"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Anime and Comics for n00bs

Reply to topic
SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Dec 03 2009 01:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

So a friend of mine gave me his (very high quality) bootlegged versions of the entire Fullmetal Alchemist run with the movie, and holy shit does it rock. I'm up to episode I think 14 now (they just saved a coal-mining town from nasty owners)...and WOW. I identify so much with Edward Elrich its amazing--right down to being pissed off about short jokes and always being mistaken for the younger sibling when I'm not. There's the whole military angle too which is quite cool. Plus the way alchemy is done, and the idea of automail...so. Freaking. Awesome. What a great universe, and what amazing characters.

The theme song is damn catchy too. Must seek out translation. Oh, and I'm watching the dubbed version, and the acting is WONDERFUL, especially for the two Elrich brothers. I haven't heard much of Col. Mustang yet, but what I have heard, I've liked. Great series.

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Dec 03 2009 02:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I couldn't stand the dubbed version. You should pretty much always watch subbed anime, because American voice actors don't seem to emote nearly as well for some reason. It's really a great show though, and in case the credits don't mention it or you didn't see, the theme is "Ready, Steady, Go" by L'arc~en~ciel. They're really good and I believe they were used for other anime themes as well, but I like all their stuff. Also, they have a brief cameo in "Lost in Translation" (No lines, they're just in the background).

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Dec 03 2009 02:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I guess we know what side of the sub v. dub debate you come off on, no? Laughing

I wouldn't mind watching it in Japanese (that's how I wached Princess Mononoke), but like I said, these are bootlegs and there's no option. And, like I said, I really do like the main voice actors, especially the guy who does Alphonse. He hits that required note of innocence perfectly, and his voice is a great contrast to that suit of armor.

militarysignatures.com

Black Zarak
Title: Big Coffin Hunter
PostPosted: Dec 03 2009 04:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Full Metal is weird because it will do crazy horrific thing and then in the next scene, someone does the "giant sweatdrop on forehead the character is exasperated" kind of stupid anime gags. Which I hate. The story is wicked cool though and things get fucking crazy towards the end.

REVIEWS, LEGOS, NONSENSE Check out Zarak's Barracks!

"Let that be a lesson to you, your family and everyone you've ever known..."

"Thanks to denial, I'm immortal!"

Mr. Bomberman
2009 Forum Champion
Title: (still) token black.
PostPosted: Dec 04 2009 02:10 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I don't know what Jeebus is talking about.. I understand the mentality but the English dub IS actually pretty good.

Xbox Live: HazNobody, pronounced "HAz". | Haven't went to IRC yet? Go! #sydlexia @ DALnet. | Y'all should play some Super Robot Wars J (hey that rhymes!) | yeah I'm back who gives a shit

FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Dec 04 2009 02:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

Dr. Jeebus wrote:
You should pretty much always watch subbed anime, because American voice actors don't seem to emote nearly as well for some reason.

there are exceptions to this though!

Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Dec 04 2009 03:45 am Reply with quote Back to top

Mr. Bomberman wrote:
Yeah, I don't know what Jeebus is talking about.. I understand the mentality but the English dub IS actually pretty good.

I only saw one or two episodes with the English dub, but I wasn't thrilled. Maybe cause I was so used to the other voices, I dunno. And I hope you udnerstand the mentality because the vast majority of English dubs are very poorly done.

And I'm with BZ, FMA gets crazy near the end....crazy awesome!

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Dec 04 2009 01:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Dr. Jeebus wrote:
Mr. Bomberman wrote:

I only saw one or two episodes with the English dub, but I wasn't thrilled. Maybe cause I was so used to the other voices, I dunno. And I hope you udnerstand the mentality because the vast majority of English dubs are very poorly done.

And I'm with BZ, FMA gets crazy near the end....crazy awesome!

I can't wait!!!

I can totally understand where you're coming from, Jeebus, I'm just on the opposite end of the spectrum. I've completely settled in and really grown to like the English voices, and to me they're very, very heavily identified with the characters at this point. If I heard the Japanese version, it just wouldn't sound like Ed and Al to me. I'm sure its the same way for you, in reverse.

militarysignatures.com

Nekkoru
Title: Polish Pickle Wench
PostPosted: Dec 05 2009 04:52 am Reply with quote Back to top

I think you should read the FMA manga. They butchered it for the anime version, unfortunately. The whole thingie is on onemanga.com.

Also, two anime series that I don't think were mentioned already. Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo. They are both works of Shinchiro Watanabe and they both kick total ass.

Cowboy Bebop is a space western combined with the american beat / jazz movements of the forties and fifties. It be awesome. Can't tell you too much since I haven't finished watching the series, but I am like ten episodes in and it blew me away. Yoko Kanno did the soundtrack, this means you're in for aural sex with angels.

Samurai Champloo, however, is three hundred times more epic. It crosses feudal Japan with hip-hop. Yup. Beatboxing bandits, graffiti on castles, samurai duels driven by a great beat and the best opening sequence evar:

You should totally check out the IRC channel.
While you're at it, go check out my band, Her Majesty's Heroines.
Cameron wrote:
I now bestow upon you the title of Most Awesome Person. Very Happy

nihilisticglee
PostPosted: Dec 05 2009 07:13 am Reply with quote Back to top

Nekkoru wrote:
Also, two anime series that I don't think were mentioned already. Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo. They are both works of Shinchiro Watanabe and they both kick total ass.

Yes, I know I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but didn't go nearly as in depth as Nekkoru did here. Seriously, even someone with a passing interest in anime needs to watch these, they are that good.

Also, Battlecry is indeed one of the most awesome opening ever, up there with the Cowboy Bebop theme

and the Hellsing theme

Also, although I still hate it, you should probably check out the Hellsing anime. I just dislike since it isn't the manga, and honestly the first eight episodes are fairly faithful to the manga, with only one being filler. However, everything after that just makes me nerd rage, though it is still well done, just not the stories I loved and expected.

Of course, if you somehow can pick up the OVAs for cheap, that would be even better.
username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Dec 05 2009 11:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

did anyone mention the planet hulk series? i think thats a good series, but you might have to be a fan of the hulk to truly appreciate it

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Dec 20 2009 06:31 am Reply with quote Back to top

RE: FMA. The anime diverges (with consent from the author) from the manga about halfway through. The method by which homunculi are created as well as some of the homunculi themselves are different from the anime. That being said, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is sort of a retake, drawing much more heavily from the manga (FMA was produced alongside the manga and when the author realized she couldn't write and draw it as quick as Studio BONES, she told them to go ahead.). Since Brotherhood is being done with the source books already finished, you get a much more accurate story. And Hawk, in case you're curious, they had to get someone else to voice Alphonse in the English dub (but Aaron Dismuke still does a voice for someone down the road).

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Dec 20 2009 05:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

FMA the manga is written by a woman? Shocked I had no idea.

I was planning to seek it out anyway, but I didn't know the anime diverged from the manga so much. I wonder if there's anywhere I can get a good box set of the manga without costing an arm and a leg. (Horrifying pun extremely intended Razz ).

militarysignatures.com

Kojjiro!
PostPosted: Dec 20 2009 06:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm all for Dubbed anime, Usually I prefer the dubbed to subbed. This is probably because I don't like japanese acting but whatevs.
I should probably clarify, I don't hate japanese actors or anything, and there are some amazing actors but I usually dislike the acting itself sometimes!

FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Dec 21 2009 01:03 am Reply with quote Back to top

SoldierHawk wrote:

I didn't know the anime diverged from the manga so much.

hellsing is like this too.

Kojjiro!
PostPosted: Feb 23 2010 04:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have to bump this topic, because oh my god guys. Red Robin and Batgirl are getting absolutely fantastic lately, with a big crossover event with the whole bat, certain characters dying
Finding out where Batman REALLY is and whos' body is in the Batcave.

If you aren't reading these already, you should be.

FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Feb 24 2010 01:07 am Reply with quote Back to top

I've been watching an anime called "ghost hunt" lately. the dubs aren't that bad. the show's kinda interesting too.

funimation's been licensing some nifty stuff lately, believe it or not.

SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Feb 24 2010 01:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

Kojjiro! wrote:
I have to bump this topic, because oh my god guys. Red Robin and Batgirl are getting absolutely fantastic lately, with a big crossover event with the whole bat, certain characters dying
Finding out where Batman REALLY is and whos' body is in the Batcave.

If you aren't reading these already, you should be.

And lets not leave out Batwoman. Although with only one issue out since the creative team changed, I have yet to see just how it wll be affected.

militarysignatures.com

ODS
Title: Pretty Sweet Guy
PostPosted: Feb 24 2010 04:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Oh hey Soldier, if you want some suggests for anime I'll give you some. Last Exile is neat, with Steampunk background, sci-fi elements, fighter planes and races. I guess it can also be a strategy anime as well, seeing how all the episodes are named after chess moves. Its a good watch, if you like that sort of thing. Another, and a personal favorite, is .Hack//SIGN. While it is noted for lack of action, it is a good character driven story. Set in a MMO, it touches on alot of subjects relevant even today.
SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Feb 25 2010 01:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the suggestions ODS! I'll check them out for sure.

Current question is re: comics though. I've gotten ahold of a lot of the classic X-men runs and storylines, but I can't seem to find just one X-book to read monthly as part of my pull. There are just so damn MANY I don't know where to start.

Then I go in today and get this free "Second Coming" issue/extended ad. It seems interesting. Would anyone advise this event as a place to jump on the bandwaggon, buying the event book and Uncanny X-men (along with some possible tie-ins, but the general idea here is to jump into a major x-men book in a place where I won't be totally lost.) Is this a go? Or should I run screaming from the current run of Uncanny X-men?

militarysignatures.com

FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Feb 25 2010 02:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

Fuck the X-Men.

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Feb 25 2010 11:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

FNJ wrote:
Fuck the X-Men.

F the X in the A?

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Feb 25 2010 12:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

haha. precisely.

SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Feb 25 2010 12:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well that was a constructive answer. Thanks, guys. Rolling Eyes

militarysignatures.com

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Feb 25 2010 02:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Come on, if you want honest answers than PM Jeebus, this is a forum full of fun loving 20 somethings, you aren't always gonna get the direct response you were looking for immediately.

Reply to topic

Jump to: