SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Rumpelstiltskin

Reply to topic
Doddsino
PostPosted: Nov 09 2009 06:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

I was sitting by my TV earlier this morning, trying not to hack up a lung from this wretched sickness that's plagued me for over a week, and there was a cheap kids show on that was showing the common story of Rumpelstiltskin. Now I didn't watch it or anything, but it got me thinking back to the story itself. It used to be one of my favorite stories when I was a young child, but now I just think about how poor Rumpelstiltskin got fucked over.

Now for those of you who've never heard the story, it basically goes like this; The Miller decided to fabricate a lie that his daughter could spin gold out of straw, so the King abducted her and gave her 1 night to spin all the straw in one room otherwise she'll be beheaded. Anyways, Rumpelstiltskin comes around and decides to help her out for a petty prize. In the morning, the king is so overjoyed, that he moves his slave worker into a room that's twice as big, with the same consequences as before. Once again, Rumpy shows up for a meager prize and work done. Third day, the Miller's daughter is in an even bigger room, this time Rumpy wants her first born child, which she agrees to, and soon the work is done. Afterward, the Miller's daughter decides to marry the king and they soon have a child. Rumpy shows up for the kid, since a deal is a deal. The new Queen says no and Rumpy decides to be fair and gives her 3 days/chances to guess his name right, if she can, she can keep the kid. After the first 2 days of not getting anything, a servant overhears Rumpy singing his own name, the servant tells the Queen, the Queen tells Rumpy. Then Rumpy gets mad and storms off..The End.

Now, this has to be one of the biggest bullshit stories ever. The only decent character is Rumpelstiltskin! He not only saves the girl's life on three seperate occasions, but after making a deal that SHE AGREED TO, he's kind enough to present a fair challenge in order to keep the kid. Of course she cheats in order to win and she keeps the brat. And why the fuck would she marry the King to begin with? She was originally some poor pawn in the crosshairs of her father's drunken schemes. And besides, this is the King that threatened to KILL her if she didn't do what he said, only furthering the stereotype that women like abusive husbands. And sure, Rumpy did pull one on the girl with the whole "I'll help you for your first born, but she could've said no". And at the same time, who knows if Rumpy had ill intentions towards the child, maybe he was just infertile? The Queen instead took credit for his work and cast him aside once she had the fame...much like Thomas Edison!!!

So what's the moral of the story? Cheat your way to success? It's ok to lie to small people?

I wonder what became of Rumpelstiltskin?

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Nov 09 2009 04:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

No, the moral of the story is, "don't be a dumbshit and sing out the answer to your impossible riddle at the top of your lungs where people can hear you if they walk by, and then be surprised when you get fucked over later."

The princess was a bitch, no doubt. But she was also just trying to protect her baby. Rump brought the backstabbing on himself by making it so easy for her to cheat her way to the answer.

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Pandajuice
Title: The Power of Grayskull
PostPosted: Nov 12 2009 07:48 am Reply with quote Back to top

My whole thing was, why the hell does Rumplestiltskin want a baby anyway? He's a swinging, gold making bachelor. If you're going to get stuck with a baby, at least have the fun of sex to get there. His third payment should have just been a night with the princess, then not only would he have gotten laid by a princess, but then the baby would have been his anyway.
Doddsino
PostPosted: Nov 12 2009 10:11 am Reply with quote Back to top

For all we know about Rumpy, he could be infertile. Maybe that's why his wife sent him out every night forging straw to gold, maybe in the dire hope that they could one day have a child. Rumpy wasn't a sleaze, he was an honest worker who got cut off at the knees after trying to collect on the deal.
Reply to topic

Jump to: