"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
What's your favorite book?

Reply to topic
Captain_Pollution
Title: Hugh
PostPosted: Sep 20 2009 12:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, lamely generic thread, I know, but I'm just wondering what everyone's favorite book is. This came to light because the other day I was in the chatroom talking to Hawk about something, and I got thinking what my favorite was, about ten minutes ago, I came to my conclusion: Hugh MacLennan's The Watch That Ends the Night. It's simply the most amazing book I've ever read. MacLennan's philosophizing is very nice to read and the story actually kept me interested. What's more, by the end I actually cared what happened to the characters. The scenery is all so pretty and familiar, and... yeah. It's one of the few books where when it ends I kinda wish it kept going.

So anyway, what's everyone else's favorite, and why?

<Drew_Linky> Well, I've eaten vegetables all of once in my life.

Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Sep 20 2009 11:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'd have to say it's a tie between Less Than Zero and Silence of the Lambs. The first time I read Less Than Zero, it made me feel waaaaay better about not participating in all of the identity-destroying crap most of the people at my school are into (this book is solid proof that being "numb" is not the best way to go). Plus, every time I read it, I notice all these new little details that I hadn't come across before, and the best books do that in every read. I love Silence of the Lambs; Hannibal Lecter is the bomb, and Clarice Starling is a pretty likeable protagonist as well. Honorable mentions would have to go to 2061: Odyssey Three and Darkly Dreaming Dexter.

Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Sep 21 2009 03:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

When it comes to childhood nostalgia I'd have to say the Blood Of Kerensky Trilogy (Huge Battletech nerd) but my most favorite book is probably Towing Jehova, just because it's so damn bizarre.

JimmyLazer
Title: Always bored
PostPosted: Sep 21 2009 04:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

My favorites are The Icewind Dale series and The Chronicals of Narnia.

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Sep 21 2009 05:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

God, this is so, so SO hard. I'd have to break it down into genres.

Few off the top of my head, in terms of just epic, amazing books that I love...LOtR series.

Classic lit...Macbeth (okay its not technically a book, but gimmie a break) and Les Miserables.

Probably my *real* favorite book, in terms of times I can come back to it and read it over and over and over again without ever getting tired of it: Starship Troopers.

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Sep 21 2009 05:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

My favorite book that doesn't have pictures in it would have to be The Picture of Dorian Grey. It's also important to note that I don't read much, lol.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Sep 21 2009 07:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

...What's my favorite book?

Take a wild guess.
SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Sep 21 2009 08:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

UsaSatsui wrote:

Take a wild guess.

The Redwall series.

I'm right aren't I? Like so totally right.

militarysignatures.com

UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Sep 21 2009 08:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

SoldierHawk wrote:
UsaSatsui wrote:

Take a wild guess.

The Redwall series.

*checks his avatar*

*checks his signature*

...no?

(I do like the Redwall books)
SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Sep 21 2009 09:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

UsaSatsui wrote:
SoldierHawk wrote:
UsaSatsui wrote:

Take a wild guess.

The Redwall series.

*checks his avatar*

*checks his signature*

...no?

(I do like the Redwall books)

It was a joke, Usa. Laughing

I love Watership Down way, waaaay to much not to recognize your flair. I just named the first non-Watership, anthropomorphic book series I could think of.

militarysignatures.com

Optimist With Doubts
Title: Titlating
PostPosted: Sep 21 2009 10:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm tough call. I would say it's inbetween catcher in the rye and Breakfast of champions.

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Sep 21 2009 10:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

thats kind of hard for me to decide. it depends on my mood i guess and what genre you would be talking about.

what have i read recently that i liked? that would be the Malcolm X biography. im also halfway thru Heaven is a Playground and thats a very good read, for those who like basketball.

in terms of fantasy, i like the WoT series, and my favorite book in that series would be The Dragon Reborn or The Shadow Rising.

in terms of just fiction, maybe Fight Club, or Survivor. or the Plague or the Stranger.

man its just too hard to pinpoint

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Sep 22 2009 01:31 am Reply with quote Back to top

Man, I so, SO wanted to like WoT. I love the world and lore Jordan created--in fact that WoT reference book he wrote after like...the fifth book or something, is a book I regularly check out of the library because I like it so much. I just can't get into the novels. His writing and the characters just don't do it for me, which is a crying shame, because the world really is awesome.

I'm actually due to give them another shot though...its been a few years.

militarysignatures.com

username
PostPosted: Sep 22 2009 10:48 am Reply with quote Back to top

SoldierHawk wrote:
Man, I so, SO wanted to like WoT. I love the world and lore Jordan created--in fact that WoT reference book he wrote after like...the fifth book or something, is a book I regularly check out of the library because I like it so much. I just can't get into the novels. His writing and the characters just don't do it for me, which is a crying shame, because the world really is awesome.

he is too drawn out. descriptions that are way too long and complicated, and too many characters to keep track of. after book 4 or 5, it all went downhill.

Klimbatize wrote:

SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Sep 22 2009 11:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

username wrote:
SoldierHawk wrote:

he is too drawn out. descriptions that are way too long and complicated, and too many characters to keep track of. after book 4 or 5, it all went downhill.

You know what the death knell was for my interest in the book? All the Aes Sedai politics in the White Tower. Usually I love that kind of political maneuvering and plotting, but imho he just didn't handle it well. Rather than creating interest, it sucked the life out of the 'main' plot with Rand, and drew out the time in between action sequences, which he DOES do very well.

militarysignatures.com

AtmanRyu
Title: The Wandering Dragon
PostPosted: Sep 22 2009 11:45 am Reply with quote Back to top

Haven't read any recent books to be honest (other than graphic novels that is).

But from the books I have read on the other hand, I'd have to say it's among Don Quixote, From the Earth to the Moon and Gulliver's Travels. Divine Comedy is there too as well.
Adrock4
Title: Mostly Lurks, Now
PostPosted: Sep 22 2009 01:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Kinda hard to pick one. I like most Chuck Palahniuk novels, and Catcher in the Rye's a pretty good book.

MOGHARR
Title: The Original CandyWafer
PostPosted: Sep 23 2009 06:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Trainspotting, A Clockwork Orange, I like all the Redwall books I've read, Cirque du Freak.

"Well I don`t judge most things by graphics, reality has amazing graphics, and I don`t like it, that`s why I play video games." Laminated Sky on Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger
ReeperTheSeeker
PostPosted: Sep 23 2009 08:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Bunnicula by Deborah and James Howe. It's one of those nostalgic books that never get old.

ImageImageImage
Links, pics, vids . . . I shall post these when given the chance
Transformers 2 Review: ". . . Did i mention SHIT BLOWS UP?!!!"

username
PostPosted: Sep 23 2009 09:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

SoldierHawk wrote:
username wrote:
SoldierHawk wrote:

You know what the death knell was for my interest in the book? All the Aes Sedai politics in the White Tower. Usually I love that kind of political maneuvering and plotting, but imho he just didn't handle it well. Rather than creating interest, it sucked the life out of the 'main' plot with Rand, and drew out the time in between action sequences, which he DOES do very well.

yes, all the politics w/the Aes Sedai as well as w/all the nobles was fucking annoying. actually, the politics w/any group (whitecloaks, seanchan, et. al.) were very fucking annoying.

Klimbatize wrote:

SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Sep 23 2009 09:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

username wrote:
SoldierHawk wrote:
username wrote:
SoldierHawk wrote:

yes, all the politics w/the Aes Sedai as well as w/all the nobles was fucking annoying. actually, the politics w/any group (whitecloaks, seanchan, et. al.) were very fucking annoying.

Excellent, excellent point.

militarysignatures.com

Tyop
Title: Grammar Nazi
PostPosted: Sep 24 2009 04:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

My favorite books haven't changed for about ten years.

In terms of fiction, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. Joyce's name is usually associated with the perfection of the internal monologue and stream of consciousness writing but I love him more for his dense dialogue. His characters talk in a way that make you wish you could talk like them or at least listen to them forever. The discussions Stephen Dedalus has with his schoolmates about Aquinian aesthetics, Catholicism or how his friend ate pieces of dried cowdung as a kid are my favorite part of the entire novel.

In terms of non-fiction, my favorite book remains Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid. Sure, I've read books on the same topic with more substance. I've also read books of greater historical importance in the field, that have been more influential. And I've read books that I took more applicable knowledge away from. But never before or after have I read a book that has sparked as many ideas in my head and introduced me to as many new and fascinating concepts and ways of looking at things. There is probably no other book that has shaped my way of thinking and my interests as much as this one did.

Hacker
Banned
PostPosted: Sep 28 2009 12:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Mine would be enders game.

Berserk007
Title: Freelance Skull Grinder
PostPosted: Sep 28 2009 04:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

As far as oldies it is a toss up between Hamlet, Faust ( I know they are technically plays) and Dante's Inferno. For more modern books I would say The Dark Tower series, and The Lord of the Ring series.

For my confession they burned me with fire and found I was for endurance made. - The Arabian Nights

SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Sep 28 2009 04:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I love Dante <3. Do you like the Inferno part specifically, or the whole thing?

And Hacker, excellent choice. I love Card, and Ender's Game is just epic. Have you read any of the sequels/parallel novels?

militarysignatures.com

Reply to topic

Jump to: