SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Legos *NEW review on page 4*

Reply to topic
Doddsino
PostPosted: Dec 03 2009 02:13 am Reply with quote Back to top

Just an update, I went ahead and ordered the Fire Station (just for you, Pineapple!) and should either get it tomorrow or Friday.

They even knocked $10 off and free shipping. Also if anyone is looking to buy Legos for Christmas or anything, shipping is free until the 6th of December.

I'll try to upload some pictures one I get the set built.
pineapple
PostPosted: Dec 03 2009 04:46 am Reply with quote Back to top

About time you updated in this thread Dodd.

Haha, thanks, sounds great man. Again, I can't wait to see this set. Good luck on it.
Pandajuice
Title: The Power of Grayskull
PostPosted: Dec 04 2009 11:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

Right on! That fire station looks really cool.
pineapple
PostPosted: Dec 04 2009 06:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You already know what it looks like?
Pandajuice
PostPosted: Dec 04 2009 07:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, my stepson just got the Christmas Lego catalogue in the other day and it's pictured there. It's just like the Green Grocer and other enclosed buildings like that, but is a firehouse obviously. I think there's even poles, a 1920s style fire engine, and a dalmation that come with it.
pineapple
PostPosted: Dec 07 2009 05:09 am Reply with quote Back to top

Damn Dodd, you're taking a long time to make this one.
Doddsino
PostPosted: Dec 07 2009 08:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry it took so long to respond. As I earlier stated, I figured that the Fire Station would be delivered by either Thursday or Friday of last week, but I never recieved anything. On SUNDAY, I decided to track the package and it said it was delivered. The UPS company delivers to my front door. That being said, I usually use a side door to go outside and whatnot, however the door no longer latches shut and won't stay closed, so recently it had to be duct taped shut in order to keep it shut, which pretty much meant that I was no longer using that door. Anyways after I walked around to the side of the house, I discovered the set was there. Not only that, it was delivered on Wednesday! So basically, it had been sitting there for 4 days, luckily no one stole it. UPS is retarded, not only is it inconvient for them to deliver to the side door, but there's also a sign that says to deliver to the front door! I also recieved the Market Street set early this afternoon.

First up is the Fire Station. I have to say, this is probably the most interesting and detailed set to look at. The only set back I have about this set was that it was somewhat boring to build at points. There was about 20 pages of nothing but walls, and for nearly half of those, the walls were unstable so I had to keep going back and securing them in place. The finished product is awesome though, it's the tallest set of the 4 modular houses I have and probably the heaviest. There's only two things I dislike about this set and one is the the flag, but that's just my own personal thought, although I do think it's innovative.

This is the set I recieved today. Not only did I pay the most for this set, it's probably also my least favorite. Partly because while the other 3 sets have about 2,000 pieces each, this one contains around 1,200. Another thing to note is this is the only set that doesn't contain the traditional smiling faces for it's people. It's also the lightest set and much like the Cafe Corner, not detailed inside, but that's fine since it's already very crowded inside. If you notice the small yellow and green plant at the bottom, it actually laid right on top if the bottom piece which made it look tacky, I added a couple bricks as support which makes it look better, I did the same for the manhole cover, if you compare to the prototype pictures, you might understand what I mean. The sections that seperate can also be rotated, which is very cool since the section with the balcony would usually face to the right; which I had facing the Green Grocer, so I switched it 90 degrees to the front. The building and the garden area also seperate so that you can switch sides, so place them seperately apart. While every other set took around 8+ hours to build, this one took about 4.

Here's the back of the buildings. Not much to say other than a somewhat nice design on the Market Street walls which don't make it seem so dull. As I said before, the gray walls with the Fire Station were pretty boring to build. I really like the blue walls, which is one of the reasons why Market Street was worth getting, it really compliments the entire street line.

The Fire Station wouldn't be complete without a fire engine. THIS is how you build a vehicle! What always bothered me growing up was how a car, truck, etc. would only fit one person. This seats 2 people which I believe is enough for an old fire engine. The ONE thing I hate about this set is the damn ladder on the side of the engine. Now Lego already has a ladder piece, but they decided to allow you to construct your own, which is cool since I don't think you could actually grip the old model. What fails here is how fragile the ladder is, it's basically not even worth touching since any force will cause it to fall apart, really bothered me since I wanted to use it to display in the front of the Station with someone rescuing the cat, but I guess kittah will have to come down on his/her own.

Since there's nothing inside Market Street(except a stair case), I'm not going to show any pictures. Here we see the first floor of the Fire Station. I couldn't pull back any further without not capturing anything, so I just focused on the hat rack and such. The "hooks" are frogs, one of which is a little loose. The fire pole connects to the second floor where all the activities go on.

Here's the second floor, sorry about the lighting. Easily the most detailed floor of any building; a sofa, ping pong table, fridge, cabinet, microwave, oven and sink. The fridge opens and even has a few groceries inside.

Here's a different shot of the same floor showing a little more. I like the idea of the ping pong table, except the net. The net is slightly favoring one side.

Here's the top of the Station. I figured the bell would be a solid piece, but believe it or not it actually moves, but it doesn't ring, which is good. There's also a door that connects to the stair case on the second floor, and the water tower was a nice touch as well.

Overall, I still think Green Grocer is my favorite set, but the Fire Station is a close second. Cafe Corner and Market Street are both earlier sets, so the fact that they're not as detailed is fine. I give these 2 sets an A+ and a B respectively. The next step I decide to do is to possibly do a detailed Cafe interior, which probably won't happen for a while. I've also been fooling around with a Lego program that allows you to make your own sets, which you can also purchase, but there are limitations within the sets itself and I'm going to wait for what Lego comes out with next before I decide to try my own.
pineapple
PostPosted: Dec 07 2009 08:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Shocked The Fire Station is absolutely great! It has a ping pong table for crying out loud and the truck is very sweet. Why don't you use a regular ladder instead of that fragile one? The ladder looks out of place on that truck.
Doddsino
PostPosted: Dec 07 2009 09:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I actually don't have a regular classic ladder, and it's really not worth it to buy alone so I'll probably find another way to display it the way I want. It was also the longest I spent on a set, it took me around 9 1/2 hours to complete.

Also I don't know the reason why there is a croussiant hanging on Market Street(to the right of the gates), I wish someone could explain what that's supposed to be since it's just ridiculous to look at without knowing what it's supposed to be.
pineapple
PostPosted: Dec 08 2009 04:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hell, I'll mail you a normal ladder if I can find it.
LowEndLem
Title: Not Gay
PostPosted: Dec 08 2009 12:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Okay, I don't know how many of you remember the space shuttle one. The one that was really long, with the arm inside and awesome. I built it, quick as a mofo when I got it on Christmas. I brought it downstairs to show my family, and my cousin walked by and casually smacked it out of my hand.

All that work.

And that's when I quit Legos and tried to kill my cousin.

<docinsano>i beat off using save states

<Tako> But, brontosaurs ate plants. It wouldn't be a threat to Jesus.

Why? Fuck you, that's why.

Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Dec 08 2009 03:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Laughing I remember dropping overly complicated models and pulling a super slow mo NOOOOOOOO while it tumbled through the air, only to shatter against the hardwood floor. Sad

Doddsino
PostPosted: Dec 08 2009 06:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

pineapple wrote:
Hell, I'll mail you a normal ladder if I can find it.

Well I appreciate it, but it's not necessary unless you want to. The ladder doesn't make or break the set, it was just my annoyance with how fragile it is.

And yes, I've been there before with dropping sets, usually on a staircase.
pineapple
PostPosted: Dec 09 2009 12:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

If I can find it, I'd be more than happy to send it your way.
Doddsino
PostPosted: Dec 09 2009 04:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I appreciate it Pineapple, I really do. And I might upload my design for the Cafe interior later on.
pineapple
PostPosted: Dec 11 2009 05:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

It would be no problem at all. I need to go find the box of legos and start my search.
Andrew Man
Title: Is a Funklord
PostPosted: Dec 12 2009 01:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Wow, those were more impressive than I thought they would be.

Haha, the face of the guy cleaning up the bloody mess, smiling all along.

My Muzaks! CHECK IT OUT!!!
http://www.facebook.com/hellodharmaband

3DS is very good, and Wii U!

Doddsino
PostPosted: Jan 08 2010 04:26 am Reply with quote Back to top

Just some minor Lego news

First off, it was announced a while back that another modular building would be released in March. Apparently it's going to be a store, but no pictures have surfaced yet, the thing is around 2,100 pieces though.

Also another REALLY cool set is out. Anyone who liked the Pirate ships would like this:

This fucker has twice as many pieces as the biggest Pirate ship ever released. One of the best looking sets I've ever seen and if I wasn't already dedicating my hard earned money towards the modular sets, I would get this.

It even comes with a damn pipe organ. Laughing
Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Jan 08 2010 05:31 am Reply with quote Back to top

Wow, that's really awesome. The only big sets I ever had were one of those Black castles with the hinges and connector in the rear (got that the same Christmas I got the Cobra Terrordrome) and a similar ship, though I know it was a pirate one instead of the good guys.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Jan 08 2010 01:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Were Pirate ships normally fitted with pipe organs? Laughing

pineapple
PostPosted: Jan 08 2010 03:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

^ That's what I was wondering. That pirate ship looks impressive.
Doddsino
PostPosted: Jan 09 2010 06:32 am Reply with quote Back to top

How else are they supposed to know the tune to "15 Men on a Dead Man's Chest"? Wink

I was checking through some stuff and I discovered that the Cafe Corner that I purchased a few months back has been discontinued.

The price I paid: $120

The price on Ebay that people are bidding: $200 and up (average is around $250), hell USED models are more than what I paid! This might be quite an investment!

Also, while it's not discontinued, the Fire Station is no longer available since it's sold out. I doubt they'll ship any more out, that's usually the way Lego is. I can see that going up pretty high in price since it's only been available since September.

So figuring conservatively right now, I would make over $200 PROFIT if I were to sell my USED sets. This is from November, folks!

Anyways, here's a few custom buildings I found that some creators made, amazing that they can do this without instructions and have exactly what they need:

And my personal favorite:

pineapple
PostPosted: Jan 09 2010 06:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

Doddsino wrote:

Damn, I love the attention to detail on this one. Amazing!
Pandajuice
PostPosted: Jan 09 2010 08:52 am Reply with quote Back to top

Man that pop-up thing is insane! You know, if the Japanese invaded and took over the USA, I don't think I'd be all that upset because of things like that.

Also, the city diorama with the train is awesome too. Hopefully one day, I'll be able to afford something like that to put in the games room.
Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Jan 09 2010 12:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Holy shit at the pop up! Surprised

Reply to topic

Jump to: