SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Lord of the Rings reading edition

Reply to topic
APLETHORAOFPINATAS
PostPosted: Feb 10 2010 10:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

So I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to books I love. I always want some sort of good hard-cover edition. I currently have 2 editions of LOTR but the issue is that both are sort of collectors editions and aren't really reading copies. I'm looking for a great hardcover reading copy and looking for recomendations from you guys. Essentially what I'm looking for is a 3 book set thats small enough that I can hold it in my hand. and keep it open with one hand.

http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Rings-Fellowship-Ring-Pt/dp/0007136595/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_9

and

http://www.borders.com/online/store/TitleDetail?sku=0618517650

and currently what I own. I'd love to get an english edition I dont know if any of you have experience with that sort of things.

In a way, each of us has an El Guapo to face. For some, shyness might be their El Guapo. For others, a lack of education might be their El Guapo. For us, El Guapo is a big, dangerous man who wants to kill us. But as sure as my name is Lucky Day, the people of Santa Poco can conquer their own personal El Guapo, who also happens to be *the actual* El Guapo!

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Feb 10 2010 12:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Does it need to be hardcover? I have two beautiful collector's editions, but I bought a ultra-cheap, movie-tie in softcover boxset for general reading purposes. It's been great so far. They can get beat to hell and back (and do) and I don't have to worry about it. (This here: http://www.amazon.com/J-R-R-Tolkien-Boxed-Hobbit-Rings/dp/0345340426/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265820511&sr=1-1 Price is totally right, and they even include The Hobbit). There are other, nicer sets out there, but the majority of reasonably priced, readable box sets are going to be paperback I think.

For softcover box sets that are not collectible but a good reading size and don't have crappy movie tie-in photos on the cover, I own this set, and am very pleased with it: http://www.amazon.com/Hobbit-Lord-Rings-Boxed-Set/dp/B001DBWBXO/ref=sr_1_85?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265820693&sr=1-85

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

APLETHORAOFPINATAS
PostPosted: Feb 10 2010 01:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm glad Im not alone in loving these books enough to own more than one copy. I just found these on amazon.co.uk. They would have to be imported and they cost a bit more than their american counterparts but I love the design and they look very manageable in size. The covers are unused cover designs by Tolkien himself. Pretty cool if you ask me.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0007203543/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0007203551/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/000720356X/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

I may be purchasing these at some point, after I save a little money for the wedding and all.

In a way, each of us has an El Guapo to face. For some, shyness might be their El Guapo. For others, a lack of education might be their El Guapo. For us, El Guapo is a big, dangerous man who wants to kill us. But as sure as my name is Lucky Day, the people of Santa Poco can conquer their own personal El Guapo, who also happens to be *the actual* El Guapo!

SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Feb 10 2010 02:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Oh I quite like those! Very cool looking, and more than worthy of a midrange reading set I think. (I.e. good for general daily reading purposes, but not the set you want to just throw on a car seat or stuff in the bottom of a rucksack during a field mission Wink ).

Fwiw, I think I have...four different editions lol. One big, expensive beautiful box set with the Alan Lee illustrations, one edition with all three stories bound together in one book, and two paperback box sets. (I'm the same way with Shakespeare...I have like three Complete Works, a huge and gorgeous tri-book boxed set, and one set where every play is its own small book. Great for portability.)

I really need a decent edition of The Hobbit though. The only one I have now came with the crappy movie tie-in boxed set. I'm thinking of getting the 70th anniversary Alan Lee illustrated hardcover...readily available, looks very pretty, and not even very expensive.

militarysignatures.com

APLETHORAOFPINATAS
PostPosted: Feb 10 2010 02:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Is that Hobbit the one with the original green cover? I've been thinking of getting that one myself. While I have your ear any recomendatiosn for some fantasy thats on a comparable level with LOTR or earthsea or even Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norrel, which if you havent read is fantastic!

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Feb 10 2010 03:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

If you want fantasy based heavily on LOTR, I highly suggest the Dragonlance series. Start with the Cronicles (Dragons of Autum Twilight, Dragons of Winter Night, Dragons of Spring Dawning.) Then the Legends. (Time of The Twins, War of the Twins, Test of The Twins). Then "Dragons of Summer Flame". Then read the War Of The Souls (Dragons of a Fallen Sun, Dragons of a Lost Star, Dragons of a Vanished Moon).

Those are the core of the main stories. If you like that whole series, then you can read all the other books. (The Preludes, The Raistlin Saga, The Dark Cronicles, etc.)
SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Feb 10 2010 04:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Knyte speaks truth; if you like LOTR, DragonLance is a very logical next step. You might also consider investigating Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. I *almost* hesitate to recommend it just because it really tends to get bogged down and drag in a lot of places, but so many people love the series so much I can't leave it out--besides, the world he creates is just incredible and quite unique (as high-fantasy settings go) in a lot of ways. (Besides, if you can make it through LOTR happy, you can read almost anything. The problem with Jordan is he's not nearly as good a writer as Tolkien, so when he gets distracted by four pages of irrelevant description, it tends to be a lot more painful than it is in LOTR.) I won't blame you if you don't get farther than book two or three, but its well worth a look to see if it does anything for you.

To answer your other question though, this is the version of The Hobbit I'm looking at: http://www.amazon.com/Hobbit-Illustrated-J-R-R-Tolkien/dp/0395873460/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I35YOBLOQU38R7&colid=2YF5ARJ9ZF680

militarysignatures.com

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Feb 10 2010 04:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

and the WoT series is finally coming to an end. they released book 12a in november. now we need to wait for 12b & 12c to finally finish.

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Feb 10 2010 05:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

username wrote:
and the WoT series is finally coming to an end. they released book 12a in november. now we need to wait for 12b & 12c to finally finish.

Oh dear god, there's a 12b and 12c? Then it's not really a 12-book series, now is it Mr. Jordan's estate? Rolling Eyes

militarysignatures.com

APLETHORAOFPINATAS
PostPosted: Feb 10 2010 05:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

oh yea Ive seen that before. Very nice looking I love that guys art!

Thorton02
PostPosted: Feb 11 2010 09:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I had to post on this topic because I love the books and own multiple copies from back in the day.

I'm not sure if it's come up in other threads, but if you haven't already, I highly recommend reading Beowulf(the poem, not some stupid knockoff from the movie). I was floored when I realized how much of Tolkien's middle earth comes directly from this story.

No, I don't think I will fuck Stummies.

SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Feb 12 2010 02:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

^ Could not agree more. Beowulf is easily one of my all time favorite pieces of literature. I wouldn't recommend to someone just searching for more Tolkienesque fantasy just because the poetry/prose is difficult at the best of times, and a decent translation is even harder to come by, especially if you don't know you should be looking for one.

Those caveats aside though, Pleth, if you're looking to go off the beaten path and drink deep from the font of literature (and Tolkien's inspiration,) Thorton is completely right--you could do no better than Beowulf.

Which reminds me: read the Chronicles of Narnia, if you haven't yet. They aren't the best written books in the world and the Christian symbolism is worked in with all the bluntness of a sledgehammer, but its still worth the time just because of how classic they are, and how important they are to the genre. Each of them are quick reads. (Worth noting, too, that C.S. Lewis and Tolkien were good friends, and corresponded--and argued about religion--a whole lot.) Some of the characters you'll meet in the books are well worth the price of admission in and of themselves. (Aslan, Reepicheep, Eustace, Shasta, Bree, Caspian...they're all wonderful. And don't let the stupid CGI-wankfest movie convince you they're not.)

militarysignatures.com

Reply to topic

Jump to: