"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Retarded Magic Combos.

Reply to topic
aeonic
Title: Sporadic Poster
PostPosted: Aug 11 2010 01:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

doesn't that just mean that Vintage and Legacy will become more popular?

Who likes role-playing games? Me. Way too goddamn much.

Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Aug 11 2010 02:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Vintage won't because it's too cost prohibitive. Legacy has steadily been increasing in popularity, but it's a very anti-combo format at the moment.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

aeonic
PostPosted: Aug 12 2010 12:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

see, I know this might chap the asses of some of you players who didn't repeatedly sell your cards, but i actually am kind of pleased they're doing this. most of my cards are zendikar/worldwake/rise of the eldrazi and 2010/2011 edition and so i'm going back and buying more of the alara block. it's nice that i can explore those cards and get used to the set without having other huge swaths of blocks to go through.

Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Aug 12 2010 12:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Most of my cards are the same sets you mention, as I sold most of my collection before M10, but I'm still displeased with this change.

UsaSatsui wrote:

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Aug 12 2010 02:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

So bascially, Maelstrom Pulse, which I want, isn't coming down in price anytime soon and will probably go up even higher.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Aug 12 2010 02:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
So bascially, Maelstrom Pulse, which I want, isn't coming down in price anytime soon and will probably go up even higher.

It's only a $10 card. Not, like it's Jace Mindsculpter or Vengevine... sheesh.
APLETHORAOFPINATAS
PostPosted: Aug 12 2010 02:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Dr. Jeebus wrote:
Plethora is correct. Going to an extended tournament had become a matter of "Which combo deck do I want to play?". You had Elfball, Thopter Foundry, Dark Depths, Thopter Depths, Scapeshift, Hive Mind, and more that I can't think of at the moment. The format was about 90% combo decks, with the occasional Affinity, Zoo, or Faerie deck. Now extended is just going to be "last year's standard", with Faeries being the dominant deck.

#edit: Oh yeah, Dredge. I know there's at least one other combo deck I'm forgetting as well.

Well admittadly thatse a danger of having huge card pools, I can see their reasoning. My general rule of thumb is that if a mid ranged utility based deck can't survive inthe format its not very balanced! specially a black and green utility based deck... cuz they are awesome... yea...

In a way, each of us has an El Guapo to face. For some, shyness might be their El Guapo. For others, a lack of education might be their El Guapo. For us, El Guapo is a big, dangerous man who wants to kill us. But as sure as my name is Lucky Day, the people of Santa Poco can conquer their own personal El Guapo, who also happens to be *the actual* El Guapo!

Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Aug 12 2010 03:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

APLETHORAOFPINATAS wrote:
Dr. Jeebus wrote:
Plethora is correct. Going to an extended tournament had become a matter of "Which combo deck do I want to play?". You had Elfball, Thopter Foundry, Dark Depths, Thopter Depths, Scapeshift, Hive Mind, and more that I can't think of at the moment. The format was about 90% combo decks, with the occasional Affinity, Zoo, or Faerie deck. Now extended is just going to be "last year's standard", with Faeries being the dominant deck.

#edit: Oh yeah, Dredge. I know there's at least one other combo deck I'm forgetting as well.

Well admittadly thatse a danger of having huge card pools, I can see their reasoning. My general rule of thumb is that if a mid ranged utility based deck can't survive inthe format its not very balanced! specially a black and green utility based deck... cuz they are awesome... yea...

So you're taking the Don approach of: "If I can't play the same deck in every format ever, that format's not worth playing"?

UsaSatsui wrote:

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Aug 12 2010 03:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Last time I saw Pulses, they were $20.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Spanish Meatloaf
Title: Denim Clad Road Warrior
PostPosted: Aug 12 2010 03:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Never got into magic, or any cards for that matter.
But there's a gang of about 50 mormons that play every thursday in the library basement.

aeonic
PostPosted: Aug 12 2010 03:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

really? my wife grew up in a big (97%) Mormon town up north and she said they were really against things like that and D&D and the like up there. go figure.

Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Aug 13 2010 12:26 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Last time I saw Pulses, they were $20.

They're $8 now. (but yes, last time the store had any they were indeed $18 or 20.)

UsaSatsui wrote:

JonSnow
PostPosted: Aug 13 2010 12:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
But there's a gang of about 50 mormons that play every thursday in the library basement.

I might pick up DND.. I got a level 3 Barbarian that's a bit of a beast in the making. I love my choice of combat swiftness or something... Move an additional 4 sqaures this turn, increase all defesne by like 4 when i use it. I got those 4 sqaures, + 6 squares for normal movement, + 6 sqaure on charge.. nuke any guy on the map. I have my attack that let's me slide 2 squares (not take Aof O's).

50 people is a ton though.. they must have like 8 or 9 different campaigns going on at once.

The One Truth Will Prevail
Brawl Code: 1805-1876-7506

aeonic
PostPosted: Aug 13 2010 12:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

JonSnow wrote:
Quote:

I might pick up DND.. I got a level 3 Barbarian that's a bit of a beast in the making. I love my choice of combat swiftness or something... Move an additional 4 sqaures this turn, increase all defesne by like 4 when i use it. I got those 4 sqaures, + 6 squares for normal movement, + 6 sqaure on charge.. nuke any guy on the map. I have my attack that let's me slide 2 squares (not take Aof O's).

50 people is a ton though.. they must have like 8 or 9 different campaigns going on at once.

didn't he say that the mormons play magic, not D&D? also, you sound like a min/maxer. Looking at your efed character, it definitely seems like you give a shit about numbers and nothing about actually having a character that's anywhere close to realistic.

JonSnow
PostPosted: Aug 13 2010 02:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

I don't look up stuff online, I make my own characters. But ya I try to optimize as best i can. I don't do much for RP stats ( I LOVE bumping chance to hit, I love bumping str). But I also like to RP, and will definitely do that in game, and inbetween missions. I'll even in do it in the battle if it's a clear win. If it's not, then i'm more or less nudging my allies to do certain thigns if the fight is close, and the RP gets down played. My GM was loose about shouting, so my character even though not being a officially a leader class, was like go do this... tank i highly suggest marking such and such. We should focus fire our damage on "this guy" etc... I'll estimate hp based on me knowing roughly the damage we all did and when the target got bloodied.

Edit: Ya i read the D&D thing off your post, i guess... but i guess he was talking about mtg you're right

The One Truth Will Prevail
Brawl Code: 1805-1876-7506

APLETHORAOFPINATAS
PostPosted: Aug 13 2010 08:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

LOL, not quite but similar. My theory only pertains to extended. If a rock deck cannot be played in extended the format is unbalanced.

Dr. Jeebus wrote:
Dr. Jeebus wrote:

So you're taking the Don approach of: "If I can't play the same deck in every format ever, that format's not worth playing"?

In a way, each of us has an El Guapo to face. For some, shyness might be their El Guapo. For others, a lack of education might be their El Guapo. For us, El Guapo is a big, dangerous man who wants to kill us. But as sure as my name is Lucky Day, the people of Santa Poco can conquer their own personal El Guapo, who also happens to be *the actual* El Guapo!

Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Aug 13 2010 01:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

LOL, not quite but similar. My theory only pertains to extended. If a rock deck cannot be played in extended the format is unbalanced.

Dr. Jeebus wrote:
Dr. Jeebus wrote:

A rock deck was playable, it just wasn't one of the netdecks. Don actually won his first ever PTQ with his extended Tarmorack deck. (He then went 4-4 on the PT, failing to make day 2)

UsaSatsui wrote:

Mr. Magog
Title: Swell Individual
PostPosted: Aug 25 2010 09:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Ad Nauseum + Angel's Grace. Draw your entire deck and then set off whatever dumb combo you want.

I like Ad Nauseam + Tainted Sigil better.

"Airports, hospitals, McDonald's Playland, I don't care where it's taking place. If I'm having a good time, they will die."--sidewaydriver

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Aug 25 2010 09:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Mr. Magog wrote:
Syd Lexia wrote:
Ad Nauseum + Angel's Grace. Draw your entire deck and then set off whatever dumb combo you want.

I like Ad Nauseam + Tainted Sigil better.

That's too bad, because it doesn't work.
Oracle wrote:
If you lose enough life to lower your life total to 0 or less, you'll lose the game as a state-based actions before you activate Tainted Sigil's ability.

When Ad Nauseum resolves, you're instantly dead. Before it has resolved, you haven't lost any life and activating it is pointless.
Mr. Magog
PostPosted: Aug 25 2010 10:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

What if you played Ad Nauseam + Angel's Grace and then sacrificed Tainted Sigil?

"Airports, hospitals, McDonald's Playland, I don't care where it's taking place. If I'm having a good time, they will die."--sidewaydriver

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Aug 25 2010 10:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, that would work. Your life would go back up to whatever it was before Ad Nauseum. Since Ad Nauseum is loss of life and not damage, it can still bring your life total below 1.

The better combo is Ad Nauseum, Angel's Grace, and Repay In Kind. Draw your entire library, bring your life total well into negative range, then play Repay In Kind and kill your opponents.
Mr. Magog
PostPosted: Aug 25 2010 11:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
The better combo is Ad Nauseum, Angel's Grace, and Repay In Kind. Draw your entire library, bring your life total well into negative range, then play Repay In Kind and kill your opponents.

So, basically, the order you'd have to play it to make it work would be Ad Nauseam-Repay In Kind-Then Angel's Grace?

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Aug 25 2010 11:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Angel's Grace needs to resolve before Ad Nauseum.
Mr. Magog
PostPosted: Aug 25 2010 11:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That's what was giving me the trouble. That is beautiful, good sir.

Mr. Magog
PostPosted: Sep 02 2010 03:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

Has anyone else said Megrim + Jace?

Reply to topic

Jump to: