 2010 11:35 am Reply with quote Back to top

They already cut off the blood, the swearing, serious tag team and women's wrestling and now chairshots.
Next, they'll cut off their own ratings.

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Mar 20 2010 05:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Chile Guy wrote:
They already cut off the blood, the swearing, serious tag team and women's wrestling and now chairshots.
Next, they'll cut off their own ratings.

Oh, they cut off their ratings YEARS ago, man. The last time I remember being entertained by a full wrestling show and the feuds therein was...Wrestlemania 19, I think. It was all downhill after that, with the exception of a few bright spots here and there.

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Ba'al
Title: Zerg Zergling
PostPosted: Mar 20 2010 05:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Huh, I thought that was fake news being spread around. I also figured if it was true, that they only meant unprotected chairshots without the receiver putting their hands up.

Oh yeah, and WMXIX was the best PPV of all-time. Just felt like mentioning that, the only thing it was missing was a Royal Rumble and Randy Savage.

SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Mar 20 2010 05:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ba'al wrote:
Huh, I thought that was fake news being spread around. I also figured if it was true, that they only meant unprotected chairshots without the receiver putting their hands up.

Oh yeah, and WMXIX was the best PPV of all-time. Just felt like mentioning that, the only thing it was missing was a Royal Rumble and Randy Savage.

Hard to disagree there...I think objectively, you're totally right about WM 19. However, my *personal* favorite PPV will always be SummerSlam 2002. Return of HBK (not to mention the epic match with HHH), Lesnar, when he was good, vs The Rock, Benoit was there....RVD was there...Rey Mysterio was there...damn that was good.

I'd follow it closely with WM 19 though, and then...gah, brain fart, I think it was Survivor Series 2002? First Elimination Chamber match, where HBK won the championship. (Really, I should probably call that MATCH a favorite match, and not the PPV as a whole, but...that moment was so awesome for me, I can't help it.)

More on topic, I wonder if you're right about the *unprotected* part of the chair shot thing. That would make a lot more sense, and I don't think ANY fans will begrudge the wrestlers for covering up when taking one, even if it does look a little worked. I'd rather see that than watch a guy get seriously injured for no real reason.

militarysignatures.com

Doddsino
PostPosted: Mar 20 2010 05:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

WM21 was the last truly great WM. It sucks because I ended up going to WM22 and not enjoying it that much.

And as far as Randy Savage is concerned, apparently Savage asked both TNA and WWE to say something, regarding the death of his father Angelo. TNA did, WWE didn't. So take that for what you will...
SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Mar 20 2010 06:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The WWE drives me insane... All in all, you're just another brick in the wall.

Dodd, you're going to have to refresh my memory...what were the major parts of the card of WM 21? (I'd google it but I'm using my phone, and its a huge pita to navigate searches with it.)

militarysignatures.com

UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Mar 20 2010 06:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I think this must mean unprotected chairshots. The classic "shot to the head" is timeless and pretty safe, if the person receiving it can defend themselves. But if you can't get your hands up...ugh. I remember The Rock and Mankind.

And honestly, when they "ban" something, I think what it means is they only take it out on special occasions. Like when they put the kibosh on piledrivers.
Blackout
PostPosted: Mar 21 2010 03:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

They should ban being lowered in to the ring via harness and grapple line.

Doddsino
PostPosted: Mar 21 2010 03:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Believe it or not, they did. There haven't been any entrances like that since Owen's.
uncle joe
PostPosted: Mar 22 2010 05:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

My brother's idiot friend hit me in the head with a stop sign when I was walking to the living room, and I was dizzy for the rest of the day, so I imagine a damned chair, "legit" folding chair or not.

The only thing that has me a bit tarded about what they've done lately is the blacking out of blood (even though it kind of looks cool). I'm glad they don't overuse the blood effect anymore, because when someone's busted open, it has much much more impact now, but damn, a lil crimson is nice once in a while.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Mar 22 2010 07:31 am Reply with quote Back to top

No blood! No chairshots! FINAL DESTINATION ONLY!
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Blackout
PostPosted: Mar 22 2010 10:26 am Reply with quote Back to top

Why was there a stop sign in the living room? Confused

Also, they black out blood now? What about MMA, that's bloodtastic! Rolling Eyes

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Mar 22 2010 12:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

This is funny. A fake fighting show with actors has made a fucking public rule about how the fake fighting can't be done instead of just avoiding doing it.

Oh I understand that the hits are real and that people could get hurt. I'm not denying that the chair shot is not a wise decision, but don't script it then.

Doddsino
PostPosted: Mar 22 2010 12:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The matches aren't scripted, they actually do it on the fly. Bret Hart said in his book that a lot of the time back in the day, Vince was against blood and didn't like blading, but he perfected the way he did it so it always looked like a legit bust. Even the Submission match at WM13 wasn't supposed to have blood, but that shot of Austin's face with blood running down it was epic, it actually made the match better.
Ghandi
Title: Alexz Aficionado
PostPosted: Mar 22 2010 02:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Chairshots are a wrestling tradition. I can't imagine a world without them. WWE just got a lot more boring. Sad

RIP Hacker

Alexz Johnson

uncle joe
PostPosted: Mar 22 2010 02:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Blackout wrote:
Why was there a stop sign in the living room? Confused

I wish I knew too.

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Mar 22 2010 03:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Doddsino wrote:
The matches aren't scripted, they actually do it on the fly. Bret Hart said in his book that a lot of the time back in the day, Vince was against blood and didn't like blading, but he perfected the way he did it so it always looked like a legit bust. Even the Submission match at WM13 wasn't supposed to have blood, but that shot of Austin's face with blood running down it was epic, it actually made the match better.

Bull fucking shit.

They won't swing a damn chair if there isn't a chair to swing.

They won't swing a chair if in a private meeting they are told not to.

They won't swing a chair if they are sent an email on their PDA from the WWE telling them not to.

I know that the entire events aren't scripted, but they have things that they are supposed to accomplish. It is as real as The Hills.

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Mar 22 2010 03:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

One, chair shots hurts, there is no way to fake a direct shot to the head. (Overhead swing)

See here:

Two, chairshots to the head have been banned for three months, and nobody noticed until now, only because someone said something.

Batisa and Cena covered up that fact pretty well, and still made a brutal use of a chair a few weeks ago:
Start at 3:00 mark:

Doddsino
PostPosted: Mar 22 2010 07:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

By brutal use, you mean having Cena sell the chairshots is some of the most over ridiculous acting I've ever seen. And even by Cena standards, that was some of the worst. Don't get me wrong, I'm still intrigued by this match, but good Lord, he's one of the shittiest sellers I've ever seen.

And GP, I wasn't really refering to the chairshots, as I was to the blood, although if it was a no DQ match back in the day, chairshots were sort of expected but not scripted.
seinfeld
PostPosted: Mar 23 2010 12:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

Sure it sucks, but it does help prevent concussions. Even though it's ruining it for the fan, WWE is just protecting their employees.
Reply to topic

Jump to: