"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
John Cena

Reply to topic
King
Title: CTE
PostPosted: Jul 21 2008 02:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Worst gimmick ever was the Billy and Chuck almost gay wedding thing, with Rico (who was an original American Gladiators winner)
I miss good stories like long fueds between groups like the Million Dollar Corporation, and well everyone else.

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Jul 21 2008 02:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

They got useless tools like Orton and Cena trying to carry the company, while all the real talent such as Kendrek, Jericho, HBK, etc are thrown into mid-card throw away feuds.

The only thing they are doing right at the moment, is letting CM Punk carry the title. And, guess what? It's paying off. On the last Raw, during the CM Punk match, the ratings peaked 0.7 higher than any other segment on the show.
nihilisticglee
PostPosted: Jul 21 2008 03:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I feel the need to note that Knedrick seems to be getting a push. I'd rather see a world title on him then on Punk, but I am happy with him picking up wins for now.
uncle joe
PostPosted: Jul 21 2008 03:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

What you guys fail to realize is that the WWE is a publicly traded company, and they want to make money. Sure it would be nice to see Kendrick as something other than a doormat, but whenever the WWE decides to have who we dub a "mat tech" as champ, they lead to terrible buys/draws. When Bret Hart and HBK were world champs, the company almost went bankrupt.

Charisma and popularity takes precedence over WWE, and it's worked for them. There's a reason why WWE's lowest pay per view in terms of buys is in the 100,000's and ROH had a PPV where less than 30 people bought it. If having mat techs was good for business and what the majority actually wanted, they'd be there.

And I love how Cena is "useless", even though his merchandise sales lap everyone else in the company, even that of DX when they reunited a while back.

nihilisticglee
PostPosted: Jul 21 2008 03:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The merchandise is the sole reason he is face right now. It caters to small childern, which is kind of annoying because that becomes the group he is the most over in. Then we get promo where he uses the word poopy. It is fucking childish.

Also, Kndrick is more of a high flyer, even though he was using a lot of ground work durring his last match.
Optimist With Doubts
Title: Titlating
PostPosted: Jul 21 2008 03:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

uncle joe wrote:
When Bret Hart and HBK were world champs, the company almost went bankrupt.
QUE?

nihilisticglee
PostPosted: Jul 21 2008 03:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Optimist With Doubts wrote:
uncle joe wrote:
When Bret Hart and HBK were world champs, the company almost went bankrupt.
QUE?

I am guessing he is refering to the Monday Night Wars. And he is right, the WWE was losing money at the time, but it wasn't because of who was champ, it was because WCW had a stronger roster.
uncle joe
PostPosted: Jul 21 2008 03:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, but at the same time, had Bret stayed in WWE at the beginning of the Attitude ERA, he would have killed the E because he was on the serious downside of his career. Looking back, his arrival was one of the downfalls of WCW (among other things) even though noone would like to admit it.

Though the WWE has done a bunch of things that irk me (mishandling Kane, gay Invasion angle, Lashley) they often do good.

Also, Rico may have had a gay gimmick, literally, the dude could flat out wrestle. Too bad he went back to being a cop.

nihilisticglee
PostPosted: Jul 21 2008 04:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

WCW fell because of two things, Russo and the fact that they were hiring when too many wrestlers.

Also, going back to the PPV thing, it is really hard to judge that. The WWE has at least three shows a week, plus house shows, that can be used to hype the PPVs. ROH has a few house shows. The sheer amount of advertising the WWE does makes a huge difference. Also, ROH is really difficult to find when ordering PPVs for some reason.
Ghandi
Title: Alexz Aficionado
PostPosted: Jul 21 2008 05:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

King wrote:
Worst gimmick ever was the Billy and Chuck almost gay wedding thing, with Rico (who was an original American Gladiators winner)

I had to comment on this. The Ambiguously Gay Duo(Billy & chuck, whatever you call them) was a hilarious gimmic. Rico was icing on the cake.

"I thought he'd never come."
--Billy Gunn

Very Happy

Anyway, I knew this was going to be a hot topic. Cena is the nail in the coffin of a continuous increasing speed of the downward spiral the WWE has taken. Plus, he's just not that good. Who cares if he sells.

There's too much for me to answer now, but I wanted to chime in Smile

RIP Hacker

Alexz Johnson

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jul 21 2008 08:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Bret Hart's arrival in WCW didn't hurt the company at all. It was probably a terrible move for him though, as Hogan kept him out of the title picture. Vince Russo eventually gave him the title, which was working out pretty well, but then Goldberg accidentally ended Hart's career, thus further straining the already heavily injured WCW roster. This would eventually lead to the lowest point in WCW booking, with Sid Vicious becoming champion. With most of its marquee stars gone, the ratings slumped and never recovered.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Ghandi
Title: Alexz Aficionado
PostPosted: Jul 21 2008 09:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

WCW also refused to create new stars, something the WWE seems to be able to do. WCW spent a lot of its time running on established and legendary stars of it's time while keeping the rest under a glass ceiling.

RIP Hacker

Alexz Johnson

Gantrithor
Title: Big Sexy
PostPosted: Jul 23 2008 12:28 am Reply with quote Back to top

I never really got into face Cena, he was good as a heel wrestler and when he did raps. Nowadays I only watch WWE programming for Chris Jericho, Mr. Kennedy, JBL, and Kane. Most of the time I watch TNA even if the storylines aren't that interesting.
Douche McCallister
Title: DOO-SHAY
PostPosted: Jul 23 2008 12:55 am Reply with quote Back to top

Reading the book and watching the Monday Night Wars DVD several times, it seems that, like Ghandi said, the lack of pushing lead to the disaster. They really could have ended WWF, and boy was it close. Like when Jericho and Eddy left, they were of the group of people I really liked watching. Rey Mysterio, Ultimo Dragon, Juvi...after that I just didn't care anymore. I watched the story line cause it was fun and awesome, but when I wanted to see wrestling I watched the Luchadores. Jay Leno, Karl Malone...GREAT TIMES!

Cena isn't bad all around, but christ you have to move the belt A LITTLE bit more.

King
Title: CTE
PostPosted: Jul 23 2008 11:54 am Reply with quote Back to top

Move it as in have other champions, or for him to hit the spinner more?
I miss the competition and different wrestlers, both characters, styles, and story lines
I loved Cactus Jack and Big Maxx Payne, a great example of how WWE can fuck a character up, they made Big Maxx Payne, into Man mountain Rock, that sucked

Reply to topic

Jump to: