jprime
Title: Ex-GameWinners
PostPosted: Jan 11 2010 07:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Jan 11 2010 07:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

for those that dont like clicking:
Quote:
NEW YORK - Mark McGwire finally came clean, admitting he used steroids when he broke baseball's home run record in 1998.

McGwire said in a statement sent to The Associated Press on Monday he used steroids on and off for nearly a decade.

i got 'yelled' at when i used to just post links back in the day w/out any sort of description. why does no one yell at this guy?

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jan 11 2010 08:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah. The main text of your post should give some indication as to what the thread title means. Otherwise, make your thread title more specific.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
pineapple
PostPosted: Jan 11 2010 08:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Back on topic, if he ever wanted a job in MLB, this day had to come. Anyone with a brain knew he was shooting so this isn't much of a surprise to me but good for him.
sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
Title: ( ͡� &#8
PostPosted: Jan 11 2010 10:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Now he's really fucked up. You're never supposed to cave in and admit it. It's like OJ Simpson, sure everyone knows you're guilty but you can never admit it and give everyone a sense of self satisfaction for being right. All you've got left is the ability to deny the obvious just to piss everyone off some more.

Shake it, Quake it, Space Kaboom.

username
PostPosted: Jan 11 2010 10:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

sidewaydriver wrote:
Now he's really fucked up. You're never supposed to cave in and admit it. It's like OJ Simpson, sure everyone knows you're guilty but you can never admit it and give everyone a sense of self satisfaction for being right. All you've got left is the ability to deny the obvious just to piss everyone off some more.

kind of like when clinton admitted his infidelities

Klimbatize wrote:

Rycona
Title: The Maestro
PostPosted: Jan 11 2010 11:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

sidewaydriver wrote:

Some people's "conscience" genes kick in a little bit too late in life. Soon enough, we'll find the cure from this dreaded thing.

RIP Hacker.

Ghandi
Title: Alexz Aficionado
PostPosted: Jan 12 2010 02:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'll quote CNN. This is the least surprising news bomb I've heard all day.

RIP Hacker

Alexz Johnson

Doddsino
PostPosted: Jan 12 2010 02:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

Fuck McGwire

I'm a long time Cardinals fan, and I never liked this piece of shit. Despite being a fan of the Cardinals, I did not support them when McGwire was going for the homerun record. I jumped ship for about 2 years to the Cubs (which I didn't even like really, in fact I hardly followed baseball at all during this shitty time).

So finally the fucker retires and I can go back to being a Cardinals fan. Of course when the whole steroid scandal broke out a few years ago, it was fucking obvious to anyone that he would be called up on Capitol Hill. Of course, Mr. Bedwetter denied the whole thing, which made him even look more like a douchebag, hell even before the steroid thing was huge, EVERYONE knew McGwire was taking them. Hell, almost every ballplayer besides Ken Griffey Jr. looks significantly more built over a ten year period than they did before. And I'm sure a few ballplayers got big the legit way, but guys like Bonds, McGwire and Giambi...give me a fucking break...they looked TINY in their starting years compared to how they looked later.

So now this fucknaut comes out and admits it. Well too fucking late asshole. Not only does it piss me off that he's back to work with the Cards, but he's decided to put himself in the news once again, for the sake of wanting to "come clean". No, you don't want to come clean...you just want the questions to die off now so that down the line, you have a plausible chance at making the HOF. I don't care how good anyone's stats are before they started using HGH or after, the fact remains they cheated in a time where these things were overlooked and despite not being illegal at the time, it still were secretive about it.

If these assholes are allowed into Cooperstown, I hope they dedicate an entire wing to the steroid abusers.
pineapple
PostPosted: Jan 12 2010 03:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

Meh, you're right Dodd but couldn't you have just stayed a Cardinals fan and hate McGwire instead of liking the Cubs? Did McGwire ruin everything for you?
Doddsino
PostPosted: Jan 12 2010 03:42 am Reply with quote Back to top

He did dude. He even made me hate Tony La Russa/Jim Jones with the way they acted liked friends. I don't know...something about McGwire always set me off. I used to think it was the ginger thing, but it's not that. I thought it might be the nickname "Big Red" which offended me because I liked both the cream soda and the bubble gum by the same name. Really, I don't know what it was, he just seemed like a fucking fraud from day one. Again, when I was a "Cubs fan", it really consisted of me watching the stats on Sportscenter, it's not like I went out and bought merchandise or anything, I just basically wanted Sosa to outdo McGwire. And by no means do I like Sosa.

And believe me, it pains me that I rooted for the Cubs during that time, because I've had this apathedic feeling towards them my entire life, like I don't care if they win, but I do enjoy watching them lose. Unlike the Red Sox, who I did kind of like before Manny, Big Papi and such, the Cubs felt like a cornered mouse and I was the cat who enjoyed toying with it. I remember just hitting the floor with absolute laughter when the fan caught the ball Alou was supposed to catch in 2003. And since I live in a mostly prodominent Cubs area, everyone seemed fucking bummed about it after it happened. Every year some smartfuck Cubs fan says "Next year man, next year we're going all the way."

And that's another thing that set me off, during the big homerun season, everyone jumped ship from the Cubs and became a Cardinals fan. And I can't really answer why I decided to do the opposite, since I usually stick with a team thick and thin, but fuckin' McGwire...man I just hate him. I can't explain it, even now...it pisses me off that the Cards have him back. I actually hope this backfires on him in some way and he's forced to step down, but I doubt it.
scamrock
Title: Space Bastard
PostPosted: Jan 12 2010 04:36 am Reply with quote Back to top

Fuck McGwire, fuck the Cardinals.
YAY ROYALS! YAY BO JACKSON! YAY GEORGE BRETT!
R.I.P. Dan Quisenberry

P.S. Fuck Stan Musial, too.

Doddsino
PostPosted: Jan 12 2010 05:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

Agreed Scamrock, Royals have always been my second favorite team. When I lived in Oklahoma in 1992, we had a Triple A team called the 89er's (now the RedHawks) that my dad worked for. They usually brought in celebs every once in a while, and we got to meet George Brett one of these times. Nice guy, but coincidentally the "Pine Tar Incident" umpire Tim McClelland was working at this game, and Brett was still very standoffish to him.
pineapple
PostPosted: Jan 12 2010 01:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You better have gotten an autograph.
scamrock
Title: Space Bastard
PostPosted: Jan 12 2010 02:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've never been a Cardinals fan. But what really got me pissed was when we started to hit rock bottom, a lot of Cardinal fans started mysteriously popping up around here. I remember going to a game when the Twins came to town. THE TWINS! It was the Twins visiting KC, and there were tons of people at the game wearing Cardinals gear. THE CARDINALS! WTF? I was pissed. That was all I could take. Now, I think I hate the Cardinals more than I like the Royals. It's probably the team I feel most strongly about in all sports.

Doddsino
PostPosted: Jan 12 2010 07:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Of course I got his autograph
pineapple
PostPosted: Jan 12 2010 09:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

On what? I hope a baseball bat.
Doddsino
PostPosted: Jan 12 2010 11:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Nah, I had a card.

Although I have several team signed bats...unfortunately I was in the lockeroom while they signed it. Nothing quite as troubling as being 7 years old and having your bat autographed by a fully naked shortstop.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jan 12 2010 11:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

If McGwire and Bonds get into the Hall of Fame, I'll burn it down. Pete Rose deserves to be in the Hall of Fame way more than those pieces of shit, and he'll never get in. Rose may be a world class fuck-up, but at least he earned his stats.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Doddsino
PostPosted: Jan 12 2010 11:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Exactly.

Hell, even before Rose, I'd like to see Shoeless Joe Jackson and Buck Weaver since there's SO much doubt that both were involved in the scandal, other than accepting the money.
Ice2SeeYou
Title: Sexual Tyrannosaurus
PostPosted: Jan 13 2010 03:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The problem is that you're never going to get rid of drug use in sports. It's too far gone. If you ban one thing, they'll move on to something else. If you develop a test that detects that something else, they'll find a way to alter it so it doesn't show up. It'll be a never-ending game of cat and mouse.

Most professional sports are at a point where you pretty much have to be a genetic freak to play at the highest level. If you aren't 6'2 and 250 pounds of speed, you'll never make it as an NFL linebacker. So the guys who are less gifted need the drugs to catch up. But then there's nothing stopping those gifted guys from using, too.

It sucks, but it's almost more trouble than it's worth at this point. Drugs are here to stay. The sport I follow is MMA. It's a given that the top guys are all using something. You can't train the way they do and not use. The human body can't recover that fast without assistance. And while sure, it would be great if no one used steroids, I'd rather see a great fight between two top guys than hear about a steroid bust and missing out on seeing it.

Sydlexia.com - Where miserable bastards meet to call each other retards.

pineapple
PostPosted: Jan 13 2010 03:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

How about harsher punishments if you get caught? More permanent bans/huge fines. If these guys want to cheat, then let them pay the price no matter how popular they are. If you get caught, you get the boot.
Ice2SeeYou
Title: Sexual Tyrannosaurus
PostPosted: Jan 13 2010 04:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

pineapple wrote:
How about harsher punishments if you get caught? More permanent bans/huge fines. If these guys want to cheat, then let them pay the price no matter how popular they are. If you get caught, you get the boot.

I'd be curious to see what kind of effect that might have.

On one hand, you might scare some guys enough that they won't want to risk using drugs.

On the other hand, you'd have some big-name players getting caught and kicked out of their leagues. Would that really be profitable for the league? Maybe, if it means a "cleaner" league in the long run. But the truth is, homerun hitters sell tickets. If these roided up monsters are putting asses in the seats, there's a lot of money to be lost by dimissing them.

Sydlexia.com - Where miserable bastards meet to call each other retards.

username
PostPosted: Jan 13 2010 04:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

pfft fernando valenzuela never used roids.

that is all

Klimbatize wrote:

pineapple
PostPosted: Jan 13 2010 09:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ice2SeeYou wrote:
pineapple wrote:

On the other hand, you'd have some big-name players getting caught and kicked out of their leagues. Would that really be profitable for the league? Maybe, if it means a "cleaner" league in the long run. But the truth is, homerun hitters sell tickets. If these roided up monsters are putting asses in the seats, there's a lot of money to be lost by dimissing them.

Then don't suspend them, just fine their asses millions. They get to play still and the league gets tons of green.
Reply to topic

Jump to: