SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby.

Reply to topic
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Aug 06 2006 07:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I saw it Friday night. It fucking ruled.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Black Zarak
Title: Big Coffin Hunter
PostPosted: Aug 07 2006 01:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well, that endorsement does away with any doubts I had about seeing it (which were already pretty much none.)

REVIEWS, LEGOS, NONSENSE Check out Zarak's Barracks!

"Let that be a lesson to you, your family and everyone you've ever known..."

"Thanks to denial, I'm immortal!"

Murdar Machene
Title: bimmy
PostPosted: Aug 07 2006 02:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

What is it? What's it about?
JWcolour
PostPosted: Aug 07 2006 11:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, I went to this movie because I am a Huge NASCAR fan and also of Will...

I thought the movie was funny, as many hit jokes as it had there was alot of filler i think but what do you expect. Overall good movie, but I thought it could use a lot more Sascha Baron Cohen and a lot less "Shake and Bake".
Rycona
Title: The Maestro
PostPosted: Aug 09 2006 06:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I really liked the movie all in all.. but it did have it's modern day SNL/MAD TV shock moments and lame humor, in my opinion. I'd be more detailed, but I can't remember specifics too well. One of my favorite scenes though was the first grace. Baby Jesus was the best form of Jesus.

RIP Hacker.

Black Zarak
PostPosted: Aug 14 2006 12:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

My favorite part was the outtake at the end where Michael Clarke Duncan talks about how he likes to dress up like Donna Summer. Even if the whole movie had sucked (which it didn't) that one part would have made it all worth it.

Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Aug 14 2006 03:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I liked it too. I kinda liked Anchorman better, but knowing that once again a ton of material was cut and will no doubt be made available on DVD, I'll probably be seeing much more of this movie.

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Black Zarak
PostPosted: Aug 14 2006 03:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Tebor wrote:
I liked it too. I kinda liked Anchorman better, but knowing that once again a ton of material was cut and will no doubt be made available on DVD, I'll probably be seeing much more of this movie.

Yeah, I noticed a couple spots that looked like they had been re-cut. Like when he goes to talk to Jean, and tells him twice that he came out to say one thing to him, and I don't think he was just repeating it for emphasis.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Aug 14 2006 03:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

What really struck me was that like half of the stuff in the trailer wasn't in the movie:

1. Ricky asking the bartender for a fastball and getting a drink thrown at his head
2. Mr. Dennit's son looking at Ricky's junk in the bathroom and Ricky saying "Yeah, it's the real deal down there"
3. Jean on TV telling Ricky he was coming for him.
4. Cal asking if he could win once and Ricky saying you can't have two number ones. Cal agrees, saying that two ones adds up to eleven.

Granted, there was a different version of #4 in the movie, but still. I wonder if they shot an excessive amount of additional footage like they did for Anchorman. Maybe we'll get Wake Up, Ricky Bobby. Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me. There were a couple of subplots that weren't developed as well as they could have been:

1. What the hell happened to the elder Mr. Dennit? Presumably he died, but it was never really dealt with. Usually when the kindly owner dies, it's a major turning point in the movie. Look at BASEketball or Used Cars. In this movie, they just sort of glossed over it.

How did Ricky end up with full custody of his kids? They had agreed to share custody. Also, how the hell did Carley end up with all of Ricky's money? A divorce is 50/50 unless there's a prenup.

What exactly was Ricky and Cal's relationship at the end of the movie? Clearly they were friends again, but was Cal back to being Ricky's slingshot? Was Ricky going to slingshot for Cal? Does Cal quit Dennit Racing? I'm pretty sure Larry Dennit Jr. wasn't going to rehire Ricky.

Despite all these unanswered questions, I absolutely loved the movie. I haven't laughed that hard in a theater since the first time I saw The 40 Year Old Virgin and South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Tebor
PostPosted: Aug 14 2006 05:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
What really struck me was that like half of the stuff in the trailer wasn't in the movie...

I wonder if they shot an excessive amount of additional footage like they did for Anchorman. Maybe we'll get Wake Up, Ricky Bobby. Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me.

I'd say there's a good bet of the bonus movie... although, I believe they didn't shoot an entirely different plot for the movie, which would make it difficult.

The lack of trailer footage in the actually movie really reminded me of Anchorman where Ron is shot, hitchhiking, jumping on a table with Veronica and screaming "LET'S MAKE A BABY!!!", etc. Thanks to DVD though, it seems all these shenanigans will see the light of day like they were with the earlier film.

I have to say though, it's kinda smart to put outtakes of the movie to make people want to go, but not to ruin the BIG laughs in the actual film. Sure it bugs me, but that's the problem I had with the second Austin Powers. And the best laughs are always unexpected.

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Aug 14 2006 07:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Tebor wrote:
I have to say though, it's kinda smart to put outtakes of the movie to make people want to go, but not to ruin the BIG laughs in the actual film. Sure it bugs me, but that's the problem I had with the second Austin Powers. And the best laughs are always unexpected.

Yeah, I absolutely agree. Still, it stinks that ther e is lost footage from older films that we may never see. For example, the Robin Hood: Men In Tights trailer had a scene where Prince John is taking a bath and commands that his royal bubble-blowers provide him with more bubbles.
Tebor
PostPosted: Aug 14 2006 11:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Yeah, I absolutely agree. Still, it stinks that ther e is lost footage from older films that we may never see. For example, the Robin Hood: Men In Tights trailer had a scene where Prince John is taking a bath and commands that his royal bubble-blowers provide him with more bubbles.

Dear Lord, I remember that scene... actually, wasn't that added to the Comedy Central version? Or, my memory is just playing tricks on me again.

DarkMaze
PostPosted: Aug 15 2006 09:46 am Reply with quote Back to top

Tebor wrote:
Syd Lexia wrote:

Dear Lord, I remember that scene... actually, wasn't that added to the Comedy Central version? Or, my memory is just playing tricks on me again.

I'm positive I've seen that scene in the movie. Maybe it was just for the TV version, but I know it made it in there somewhere...
RandomFarthead™
Title: Billy Buttfarter™
PostPosted: Aug 23 2006 10:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

and then the sheriff walks in and prince john goes, "What? They're not my bubbles." Then points at the blowers.

Reply to topic

Jump to: