SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
PHPBB 3

Reply to topic
GPFontaine
PostPosted: Dec 25 2007 11:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well, its about frigg'n time. The PHPBB Group has taken forever, but a gold release of PHPBB finally shipped out.

It looks nice, but I haven't run it yet. I'll most likely have a test copy running in a few days.

Syd, did you have any plans to upgrade?

Oh, this is a cool site for other web admins: http://www.forummatrix.org/index.php

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Dec 26 2007 06:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

I've been wanting to upgrade the forums for awhile now, but I am concerned my current template will be incompatible with it. I been wanting to upgrade the Wordpress blog for even longer, but I have held off for the same reason. I'd really like to make the blog look a little nicer too.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
GPFontaine
PostPosted: Dec 26 2007 10:29 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
I've been wanting to upgrade the forums for awhile now, but I am concerned my current template will be incompatible with it. I been wanting to upgrade the Wordpress blog for even longer, but I have held off for the same reason. I'd really like to make the blog look a little nicer too.
PHPBB3 uses a different template engine than PHPBB2. Moving your data over will be easy, however the style of it will need to be recreated.

Based on my past experience and seeing how you have your forum setup, I would guess it is about 5-8 hours worth of work to get it tweaked out the way you want it. But if you prepare for it, you can drastically cut down that time.

Some tips to make a conversion much easier:
- Write down all the color codes you use on your site. To me, it looks like:
---- Purple: #9966FF
---- Green: #00FF00
---- White: #FFFFFF
---- Gray: #333333
- Write down all the fonts you use on your site. To me it looks like:
---- Comic Sans MS
- Copy the Template images that were self created to your {root directory}/forumimages/ . To me, I saw:
---- http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/templates/fionefourocean/images/phpbb2_logo.gif
- Download the Style Sheet from the old template. Yours was located here:
---- http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/templates/fionefourocean/fionefourocean.css
- Backup the actual site content (All Folders and Files)
- Backup your MySQL Database
---- Here is one way to do it: http://www.phpbb.com/support/documentation/2.0/#section3_2_1
---- I gotta be honest, I would do a MYSQLDUMP, but you need to have SSH/Telnet Access to your server to do it.
-------- This is for another forum but it will work as long as you know your database name: http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/maintenance_ssh_backup

The CSS file is going to be a reference for building the new template. It should guide you as to what colors go where and other details.

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Dec 26 2007 10:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

As for WordPress,

Is your frontpage currently hard coded or do you use a posting system?

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Dec 26 2007 05:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

My front page is hard coded. Wordpress is only used for the "News" section.

I will probably upgrade Wordpress on my own at some point as I not interested in keeping the current template.

As the forums, they are working fine so I don't know if I want to upgrade them. I spent about twenty-thirty hours making my template and setting up everything the way I wanted it last time and I really don't want to repeat the experience. If I can find someone reasonable priced, I might pay someone to do it for me.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Dec 26 2007 06:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

what do you consider reasonable?

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Dec 26 2007 07:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

A six-pack and a pizza.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Dec 27 2007 12:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

I think I'm all set now, actually.
Reply to topic

Jump to: