"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
GI Joe 25th anniversary

Reply to topic
Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Oct 19 2007 12:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

So I was looking through the action figure section of a nearby store (getting some Christmas shopping done already) and I saw that Hasbro's re-released the 3-3/4" G.I.Joes, complete with what looks like the old package design. All they had were Snake Eyes (with a wolf) and Storm Shadow. Snake Eyes' weapons were reduced to just a katana, a dagger, and an uzi instead of the arsenal I think he had (with a cool backpack) back in the day.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Bouya
Title: Delinquent
PostPosted: Oct 19 2007 03:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Wave 3 has Shipwreck and Firefly, but apparently some scalper dickface raids the local stores every day, because I've yet to see any of the single figures anywhere around here.
Black Zarak
Title: Big Coffin Hunter
PostPosted: Oct 19 2007 04:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Distribution on these is really, really terrible, even for Hasbro, that's part of the reason they're scarce. They're not really reissues, they're new molds with double knee and elbow joints, mid-torso joints, ball joint necks, etc. I've been tempted to buy some, but I really can't branch out into a million different things to collect...

REVIEWS, LEGOS, NONSENSE Check out Zarak's Barracks!

"Let that be a lesson to you, your family and everyone you've ever known..."

"Thanks to denial, I'm immortal!"

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Oct 19 2007 10:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

My local K-mart has both the GI Joe and Cobra 5 packs, which are really cool, because they come with a plastic GI Joe logo that plays the theme song.

The biggest complaints that I have heard about the 25th figures, are that they changed the design to give them more articulation. (Wrists, ankles, and such.)
however, they are no-longer made with the O-Ring construction, as as a result, they have really bad movement at the waist and some figures cannot properly sit.
MOGHARR
Title: The Original CandyWafer
PostPosted: Oct 20 2007 09:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I think I saw a couple of these the other day. Didn't have enough money though. Plus I don't really have it in me to collect GI Joes anymore since my Great Grandma threw all mine out.

"Well I don`t judge most things by graphics, reality has amazing graphics, and I don`t like it, that`s why I play video games." Laminated Sky on Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger
Bouya
PostPosted: Nov 01 2007 04:36 am Reply with quote Back to top

I found about 20 singles today, but I just bought Firefly and Shipwreck.

The Shipwreck is dope, his left hand is molded into a fist, for knocking out Cobras. Surprised
Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Nov 01 2007 05:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

-bjork- wrote:
I found about 20 singles today, but I just bought Firefly and Shipwreck.

The Shipwreck is dope, his left hand is molded into a fist, for knocking out Cobras. Surprised

Shipwreck was always one of my favorites, maybe because he talked like Jack Nicholson and had a talking parrot.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Bouya
PostPosted: Nov 01 2007 05:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Er, right fist. I'm not sydlexic, really
Black Zarak
Title: Big Coffin Hunter
PostPosted: Nov 02 2007 11:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I bought the "Cobra Legion" 5 pack today and I'm largely impressed. It includes faceplate Cobra Commander repainted in black with silver and gold detailing, Storm Shadow in his Valor Vs. Venom deco, a Cobra Trooper, a Stinger Driver, and a jet pack Trooper.

Cobra Commander:

The commander is really nice looking in what I guess would be his "Parade" uniform, has a pistol modeled after the original's which can holster on his back and a removable helmet. The only thing that sucks about him is the fact that his left hand is permanently clenched in a fist. Good for shaking at Joes or making triumphant gestures, but can't hold a gun.

Cobra Troopers:
The Trooper, Stinger Driver and Jet Trooper are all the same mold, but have enough paint and (in the Jet Trooper's case) accessory differences to make them cool in their own way. They each have removable helmets (the Jet Trooper has two, a gas-mask deal for flying and also a regular infantry one), rifles, and combat knives that can be sheathed on their left thighs. The Jet Trooper also has a jet pack (dur) and what can only be a flamethrower as a hand weapon which attaches via hose to the fuel tanks. The best thing about him though is that if you have a certain Boba Fett figure, the Trooper's jetpack plugs into the column of flame that came with Boba. The result? Your Jet Trooper is now blasting off! Sweet. (Obviously I have said Fett.)

Storm Shadow:
Storm Shadow is really nice as well. Not a classic costume, but still a very nice one, I especially like the cobra logo draped across the front of his mask so the Cobra's hood runs down over his eyes. He comes with a bow, a long katana and a slightly shorter one, plus a small dagger that fits in his belt. His backpack has sheaths for his swords and a quiver of arrows. I haven't mentioned it in the other sections, but each figure sports about 16 points of articulation including double-jointed knees and elbows and ball-jointed necks. This is especially nifty for a ninja, since you can get some really cool poses out of him.

Logo, Packaging, Stands:
Included with set is a large plastic Cobra logo which plays two Cobra oriented clips of the opening theme from the movie (you know, "Cobra! COBRA! Cobra! COBRA!") The best thing about it however is the large on/off switch on the back. I hate sound effects that can't be toggled on and off, I usually just take out the batteries of anything with sounds effects. The packaging is absolutely beautiful, reflective silver cover with art of the Commander making an angry fist on the left, "Cobra Legion" and a Cobra logo on the right and the 25th anniversary logo towards the top. The flip-up panel has art for each of the included characters styled like the 80's card art and their names, below that is the actual bubble containing the figures. There are actually instructions printed on the bottom of the box telling you how to carefully cut free and remove each piece without damaging it so you could put it all back together again for display if you wanted. The figures are packed (from right to left) Storm Shadow, Cobra Trooper, cardboard Cobra banner on pole, Cobra Commander raised up higher than the others in front of the Cobra base piece, another cardboard banner, Stinger Driver, Jet Trooper. Behind the bubble is a cardboard insert showing legions of Red Ninjas, Crimson Guardsmen (led by Tomax and Zamot), Cobra Troopers, Stinger Drivers and Jet Troopers. Finally, the back and sides of the box are a collage of Cobra soldiers, vehicles and command personnel taken from the comics, card art and cartoon with a text blurb about Cobra in the middle. The figures also each come with a black stand featuring a sculpted Cobra logo in middle and the character's name printed in white on the front edge (almost exactly like the recent Star Wars stands.)

Overall, this is a very, very nice set for not a lot of money. There are a few minor annoyances, the troopers can't hold their rifles with both hands without looking a bit awkward because of their elbow joints, the Commander's hand is a little too loose to hold his pistol tight, etc. I'm still all for it though, it's worth the $25.

REVIEWS, LEGOS, NONSENSE Check out Zarak's Barracks!

"Let that be a lesson to you, your family and everyone you've ever known..."

"Thanks to denial, I'm immortal!"

Reply to topic

Jump to: