[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
How not to write Sci-Fi

Reply to topic
Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Oct 17 2009 07:48 am Reply with quote Back to top

http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2009/10/why_i_hate_star_trek.html

Synopsis: Don't fill in the blanks with technobabble to fill out your story. He cites that the actual scripts for TNG read like:

La Forge: "Captain, the tech is overteching."
Picard: "Well, route the auxiliary tech to the tech, Mr. La Forge."
La Forge: "No, Captain. Captain, I've tried to tech the tech, and it won't work."
Picard: "Well, then we're doomed."

"And then Data pops up and says, 'Captain, there is a theory that if you tech the other tech ... '" Moore said. "It's a rhythm and it's a structure, and the words are meaningless. It's not about anything except just sort of going through this dance of how they tech their way out of it."

Charlie wrote:
The biggest weakness of the entire genre is this: the protagonists don't tell us anything interesting about the human condition under science fictional circumstances. The scriptwriters and producers have thrown away the key tool that makes SF interesting and useful in the first place, by relegating "tech" to a token afterthought rather than an integral part of plot and characterization. What they end up with is SF written for the Pointy-Haired [studio] Boss, who has an instinctive aversion to ever having to learn anything that might modify their world-view. The characters are divorced from their social and cultural context; yes, there are some gestures in that direction, but if you scratch the protagonists of Star Trek you don't find anything truly different or alien under the latex face-sculptures: just the usual familiar — and, to me, boring — interpersonal neuroses of twenty-first century Americans, jumping through the hoops of standardized plot tropes and situations that were clichés in the 1950s.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Oct 17 2009 02:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I completely disagree with that assessment. The protagonists may not TELL us anything interesting about the human condition, but no good piece of fiction (with a few very rare exceptions) should ever, ever have your characters TELL their condition. That's a recipe for boring. The characters SHOW the condition they're trying to convey, and they can do that quite effectively while spouting all kinds of absurd techno or fantasy babble.

Now part of the failing of this is that, in the case of TV or movies, you're completely dependent on the skill of your actors to get you passed this, because if they fail at their job then yes, all you're left with is technobabble that no one will understand. Part of the weakness of TNG I think is that Geordi was often the one stuck in the tenchobabbling role and, while I adore LeVar Burton, he was not the most versatile actor on the show. (He was excellent at what he did, but always tended to strike the same note. When it was the note needed, he was wonderful. When it wasn't...not so much.)

Go back and find some episodes that involve a lot of technobabble from Picard or Data, and you'll see what I mean. Patrick Stewart and Brent Spiner are amazing actors, and both have the acting skill not to rise *above* the babble, but to incorporate it into their character in such a way you barely even notice it. It just IS. Its not distracting because you're paying far more attention to the character and situation than to deciphering whatever babble the writers have put in their mouth.

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Optimist With Doubts
Title: Titlating
PostPosted: Oct 17 2009 02:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

^ pretty much all of this
Really I love TNG and have few complaints, though as much of a fan of Wheaton as I am Wesley is damn annoying sometimes.

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Oct 17 2009 02:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Optimist With Doubts wrote:
^ pretty much all of this
Really I love TNG and have few complaints, though as much of a fan of Wheaton as I am Wesley is damn annoying sometimes.

Well since even Wil Wheaton finds the little brat annoying as shit, I'd say you're in good company. Laughing

Seriously, have you ever read the reviews he did of all the Wesley-centric episodes? Funny as hell. He basically rips himself (and the writers) a new one while laughing maniacally.

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Oct 17 2009 02:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I think the fact that the author of that didn't even bother watching Battlestar Galactica ruins any credibility they could try to give their argument. Of course, BSG wasn't really a science fiction show, but it took a science fiction setting and did exactly what the guy bitching seems to want them to do.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

Reply to topic

Jump to: