"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Knock Off and Double Team

Reply to topic
Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Jul 07 2006 01:45 am Reply with quote Back to top

I finally got around to watching "Knock Off", the Jean Claude Van Damme / Rob Schneider action vehicle of 1998.

I was completely surprised. I'm not saying it was good nor bad, but nothing prepared me for what I saw.

It's pretty clear this film was made in Hong Kong with an all Hong Kong crew. In fact, the director of the film was the director of one of my favorite Jet Li films "Once Upon a Time In China". The visual style of the movie was extraordinarily Asian. Flowing camera, fast rapid tempo, fighting choreography, violence, comedy, slapstick, structure, twists, and sanity were all on par with any chop socky film.

I'm a big fan of the Fortune Star imports (Fox division that remasters and distributes many early films of Jackie Chan, John Woo, Jet Li, Yuen-Woo Ping, Chow Yun-Fat, etc.), so I'm used to seeing these kinds of movies. However, I fear that the rest of America wasn't expecting a movie like this back in '98; I remember the film getting a fairly wide release. So the movie's plot is pretty silly (bombs embedded into counterfeit merchandise) and the audio dubbing is atrocious, but the style of the movie is completely unlike any other Hollywood action movie at that time (to this day still). I got a feeling that had an effect on the five people who actually saw this film back then.

Luckily, there's the cheap world of DVDs and rentals. If someone ends up watching this movie, it's because they wanted to.

Might be a roundabout way of asking, but is this movie anything like "Double Team" (another Van Damme and director Tsui Hark team up)?

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Avian
PostPosted: Jul 16 2006 07:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I dunno, but I read somewhere that Van Dam is working on a new movie called "Kumite," which is supposed to be kind of a "followup" to Bloodsport, although the character has a different name, so I suppose it's not really a followup.

I know he got into some kind of legal battle with the real Frank Dux, so I guess he can't use that name again.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jul 16 2006 07:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I heard Van Damme was going to be the bad guy in Rush Hour 3.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Jul 17 2006 01:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

God willing Surprised

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Reply to topic

Jump to: