SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Peter Jackson's The Hobbit Movie!

Reply to topic
Doddsino
PostPosted: Feb 08 2011 04:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

The only book I actually finished was The Hobbit. I got through most of FOTR and even read some of TT, but I never found Tolkien that interesting. And those movies were fucking brutal to watch.
Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Feb 08 2011 05:27 am Reply with quote Back to top

He sure spends a lot of time describing what everyone was eating / wearing, Maybe the wartime rationing had something to do with that... Confused

Thorton02
PostPosted: Feb 08 2011 11:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

Tolkien was a linguists professor which has to be some of the most boring crap ever.

Not to get off topic, but has anyone read the History of the Lord of the Rings by Tolkien's son? I couldn't get through the Silmarillion, but I'm wondering how these books do as far as getting more info on events that didn't get much attention in the regular books.

No, I don't think I will fuck Stummies.

Milhouse
PostPosted: Feb 08 2011 05:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'll put it this way: all of Tolkein's other books are boring. They weren't necessarily intended to be published; they were just notes used to create a back story and world for LOTR. They were edited by his son, so there is stuff that doesn't really have an explanation and there's no fluid storyline or anything particularly exciting. If you want to know about the history of Middle Earth, you'd be better off Google-ing it rather than trudging through anything other than The Hobbit or LOTR.
username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Apr 15 2011 09:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

behind the scenes stuff:

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Apr 16 2011 04:48 am Reply with quote Back to top

I've never been able to sit through The Lord Of The Ring after the first two times, but damn they did do a fucking nice job paying attention to detail, that whole green door hobbit house is exactly as I remember it being described when I read The Hobbit (class assignment I might add, best teacher ever) in middle school. Same thing with Gandalf, almost exactly how I pictured the fucker!

Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: May 20 2011 04:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

It's been announced that Stephen Fry will be joining the cast in the minor role of the Master of Laketown. The Master's conniving civil servant Afrid will be played by Ryan Gage. Lastly, the orc Azog will be played by Conan Stevens, whom I'm guessing is around 7'6" since the guy on the left (so that's what Peter Jackson looks like these days!) is 6'5"-6".

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

JimmyLazer
Title: Always bored
PostPosted: Jun 19 2011 10:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

They've picked Benedict Cumberbatch (Sherlock) to be the voice of Smaug..and Sauron? I like it.. But it's odd how both the antagonists who aren't related in anyway (Except far back Morgoth connections) are voiced by the same actor in the same movie... W/E Cumberbatch's voice is amazing so I'm all good.

Alowishus
PostPosted: Dec 22 2011 12:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Uh....so why is no one talking about this... i am kind of shocked.

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Dec 22 2011 01:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well it's still a whole fucking year before it comes out, and the trailer was underwhelming.

Alowishus
PostPosted: Dec 22 2011 02:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I thought it was quite good but nothing really happens in the Hobbit.

Riddles in the Dark was cool though, not how i imagined the scene would look when i read the book though.
Lady_Satine
PostPosted: Jul 18 2012 06:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

My but it's been some time since something deserved posting about this film, potentially making it into a trilogy:

From http://boingboing.net/2012/07/18/third-hobbit-movie.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Don't get too excited yet, but Peter Jackson is talking about possibly turning the two Hobbit movies he just completed filming -- The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey and The Hobbit: There and Back Again -- into a trilogy. Why? Because 1. Warner Bros. has the rights to the additional notes from J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings trilogy, which has all this groovy stuff in it that relates to The Hobbit, and 2. Jackson has all this extra footage lying around, just waiting to be seen. He spoke with Collider, warning that all of this is only in the earliest of stages:

Peter Jackson wrote:
Well, it’s very, very premature. We have got incredible source material with the appendices. There’s the novel, but then we also have the rights to use the 125 pages of additional notes where Tolkien expanded the world of The Hobbit. We’ve used some of that so far, and just in the last few weeks, as we’ve been wrapping up the shooting and thinking about the shape of the story, Philippa [Boyens], Fran [Walsh] and I have been talking to the studio about other things that we haven’t been able to shoot and seeing if we could possibly persuade them to do a few more weeks of shooting. We’d probably need more than a few weeks, actually, next year. The discussions are pretty early, so there isn’t anything to report, but there are other parts of the story that we’d like to tell, that we haven’t had the chance to tell yet. We’re just trying to have those conversations with the studio, at the moment.

I have a question: How hard would it be, really, for Peter Jackson -- a person who is Peter Jackson -- to "persuade" Warner Bros. that he can give the studio yet another epic Tolkien trilogy? Because that other one did fairly well, doncha know...

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Drew Linky
Wizard
PostPosted: Jul 18 2012 10:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Fuck, what? I don't want to watch three god damn movies about one story, I didn't even know there were already two. How hard can it possibly be to fit such a small book into one movie?

Somehow this angers me far beyond anything in the last few months.

https://discord.gg/homestuck is where you can find me literally 99% of the time. Stop on by if you feel like it, we're a nice crowd.

Lady_Satine
PostPosted: Jul 30 2012 07:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

GODDAMNIT!

Peter Jackson wrote:
It is only at the end of a shoot that you finally get the chance to sit down and have a look at the film you have made. Recently Fran, Phil and I did just this when we watched for the first time an early cut of the first movie - and a large chunk of the second. We were really pleased with the way the story was coming together, in particular, the strength of the characters and the cast who have brought them to life. All of which gave rise to a simple question: do we take this chance to tell more of the tale? And the answer from our perspective as the filmmakers, and as fans, was an unreserved ‘yes.' We know how much of the story of Bilbo Baggins, the Wizard Gandalf, the Dwarves of Erebor, the rise of the Necromancer, and the Battle of Dol Guldur will remain untold if we do not take this chance. The richness of the story of The Hobbit, as well as some of the related material in the appendices of The Lord of the Rings, allows us to tell the full story of the adventures of Bilbo Baggins and the part he played in the sometimes dangerous, but at all times exciting, history of Middle-earth. So, without further ado and on behalf of New Line Cinema, Warner Bros. Pictures, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, Wingnut Films, and the entire cast and crew of “The Hobbit” films, I’d like to announce that two films will become three. It has been an unexpected journey indeed, and in the words of Professor Tolkien himself, "a tale that grew in the telling." Cheers, Peter J

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jul 30 2012 11:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

If the The Hobbit can be three movies, why wasn't Lord of the Rings nine movies? Fuck that lazy piece of shit.

Also, King Kong sucked.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Jul 31 2012 01:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

Rise of the Necromancer? Who was that?

Drew Linky
Wizard
PostPosted: Jul 31 2012 01:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

The Necromancer was basically Sauron while he camped out in Mirkwood. He fled some time after Bilbo went through, although I fail to remember why. I think he was trying to regain some semblance of strength and power (it's also because of him that the Wood Elves are dying off, and the spiders are in such great numbers at the time of the Hobbit).

https://discord.gg/homestuck is where you can find me literally 99% of the time. Stop on by if you feel like it, we're a nice crowd.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Aug 01 2012 02:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I thought Sauron was just a giant floating evil eye?
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Aug 01 2012 02:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

not evil... just misunderstood

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Drew Linky
Wizard
PostPosted: Aug 02 2012 01:11 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
I thought Sauron was just a giant floating evil eye?

You know, I was confused on that part as well.

However, I read the Silmarillion. So I apologize for this, but I'm going to go full nerd mode for a minute or two. Don't worry, there's a too long; didn't read at the bottom.

[SPOILER:d11f26e64d]Sauron was the chief lieutenant of Morgoth, which was one of the Valar who were created by Eru, the Supreme Being of everything in Tolkein's universe. The Ainur were responsible for creation of Middle Earth, singing it into existence. Morgoth was the most intelligent of the Ainur and became proud, to the point where he thought himself superior to the others. He began to ruin the song of the earth, and the dissonance created disaster and evil (the singing was basically the foretelling of all history on Middle Earth, and every wrong note Morgoth made caused various disasters and discord on Middle Earth). Others joined him out of confusion, and these people would become his allies. As history played out, Morgoth and any other Valar who wanted could go into Middle Earth to become Ainur, similar in stature to Greek gods and goddesses. Doing so, he became the main proponent for evil and injustice. Sauron was one of the Valar who joined him in Middle Earth, although significantly less powerful than Morgoth.

Anyway, Sauron was his chief lieutenant, and would often complete tasks and missions that Morgoth was too hasty to do himself. Time passes, and he hatches a scheme to bring the elves into his (and by extension, Morgoth's) service. He changed form into a being called Annatar, "Lord of Gifts". He befriended the elven smiths led by Celebrimbor, teaching them magic to help with their smithing. Using their skill, he crafted the rings of power (minus the One Ring). Later he created the ring to rule them all in Mount Doom, bestowing it with the ability to control all who wore the other rings of power, hence the name. This ability required the transfer of most of his native power into the ring itself, becoming a sort of amplifier of his abilities while he himself wore it. The elves noticed his plot when he began to wear the ring, so they removed the rings, saving themselves. The ringwraiths were the human kings that received rings, and the dwarves will could not be bent to Sauron's end.

A great war raged throughout Middle Earth at this time, with Sauron emerging the loser for the most part. He wasn't defeated entirely, but the power of Numenorians in Middle Earth was so great that he couldn't leave Mordor for some time. He instead focused on regaining control of Orcs and Trolls (which had served Morgoth for millenia, but abandoned them when he lost the war), and won over most of the Men east and south of Mordor, becoming a god-king of them.

At the time of Isildur, the last great armies of men and elves came to defeat him, which they did. He lost his physical form and spent subsequent centuries as a formless cloud of evil energy, camping out in Mirkwood where he gradually became known as The Necromancer. The eye seen in the films is the greatest manifestation he could manage, as he was unable to regain a corporeal form without the One Ring. I believe (but I'm not sure on this) that he built the tower of Barad Dur (destroyed at the end of Return of the King) as a fall back in just such an emergency. The tower provides a great vantage with which to spy on the happenings of Middle Earth.[/SPOILER:d11f26e64d]

In case you're not interested or just didn't want to deal with reading all of that shit, he invested most of his power in the One Ring when he made it, and after he was defeated (lost the ring), he lost his physical form, having to grow power back naturally in Mirkwood. After he gained enough power to do so, he became the Eye you see in the films. He would have needed the ring to become a humanoid again.

EDIT: There are some inaccuracies, I'll clarify if anyone wants to know.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Aug 02 2012 05:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

Apparently Sauron did have a physical body in the time of the LOTR trilogy, and it was destroyed once and for all when the ring fell into Mount Doom. Jackson just never bothered to show the physical body in LOTR. Also the Eye of Sauron is not a physical eye in Tolkien's book, but a presence that one can see and feel in their mind. Most film adaptations make it a literal eye, because it's easier to explain/depict.
JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Aug 02 2012 01:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Jackson just never bothered to show the physical body in LOTR.

This guy disagrees.

Drew Linky
Wizard
PostPosted: Aug 02 2012 02:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Apparently Sauron did have a physical body in the time of the LOTR trilogy, and it was destroyed once and for all when the ring fell into Mount Doom.

Actually, I was wrong, and this is true. But the body he made for himself was very weak (at least, in comparison to the one he had before), so he didn't use it very much. Instead he manifested a lot of his will and thought into the eye you see. I think that was an actual part of Tolkienian literature, but it wasn't seated at the top of Barad Dur. It was just a part of him, as usual. The eye is just a great way to portray his constant vigilance and far reaching vision, and influence.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Aug 02 2012 05:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

IIRC Josh, that scene is a flashback to the Second Age, whereas the movies themselves take place in the Third Age.
JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Aug 02 2012 06:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I know, I was just saying that Jackson did show his physical form in the film.

Reply to topic

Jump to: