[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Slayer album banned in India

Reply to topic
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Oct 10 2006 11:56 am Reply with quote Back to top

I've never been a big Slayer fan, but this is still pretty ridiculous:

MUMBAI (Reuters) - U.S. heavy metal band Slayer's latest album has been recalled from music stores across India after the country's small Christian community said the cover depicting Christ with amputated arms and a missing eye was insulting.

Christian groups said the album -- "Christ Illusion" -- did not only have an offensive image on its cover, but some of the songs such as "Skeleton Christ" and "Jihad" hurt the sensibilities of Christians and Muslims alike.

"We took strong exception to the album which is offensive and in very bad taste," said Joseph Dias of Mumbai's Catholic Secular Forum.

The protests prompted EMI Music, Slayer's Indian-based label, to pull the album from all music stores and its depots.

"Last week we recalled all the albums and destroyed them as we did not want any community to be hurt," said T. Suresh, the company general manager.

In May, Christians, who make up about two per cent of Hindu-majority India's one-billion plus population, protested against the screening of "The Da Vinci Code", and forced its producers, Sony Pictures, to add a disclaimer saying the movie was a work of fiction.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Oct 10 2006 11:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

And here's the album cover:

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
PhreQuencYViii
Title: olololol
PostPosted: Oct 10 2006 12:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I guess thats what happens when you have cover art like that, maybe they should have stuck a slipcase over it like Marilyn Manson use to do so that people wouldn't notice as much (didn't work for him though)

I bet a lot of other crap has been banned in other countries too. I know Cannibal Corpse has the album Butchered at Birth banned in Germany, and they aren't allowed to play stuff from there first 3 albums there.

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
Char Aznable
Title: Char Classicâ„¢
PostPosted: Oct 10 2006 08:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It's kind of a gross image, but it's not offensive.

Murdar Machene
Title: bimmy
PostPosted: Oct 10 2006 08:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I just wore my Slayer shirt today. Funny stuff. I hope I offended someone.
PhreQuencYViii
Title: olololol
PostPosted: Oct 10 2006 08:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I work at a nursing home and I wear my Cattle Decapitation shirts and stuff like that, the old people either go OMG or they think it's cool, which I think sort of cool.

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
Reply to topic

Jump to: