SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Retarded Magic Combos.

Reply to topic
JonSnow
PostPosted: Aug 06 2010 03:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm laughing uncontrollably.. all that work for a 5/4 flyer... lol. I totally got that wrong.

Quote:
until end of turn each turn.

EACH TURN!

I don't think i actually used the word good though Razz. but i did have it wrong.

The One Truth Will Prevail
Brawl Code: 1805-1876-7506

UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Aug 06 2010 05:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

If you really want to send a Fallen Angel to the all-you-can-eat buffet, use Enduring Renewal + Ornithopter.
SteelBallRun
Title: Kenka Bancho
PostPosted: Aug 06 2010 07:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thopter Squadron + Sword of the Meek is stupid good.
JonSnow
PostPosted: Aug 06 2010 08:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You're very close to a real combo, in one of thee best extended decks. Thopter Foundry + Sword of the meek. You sac Sword of the meek to initiate the combo. Get a +1/+1 per mana you can/want to use.

Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Aug 07 2010 01:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

How is he very close to a real combo? He gave the combo, then you just repeated it like you're adding something.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

aeonic
Title: Sporadic Poster
PostPosted: Aug 07 2010 02:09 am Reply with quote Back to top

actually, for once snow has a little something, despite being a total jackhole in just about every respect. thopter squadron and thopter foundry are a little different in the execution. the combo would really be something else with tezzeret or a master of etherium or two.

Who likes role-playing games? Me. Way too goddamn much.

Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Aug 07 2010 03:26 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm guessing it's a typo since Thopter Squadron and Sword of the meet does not combo in any way. I didn't even notice he listed the wrong card since it's a really popular combo.

UsaSatsui wrote:

FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Aug 07 2010 07:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

Mountain/raging goblin is pretty retarded. You can tap the mountain to bring the creature out, and because it has has haste, you can attack and do damage immediately.

Doing combat damage on the first turn of the game. Seriously.

aeonic
PostPosted: Aug 07 2010 09:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

yeah, Jeebus, you're right. edit: never mind my last comment about thopter squadron/sludge strider. thought thopter squadron had a 0 colorless cost to make/reabsorb thopters. not as good as I thought. that's what I get for reading magic cards early early in the morning

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Aug 07 2010 07:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

FNJ wrote:
Mountain/raging goblin is pretty retarded. You can tap the mountain to bring the creature out, and because it has has haste, you can attack and do damage immediately.

Doing combat damage on the first turn of the game. Seriously.

Not as bad during the original era of Magic. Play a multiplayer game. The first person who goes plays a land and drops a Black Vise. Instant 3 damage at the start of everyone else's 1st turn. That was always fun and brutal.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Aug 07 2010 08:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

As Jeebus proved in the Let's Play Jon Snow thread, you can win the game without ever taking a turn with the Protean Hulk/Flash combo.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
JonSnow
PostPosted: Aug 07 2010 11:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
[he very close to a real combo? He gave the combo, then you just repeated it like you're adding something.

He said Squadron, which just gives a +1/+1 So he can put a sword of the meek on it from the gy if he wants. Which that idea is much better executed with Thopter Foundry, since it uses the sword to spam tokens, and not just have a +1/+2 on some random token.

Quote:
As Jeebus proved in the Let's Play Jon Snow thread, you can win the game without ever taking a turn with the Protean Hulk/Flash combo.

To me you're not even playing magic if you're playing with cards that allow for that possibility. Standard/Extended is where it's at.

Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Aug 08 2010 02:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

JonSnow wrote:
Quote:
[he very close to a real combo? He gave the combo, then you just repeated it like you're adding something.

He said Squadron, which just gives a +1/+1 So he can put a sword of the meek on it from the gy if he wants. Which that idea is much better executed with Thopter Foundry, since it uses the sword to spam tokens, and not just have a +1/+2 on some random token.

Quote:

To me you're not even playing magic if you're playing with cards that allow for that possibility. Standard/Extended is where it's at.

Yes, but that's not a combo. That's just what Sword of the Meek does. We all knew what he was talking about.

UsaSatsui wrote:

SteelBallRun
Title: Kenka Bancho
PostPosted: Aug 08 2010 03:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I meant Foundry since you can squirt out a bunch of tokens off of the Sword. Squadron was a redo of Tetravus. Sometimes I hate that phrases/names/naming conventions and such get reused so often in Magic. I mix up so many names because of it.
Black Zarak
Title: Big Coffin Hunter
PostPosted: Aug 08 2010 03:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
And that's why Jeebus is a dick to play Magic with...

REVIEWS, LEGOS, NONSENSE Check out Zarak's Barracks!

"Let that be a lesson to you, your family and everyone you've ever known..."

"Thanks to denial, I'm immortal!"

JonSnow
PostPosted: Aug 09 2010 06:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

That's called stacking the deck, it's not even real mtg. Honestly, I understand people only have so much money so can't keep current with Standard and extended, but vintage format is laughable for anyone with a large card pool. Luckily most people don't have that large of card pool so it's fun because you guys are playing in a ridiculous format but with only very few of of the OP'd cards, or at least not (4 copies of them). So it makes for a balanced deck verse each other, and in general. Granted if you guys had unlimited cards to choose from, then vintage would just be a "for fun" format. As the range and power of decks is ridiculous.

aeonic
PostPosted: Aug 09 2010 08:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

JonSnow wrote:
Quote:

That's called stacking the deck, it's not even real mtg. Honestly, I understand people only have so much money so can't keep current with Standard and extended, but vintage format is laughable for anyone with a large card pool. Luckily most people don't have that large of card pool so it's fun because you guys are playing in a ridiculous format but with only very few of of the OP'd cards, or at least not (4 copies of them). So it makes for a balanced deck verse each other, and in general. Granted if you guys had unlimited cards to choose from, then vintage would just be a "for fun" format. As the range and power of decks is ridiculous.

stacking the deck is where you set up cards to fall in a certain order. having a killer combo with cards that are hard to get isn't. it might seem unfair to you, but why should someone who's been playing for ten or twelve or seventeen years have to limit themselves if they have the cards? granted, I dont have most of the cards that I used to because I sold them for really good fucking money (i got rid of a power nine in the mid 2000s and took a trip around the world; paid for my way out here to AZ from FL with a couple other alpha and beta cards). i only play standard now, but that's because I'm rebuilding my collection for the third time.

JonSnow
PostPosted: Aug 09 2010 09:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ya, I was mostly refering to the thread... even with the proper deck that has the option of winning on turn zero, it's probably unlikely. In the thread he posted in, he just pretended he had hte ideal hand.. and was like bam win on turn 0. So he was more less stacking his imaginary deck.

I do understand the difference between a solid deck with powerful combos and deck stacking. I don't care if htey have those cards from 17 years, i'm just saying that format isn't competitive, so isn't really a format I care for. I prefer a format like standard, a common tournament format.

aeonic
PostPosted: Aug 10 2010 04:35 am Reply with quote Back to top

[ignore]jonsnow[/ignore]

darksteel pendant + phylactery lich + diplomatic immunity

UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Aug 10 2010 10:03 am Reply with quote Back to top

aeonic wrote:
[ignore]jonsnow[/ignore]

Not really a combo, I think, just some cards that work well together.

Also, one card less, a bit more effective: Phylactery Lich + Mycosynth Lattice. Safest place for that phylactery is on himself.
aeonic
PostPosted: Aug 11 2010 11:56 am Reply with quote Back to top

UsaSatsui wrote:
aeonic wrote:
[ignore]jonsnow[/ignore]

Not really a combo, I think, just some cards that work well together.

Also, one card less, a bit more effective: Phylactery Lich + Mycosynth Lattice. Safest place for that phylactery is on himself.

depends on your definition of effective. unless you're playing a deck that generates mana really quick, the earliest you can get the lich out is what, round 7 using that combo? a 5/5 indestructable on turn 3 is a lot scarier than 7, especially if your opponent isn't running blue bounce or white exile cards. since artifact removal isn't huge in most decks and likely won't be until scars of mirrodin comes out, i'd be more tempted for the quick lich kill, but then, i'm working on a deck that runs four. what can i say, i really love that card

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Aug 11 2010 12:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

So, Jeebus, maybe you can answer this:

Quote:
Announcement Date: June 18, 2010
Effective Date: July 1, 2010
Magic Online Effective Date: July 14, 2010 (after the scheduled downtime)
Magic: The Gathering Tournament Rules Change: Extended
On July 1, 2010, the following sets will leave the Extended format: Ninth Edition, Mirrodin, Darksteel, Fifth Dawn, Champions of Kamigawa, Betrayers of Kamigawa, Saviors of Kamigawa, Ravnica: City of Guilds, Guildpact, Dissension, and Coldsnap. From that point forward, the Extended format will include approximately four years of Magic sets instead of seven.
At that time, the following sets will be legal in the Extended format: Time Spiral, Planar Chaos, Future Sight, Tenth Edition, Lorwyn, Morningtide, Shadowmoor, Eventide, Shards of Alara, Conflux, Alara Reborn, Magic 2010, Zendikar, Worldwake, and Rise of the Eldrazi.
With the upcoming release of Scars of Mirrodin, the following sets will leave the Extended format: Time Spiral, Planar Chaos, Future Sight, and Tenth Edition. One year's worth of releases will leave Extended with every subsequent fall Magic set.

Why is WOTC completely gimping Extended?
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Aug 11 2010 12:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ad Nauseum + Angel's Grace. Draw your entire deck and then set off whatever dumb combo you want.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
APLETHORAOFPINATAS
PostPosted: Aug 11 2010 01:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I agree that sucks, extended was my favorite format when I was playing, mostly because you still had access to cards from a while ago, I'm assuming this is a further attempt to limit the viability of combo somehow?

Knyte wrote:
So, Jeebus, maybe you can answer this:

Quote:
Announcement Date: June 18, 2010
Effective Date: July 1, 2010
Magic Online Effective Date: July 14, 2010 (after the scheduled downtime)
Magic: The Gathering Tournament Rules Change: Extended
On July 1, 2010, the following sets will leave the Extended format: Ninth Edition, Mirrodin, Darksteel, Fifth Dawn, Champions of Kamigawa, Betrayers of Kamigawa, Saviors of Kamigawa, Ravnica: City of Guilds, Guildpact, Dissension, and Coldsnap. From that point forward, the Extended format will include approximately four years of Magic sets instead of seven.
At that time, the following sets will be legal in the Extended format: Time Spiral, Planar Chaos, Future Sight, Tenth Edition, Lorwyn, Morningtide, Shadowmoor, Eventide, Shards of Alara, Conflux, Alara Reborn, Magic 2010, Zendikar, Worldwake, and Rise of the Eldrazi.
With the upcoming release of Scars of Mirrodin, the following sets will leave the Extended format: Time Spiral, Planar Chaos, Future Sight, and Tenth Edition. One year's worth of releases will leave Extended with every subsequent fall Magic set.

Why is WOTC completely gimping Extended?

In a way, each of us has an El Guapo to face. For some, shyness might be their El Guapo. For others, a lack of education might be their El Guapo. For us, El Guapo is a big, dangerous man who wants to kill us. But as sure as my name is Lucky Day, the people of Santa Poco can conquer their own personal El Guapo, who also happens to be *the actual* El Guapo!

Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Aug 11 2010 01:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Plethora is correct. Going to an extended tournament had become a matter of "Which combo deck do I want to play?". You had Elfball, Thopter Foundry, Dark Depths, Thopter Depths, Scapeshift, Hive Mind, and more that I can't think of at the moment. The format was about 90% combo decks, with the occasional Affinity, Zoo, or Faerie deck. Now extended is just going to be "last year's standard", with Faeries being the dominant deck.

#edit: Oh yeah, Dredge. I know there's at least one other combo deck I'm forgetting as well.

UsaSatsui wrote:

Reply to topic

Jump to: