"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
M:TG

Reply to topic
S. McCracken
Title: Enforcer
PostPosted: Sep 23 2005 03:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Except for the people I know personally on this site, does anyone here play any CCG's like M:TG? If you don't understand what I'm talking about then assume I'm not talking to you.

Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: Sep 23 2005 07:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You know, I had this weird feeling that you guys played M:TG. I started playing at Ice Age, and continued through until Nemesis. The event that led me to believe that Magic was controlling my circle of friends occured during a game of Taboo. You know, the game where you have to get your team to say the secret word without using 5 related words? Well, my friend picked up the next card and said, "You tap this for a green mana!"

Lately I've considered writing a Sploofus quiz by giving a flavour text and having to guess the card. I think this will be much more productive here. Let's start easy.

'It was big. Really big. No, it was bigger than that. It was BIG.'

By the way, Valdronius was originally a Halfling Thief. I wonder if anyone else played AD&D.

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

OctoMan
PostPosted: Sep 23 2005 09:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Valdronius wrote:
I wonder if anyone else played AD&D.

*ponders whether or not I'd be too embarassed to admit that I know what you guys are talking about. Embarrassed

Ok... I never played M:TG (although I know what it is), but I did play AD&D when I was younger.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Sep 23 2005 11:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have it on good authority it's this guy:

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Sep 24 2005 01:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

I have not played since I went to camp.

Personally, I want to play XF-CCG again. And I wish I got into SW-CCG.

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: Sep 24 2005 03:52 am Reply with quote Back to top

Well gee Syd, visuals are great and all, but the answer would have sufficed. No need to go overkill. That reminds me of another one of my favorites.
'Overkill? This isn't a game of 'kick the ouphee'.' Classic.

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Sep 24 2005 06:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

Tebor wrote:
I have not played since I went to camp.

Personally, I want to play XF-CCG again. And I wish I got into SW-CCG.

AsI recall, the Star Wars one wasn't that good. The nice thing about Magic was that you had a huge card pool to draw from and you could feasibly win without obtaining the super expensive cards. With Star Wars, your deck had to be either Light Side or Dark Side. I think the intention of the game's designed was for every player to have one of each, but it was much easier for a new player to make a Dark Side deck because most of the Rebel ships sucked. And since you couldn't play Dark Side vs. Dark Side, you'd have to take turns playing the fairly cool Dark Side decks against each other's half-assed Light Side decks that neither of you really wanted to play. Thus, you'd essentially take turns routing each other.

There was a lot less versality in the SW game too. If you really wanted to win, you needed to obtain the main characters, all of whom happened to be rare. Another thing that really bugged me was that there were too many cards that targeted a specific card. Like there was a card that's only purpose was to kill General Tarkin. Now, that was great if your opponent was playing General Tarkin, but Tarkin was a rare and Tarkin Seeker was a common. The game didn't have all the overly complicated timing issues that Magic has, but I still don't think it was quite as noob friendly.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Tebor
PostPosted: Sep 24 2005 01:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
I think the intention of the game's designed was for every player to have one of each, but it was much easier for a new player to make a Dark Side deck because most of the Rebel ships sucked. And since you couldn't play Dark Side vs. Dark Side, you'd have to take turns playing the fairly cool Dark Side decks against each other's half-assed Light Side decks that neither of you really wanted to play. Thus, you'd essentially take turns routing each other.

There was a lot less versality in the SW game too. If you really wanted to win, you needed to obtain the main characters, all of whom happened to be rare. Another thing that really bugged me was that there were too many cards that targeted a specific card. Like there was a card that's only purpose was to kill General Tarkin. Now, that was great if your opponent was playing General Tarkin, but Tarkin was a rare and Tarkin Seeker was a common. The game didn't have all the overly complicated timing issues that Magic has, but I still don't think it was quite as noob friendly.

Very true. I know in bastard games you could Dark Side vs. Dark Side, but yeah. There were too many specific effect cards. Plus the Episode I series I got packs for $00.10 for is the silliest child's game I've ever played. But whatever.

I never dug LOTR:CCG either, but the cards are pretty. In fact, most CCGs based on some media property are not the greatest.

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Sep 24 2005 02:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

There's some weird Marvel game that uses cards and giant figurines. I have no idea how it works but it was fairly popular for awhile.
Tebor
PostPosted: Sep 25 2005 08:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
There's some weird Marvel game that uses cards and giant figurines. I have no idea how it works but it was fairly popular for awhile.

I just know I have the Hulk figure from that game. He's just cool by himself.

greeneyedzeke
PostPosted: Sep 26 2005 08:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I tried playing M:TG and the Star Wars TCG (not the original CCG, but the new one that came out with "Attack of the Clones"). I have a jillion cards for the latter game, but no one to actually play with. It's kind of sad.

I've also harbored some weird desire teo try "Warhammer 40k", but any time I get near one of those Games Workshops locations, I get geeked out (and that's a hard thing to do to me).
Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Oct 15 2005 04:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

Tebor wrote:
I just know I have the Hulk figure from that game. He's just cool by himself.

That would be Heroclix. A game I got in on and stayed around with for a while. Eventually I got tired of them and the playing group thinned out so I sold all my major pieces to a kid for 186 dollars (if I went for full price I'd have gotten 560 dollars, but who's going to pay that much for plastic figures?). Maybe Syd could use the Sentinel or Sinestro Construct pieces in his NES Drinking Saga. You could try using Galactus, but that piece is like 250 dollars or so.

Now to get a bit back on topic:

I got started with MtG back with 5th edition (I even recall some of the contents of my first booster pack: Kjeldoran Royal Guard, Svyulenite Temple, Barbed Sextant, Necrite, Hipparion, and Mountain Goat). I took a break from playing around the whole Invasion block, and then again after Judgement and joining back in during Scourge. One of my favorite decks (until it just stopped being fun) was "Deranged Stasis" using the combo of Deranged Hermit + Tradewind Rider + Opposition to create an army of 1/1 (or larger) Squirrel tokens that double as Icy Manipulators.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Darklire
Title: I get a Title?
PostPosted: Oct 16 2005 12:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I play MTG but I want to try and get people into COC. (no, not Cock)

View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
Reply to topic

Jump to: