[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
so I was reading penny arcade today....

Reply to topic
FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Jan 17 2010 02:54 am Reply with quote Back to top

...and they mentioned something interesting:

Quote:
We had originally read that a new printing of Dante's Inferno was a "novelization," which implies that the game had been turned into a novel, which is untrue: the truth is actually much weirder. Tie-ins (particularly for Visceral Games, whose Dead Space could be considered a broad-spectrum new media template) would be utterly normal, dog-bites-man stuff, with a pH of seven exactly.

What they are actually doing is reprinting the seven century old poem, appending game assets, and then sheathing the whole thing in game-specific branding.

Maybe it isn't entirely forthright, putting a crusader badass the cover of your medieval allegory - but I don't care. In fact, I support this kind of thing wholeheartedly: fact is, sometimes you got to lie to a motherfucker. If showing a dude holding a giant spine with an aftermarket scythe affixed is what it takes to get young men to read a single page of the classics, than so be it. I hope these shenanigans work like gangbusters. We've got your backs on this thing. Looky here, we'll even prime the pump.

How do y'all feel about books being marketed like this? I've seen it done for books that had movie adaptions before, but not to this extent. Personally I would totally buy moby dick again, if it had this cover:

Neutral-Bob
Title: Zarkin Frood
PostPosted: Jan 17 2010 03:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

Damn...just damn. If they actually marketed the book like this I'd be inclined to agree. Although to be honest I never really cared for Moby Dick. It felt like it spent more time describing the various parts of the ship then it did developing the characters.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S Lewis

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Jan 17 2010 04:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

Neutral-Bob wrote:
Damn...just damn. If they actually marketed the book like this I'd be inclined to agree. Although to be honest I never really cared for Moby Dick. It felt like it spent more time describing the various parts of the ship then it did developing the characters.

It did. That's what comes when you hire a nautical obsessive who gets paid to write by the word to write you a book. Rolling Eyes My recommendation: find a good abridged version. The story is actually pretty damn epic when the excess is trimmed. (As a lit major, a lot of me lives for this excess, but even I just want to read an all-story version sometime.) Sadly my favorite book, Les Miserables, suffers from the same problem--I also recommend a good abridged version of that, to get the awesome story.

Ahem. End rant. As to the original question...I say more power to 'em. I don't think slapping a new cover on the story cheapens it at all (well...not very much anyway), and, being the budding literature/history teacher that I am, I'm completely psyched by the idea of ANYTHING that will get someone to voluntarily pick up a book--especially one of this difficulty. I hope they have great success with the experiment. I can't believe I'm saying this, but good for EA.

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Jan 18 2010 12:41 am Reply with quote Back to top

look! a les miserables anime!

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Jan 18 2010 02:41 am Reply with quote Back to top

I....I have no words. I am absolutely flabbergasted, and must seek this out immediately so I can decide if its either the most awesome thing ever in the entire world, or an abomination. So far, all smart bets are on awesome.

Thanks for the heads up on this! Incredible how versatile his work is...

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Jan 18 2010 09:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

An anime version of Les Miserables can only be a good thing. Talk about an extreeeemely boring read, and even you gotta agree Hawk.

Reply to topic

Jump to: