[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Live TNA Impact tonight!

Reply to topic
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jan 04 2010 08:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Anyone else going to watch this? Less than an hour away! They're going up against Bret Hart, which is a tough sell.

I'll probably flip between the two. Anyone notice that WWE is using all early 90s footage of Hart? I don't know how Bret looks now, but there were some pictures about 5 years ago where he was um, kinda fat.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Ba'al
Title: Zerg Zergling
PostPosted: Jan 04 2010 08:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know how up-to-date that is, but I don't think he looks that bad.

I'll be watching TNA's first hour and then flip to Raw for the rest, unless there's a commercial.

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Jan 04 2010 08:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah I'm worried he's gonna come out and look like Judd Nelson. Not "Breakfast Club" Judd Nelson, "Suddenly Susan" fat Judd Nelson.

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Jan 04 2010 08:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

*Double Post but I had to because Ba'al posted at the same time I did before and holy fucking shit he really does look like fat Judd Nelson.

Optimist With Doubts
Title: Titlating
PostPosted: Jan 04 2010 08:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I am watching the first hour of impact and recording it then watching raw when it starts

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Jan 04 2010 08:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'd be interested to watch if I could find a live stream of it. No TV (or any other furniture) in my room so that's how I'll be watching Raw. My favorite streaming site doesn't seem to have a link for TNA yet, but mayhaps one will be up before it starts.

I am kinda glad they're going head to head with Raw. Shame they picked this night to do their big show though; I have a feeling anyone on the fence will be checking out Raw and Hart. I know I will be, if only to see just how much I still have to hate him.

If he can actually man up and bury the hatchet like Shawn's been trying to do for years (and I mean bury it for real, not in some scripted speech), I'd be so happy. Then I can go back to respecting the guy. And I do want to respect him.

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Douche McCallister
Title: DOO-SHAY
PostPosted: Jan 04 2010 09:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Considering Hogan Nash Bischoff and Hall are supposed to be on TNA tonight I imagine anyone who was a WCW fan is wetting there pants right now.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jan 04 2010 09:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'd love to see Hall, don't think it'll happen. Flair is heavily rumored though.

Great spots in the first match, but DQ finish? On the FIRST match of a new era? Questionable.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Optimist With Doubts
PostPosted: Jan 04 2010 09:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Followed by a nash promo...insane. Fans of WCW are having bitter flashbacks.

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Jan 04 2010 09:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Who do you use for live RAW streaming, Hawk?
Doddsino
PostPosted: Jan 05 2010 02:07 am Reply with quote Back to top

I have to say this, I've never been so interested in wrestling for a long time.

Impact won this night, and it wasn't even close. Just the nostalgic feel of flipping back and forth between the channels and seeing who was outdoing one another.

I haven't watched Raw for months and of course I was going to see what they did with Bret. Man, did I have goosebumps when Shawn was in the ring with him, and Shawn's promo was simply awesome. Unfortunately, they're going to waste this storyline on Vince vs. Bret, which will be a terrible way for Bret to have a last match to. The whole thing to me was this, Bret was always distraught that Shawn never returned the favor at WM, so why not do that? It would be a monumental moment to have these two square off again, with Shawn tapping out...the crowd would go NUTS. Remember...most of the crowd still villifies Shawn for Montreal, not usually Vince. And in the past, there seemed to be more animosity between Bret and Shawn, rather than Vince. Nonetheless, awesome moment. And I'm not trying to sound stupid or sarcastic when I say...I'm glad Bret can sell a nutshot, as I worried that 9 years out of the ring...you might not be able to bump as well as you used to...he made it look pretty devestating.

Outside of that, I can't really think of anything Raw did that held my attention. The tag title match was pretty solid, although it always ends with Triple H pinning Jericho. Now outside of their Raw match about a decade ago where Jericho "won the title" off Triple H, which was later reversed...I can't think of a single time in recent times where Jericho has just once beaten Triple H. I just don't get it, I mean one win would be nice once in a while. So Jericho's off Raw? Well that's another reason to not really tune in as he's one of the more interesting characters, and besides that...who really even monitors him from not coming back? It seems to be no problem to show up on any show nowadays.

Now onto Impact:

Now I'm not going to say that TNA is the greatest show ever, or was it the best show I've ever seen. What I will say, is that it definately showed that it actually tried tonight. And while I wasn't really excited to see Hogan or any of the other old guys, I'm definately intrigued to see what's going to happen with them. The only guy that made me think "what the fuck" was Orlando Jordan. Seriously...fuck him...no one gives a damn. And there's just something about Bischoff that intrigues me...I don't know...but as soon as he left Raw, Raw started the suck nosedive. And I gotta love Flair showing up...god...what a piece of crap he is. He trashed TNA and Hogan, yet he's willing to be their bitch when WWE parts ways...and don't get me wrong, Flair is in my top 10 favorites of all time...I just hate how hypocritical he is.

While I really enjoyed the first match, fucking DQs always suck and that's not the way they should've kicked off the show. Not to mention, is it even possible for someone to escape that little hole? I've never seen this cage match before, so it's hard to see how anyone could be strong enough after a long match and get out...maybe it needs some remodeling.

Very clever for them to have the Hogan promo while Raw kicked off. I waited till 8:01, then turned the channel. That's the way it was the rest of the night., mostly with me sticking to TNA. The only times I turned it was during the knockouts matches, but don't get me wrong...the knockouts are LEAGUES better than the roster of divas that WWE has.

The icing on the cake was the Angle/Styles match...holy fuck was that a great match. I have always enjoyed matches where hitting your finisher first doesn't equate to a win. We saw so many false finishes and big spots, it was probably one of the best free matches I've seen in the last 5 years. Kofi/Orton didn't even intrigue me to watch...so I don't even know the finish.

I know it's asking too much, but I really hope Impact does a decent rating. I know it gets ahead of itself saying it's going to be the #1 company, but I would be happy if they become neck and neck with WWE. Competition brings the best out in the business and I would be happy to see these two companies go out there and keep trying to top one another.
Optimist With Doubts
PostPosted: Jan 05 2010 10:12 am Reply with quote Back to top

What what what what! Are you fucking insane? Impact was horrible, it was a clusterfuck that ruined every big surprise guest. They all just casually walked into frame. Yes the Syles Angle match was legions better than the raw main event. Which doesn't matter when you realize they gave away the main event to a ppv for free. This is WCW booking at it's worst, I would gladly watch several more mediocre raws than impact at this point.

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Jan 05 2010 11:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

Impact was typical Russo/Bischoff fare: Let's give the fans as much as possible without even remotely trying to make anything coherent. Russo like to shock for the sake of shocking, while Bischoff just does things for the sake of quick ratings with no thought of the long term. Free PPV main event? Anyone remember Hogan vs Goldberg? Yeah, it won the ratings that night, but WCW lost hundreds of thousands in potential PPV revenue.

OMG, why is Wrestler X on the show!?!?

Because, they can. That's the only reason. It would be much better if they went: Hey, we can get Wrestler X on our show. Alright, let's plan out why he is here, and what he plans on doing in the long term.

The thing is, the whole point of scoring a known talent for your show is, because people already know who they are. You don't need to sell them, or spend time developing a character for them. You just have to find them a good story. Russo, doesn't get that. He just figures, hey if Ric Flair just randomly shows up, it will blow peoples minds! He doesn't ever plan out a viable angle for them.

Bischoff just did the same thing over and over with stolen talent: Stick them in the nWo. That's it. They all quickly got buried in the clusterfuck of a roster. I mean, look at what they did with Bret Hart, Curt Hennig, etc. Nothing. They paraded them around for a few weeks, like a shiny new toy, and just like the same toy, eventually threw it in the toybox with the others and forgot all about it. The only 3 people WCW introduced correctly were, big shock, Hogan, Hall, and Nash.

WWF/E used it stolen talent wisely. Greatest debut ever: Chris Jericho. Most people knew who Jericho was. WWE didn't build up Jericho with vignettes before his arrival. They knew they didn't need to. They knew people would know who he was, they just needed to know why he was there. What was the first thing Jericho did? Explained exactly why he was there and what he was planning to do!

Everytime I watch that, I get the same goosebumps I had when it first happened. I just wish I could find a clip that had his speech as well.

Impact had better matches, and more surpises, but it just didn't seem as rewarding to watch. I'm sorry but:

That moment made RAW last night, and made the entire evening.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jan 05 2010 12:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

IMPACT had some interesting stuff going on, if they can build off it, they might have a shot at gaining some momentum.

The promo that Hogan cut on Jarrett was harsh, and I don't think the fans bought it. Moments before Hogan tore into him, the fans were chanting "Thank you, Jeff!". The dirt sheets have been reporting that the plan is for Hogan and company to be the faces in a power struggle vs. Jarrett and Foley, but I don't know how well that will work. The fans do not like Dixie Carter. Her IMPACT debut was one of the lowest rated quarters ever for the show.

But maybe Hogan will be the heel. Sure, you have him coming out and cutting face promos, but then you have what actually happened. Hogan talked about pushing the younger talent, but who showed up that night? Hogan's old friends: Hall, Sixx, Bischoff, and the Nasty Boys. And the show ended with the nWo beating down Foley.

So you have Hogan making promises, then doing the exact the opposite. If this was done on purpose, I'm interested. If it was a complete accident, I'm disappointed.

Also, where was Steiner last night?
Doddsino
PostPosted: Jan 05 2010 07:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Also, where was Steiner last night?

Probably pissed that Flair was there. I wanted him to come out and call him a crooked toothed son of a bitch.

And Impact WAS more entertaining...if you don't agree...whatever. But it seemed to be the adult show last night...and like I said, it wasn't the best show ever...it just outdid what I expected and felt like a better show over Raw.
Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Jan 05 2010 08:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Last time I watched Wrestling with any regularity Yokozuna was Banzai dropping Hacksaw.

Sexton Hardcastle
Title: The Supreme Element
PostPosted: Jan 05 2010 09:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I heard that Val Venis as on Impact, and that makes me happy. I always felt he was incredible underrated.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jan 05 2010 09:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, Val Venis was there. No idea what his name is going to be though. Velvet Sky was about to call him Val Venis and he was like "Uh, let's not get hung up on names here."
Optimist With Doubts
PostPosted: Jan 05 2010 10:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Good call hiring Jeff Hardy TNA
http://www.wrestleview.com/news2009/1262724501.php?style=dark

And sorry you will never convince me that TNA had the better show, it had 3 hours to get everything together and it still was cluttered. Don't get me wrong I want Impact to succeed but if it continues the way it's going it just won't.

Yeah it had some good matches but if you wrap a diamond in shit who will care.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jan 05 2010 10:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

True, but RAW is always a clusterfuck, and this week was no exception. Everything that didn't involve Bret Hart was complete shit.
nihilisticglee
PostPosted: Jan 05 2010 10:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Haven't watched it yet, but here is Spoony's thoughts on the two companies head to head shows

http://spoonyexperiment.com/2010/01/05/vlog-1-5-10-monday-night-wars/

just thought it should be posted
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jan 05 2010 11:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Also, what's wrong with Scott Hall? He sounds like he had a stroke.
Doddsino
PostPosted: Jan 06 2010 02:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

He might have for all we know.

And it's really fucking sad in his case. I've always placed him at the top of the list of guys who should've been World Champion, but never were.
Optimist With Doubts
PostPosted: Jan 06 2010 03:31 am Reply with quote Back to top

Ok I'm willing to concede that I may have been a bit harsh towards TNA and I really may have only enjoyed RAW more because I'm more familiar with the people involved. Having said that with all the potential they could have done much better.

Doddsino
PostPosted: Jan 06 2010 05:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

Just got done watching Spoony, and I have to totally agree with him. I think at least at this point, TNA has hit it's peak and is going to decline. I'm not the kind of guy who thinks you need to top yourself every week, but at the same time, don't do what WWE has been doing since 2005 and just keep everything at this stalemate without any real build towards a long-termed future. And yes, outside of X-Pac (who can still wrestle, despite what Spoony thinks), most of these old guys are far too gone to even be in the ring. And I too, am sad about the quick demise of Desmond Wolfe...I never really cared for him to begin with, but it would've been nice to see someone "undiscovered" to get a major push.

And don't get me wrong Optimist, I marked out HARD for Bret coming out, and again I do have to sorta agree with Spoony that it could've been handled better with Shawn. Maybe have a resolution down the road, not on the first night. Hell, I might've actually prefered Vince coming out with Bret first, doing the nutshot, then end with Shawn and Bret doing a face off, I mean shit...that's how they would've booked it 10 years ago...what's going on? Outside of the DX match (which I basically only watched because of what Jericho said backstage), I didn't even watch anything else on Raw...since it was more of the same...again. But the thing that bothers me about the Jerishow/DX match...is that IT'S ALWAYS THE SAME FUCKING FINISH!

For as long as I can remember, Jericho has been Triple H's bitch. And that's really not a big deal, but since every time for as long as I can remember, when they face off in any way shape or form...Triple H fucking owns him. And while it's not going to damage Jericho or help Triple H, it's really not helping me gain interest. When I know the fucking outcome of the match, then it takes away from the feel of it. And don't get me wrong...it was a pretty damn good match. A lot of false finishes and good mixing. What bothers me is that I actually DID buy into the belief that Jericho was going to win for a moment, which is always crushing when it doesn't happen. Sure I don't want to see a squash, but maybe just one slip up would be nice. And yeah...how fucking ridiculous is that? Jericho off Raw? Who's going to institute that? And make sure you tune in tomorrow to ECW where Raw's Mark Henry faces SD's CM Punk to determine the number one contender for the ECW championship...HUH?
Reply to topic

Jump to: