SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

  [Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Favorite Video Game Music


Reply to topic
Author Message
Cameron
Title: :O � O:
Joined: Feb 01 2008
Location: St. Louis, MO
PostPosted: Oct 29 2019 05:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top



Image
 
View user's profileSend private message
i'll_bite_your_ear
Title: Distillatoria
Joined: Jun 09 2010
Location: van down by the river
PostPosted: Oct 29 2019 10:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Tenchu, nice hearing from this PSX classic again.

But hey, how could i forgot this one, from a game many people did not play back then on the SNES.

To me, the Proto-"One Winged Angel". The final boss theme from Lufia 2 (gloriously remastered). Enjoy!

View user's profileSend private message
Preng
Title: All right, that's cool!
Joined: Jan 11 2010
Location: Accounting Dept.
PostPosted: Nov 11 2019 08:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

"Slammin' Sam Miller" is restoring the soundtrack for Donkey Kong Country 1-3.

Due to hardware limitations of the time, the SNES console's audio output was heavily compressed. His restoration efforts seek to recreate the songs without compression, and "This was made possible by locating the sounds from workstation keyboards and drum machines such as the Korg Wavestation, Roland S770, and Roland R8, and plugging them into the music instruction data ripped from the game, plus a little mixing magic to create might have sounded like with the veil of 16bit compression lifted."

Check out the playlist of completed tracks here. He hasn't restored them all yet, but rest assured Aquatic Ambiance, Fear Factory, and Stickerbrush Symphony are ready. He also offers FLAC and MP3 downloads.

This is a huge one-two punch of goodness to me. It satisfies a nostalgia craving I never knew I had, and it also resonates with my continued (if slow!) foray into learning to play the keyboard. On that latter note, I've set up my MIDI controller and digital audio workstation to be able to play the original (compressed) instruments from these games (and other SNES classics) - but knowing more about the original hardware is really intriguing!!


View user's profileSend private message
Preng
Title: All right, that's cool!
Joined: Jan 11 2010
Location: Accounting Dept.
PostPosted: Nov 11 2019 09:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Also, in the half hour since the above post, I've fallen down a rabbit hole in YouTube..may need one of you to check on me in a bit to ensure I make it out okay!
View user's profileSend private message
DarknessDeku
Title: Deku Scrub
Joined: Dec 08 2007
Location: The Forest
PostPosted: Nov 11 2019 10:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for posting those Preng. I will listen to them. I loved the Donkey Kong Country games as a kid.
View user's profileSend private message
i'll_bite_your_ear
Title: Distillatoria
Joined: Jun 09 2010
Location: van down by the river
PostPosted: Nov 12 2019 06:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Nice. Glad that you posted a DKC 3 track, most people ignore this one but the it has a great soundtrack.

I played some Garou - Mark of the Wolves today and the OST is pretty solid. Especially Grants Theme stuck with me.

View user's profileSend private message
i'll_bite_your_ear
Title: Distillatoria
Joined: Jun 09 2010
Location: van down by the river
PostPosted: Nov 24 2019 10:32 am Reply with quote Back to top

Since i've been playing an unhealthy amount of Pokemon Sword and Shield (yes i really mean BOTH editions), this is my favorite track so far (composed by the one and only Toby Fox).



it was the best of times
it was the blurst of times
 
View user's profileSend private message
i'll_bite_your_ear
Title: Distillatoria
Joined: Jun 09 2010
Location: van down by the river
PostPosted: Dec 27 2019 10:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hidden gems:

Terranigma (SNES)





Brave Fencer Musashi (PSX)



it was the best of times
it was the blurst of times
 
View user's profileSend private message
Preng
Title: All right, that's cool!
Joined: Jan 11 2010
Location: Accounting Dept.
PostPosted: Apr 16 2020 07:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cameron wrote:
Cameron wrote:
Vert1 wrote:

I had to Google this to make sure it wasn't a joke or something. I have no idea why this is in a Flintstones game but this is delightful! I just looked up the rest of the soundtrack and it's like if Aphex Twin made an SNES game.

This is still a jam.

Please see attached 2020 annual renewal.
View user's profileSend private message
LeshLush
Joined: Oct 19 2009
Location: Nashville, TN
PostPosted: Apr 19 2020 04:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Damn. This some good shit, Pring.

Preng wrote:
"Slammin' Sam Miller" is restoring the soundtrack for Donkey Kong Country 1-3.

Due to hardware limitations of the time, the SNES console's audio output was heavily compressed. His restoration efforts seek to recreate the songs without compression, and "This was made possible by locating the sounds from workstation keyboards and drum machines such as the Korg Wavestation, Roland S770, and Roland R8, and plugging them into the music instruction data ripped from the game, plus a little mixing magic to create might have sounded like with the veil of 16bit compression lifted."

Check out the playlist of completed tracks here. He hasn't restored them all yet, but rest assured Aquatic Ambiance, Fear Factory, and Stickerbrush Symphony are ready. He also offers FLAC and MP3 downloads.

This is a huge one-two punch of goodness to me. It satisfies a nostalgia craving I never knew I had, and it also resonates with my continued (if slow!) foray into learning to play the keyboard. On that latter note, I've set up my MIDI controller and digital audio workstation to be able to play the original (compressed) instruments from these games (and other SNES classics) - but knowing more about the original hardware is really intriguing!!


View user's profileSend private message
i'll_bite_your_ear
Title: Distillatoria
Joined: Jun 09 2010
Location: van down by the river
PostPosted: Dec 10 2020 07:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

Nobody played "Tangle Tower", wich is sad.
The great soundtrack is just one reason why.



it was the best of times
it was the blurst of times
 
View user's profileSend private message
LeshLush
Joined: Oct 19 2009
Location: Nashville, TN
PostPosted: Dec 10 2020 10:41 am Reply with quote Back to top

Preng wrote:
Also, in the half hour since the above post, I've fallen down a rabbit hole in YouTube..may need one of you to check on me in a bit to ensure I make it out okay!


Hahaha, this is fucking gold.
View user's profileSend private message
Preng
Title: All right, that's cool!
Joined: Jan 11 2010
Location: Accounting Dept.
PostPosted: Oct 02 2021 09:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

Stumbled upon Andrew Thompson, a musician/composer who, among writing/producing a pretty slammin' Latin album, has created some excellent orchestral covers of video game classics.





This cover of Mario Paint's Gnat Attack minigame is especially cool!

View user's profileSend private message
SoldierHawk
Moderator
Title: Warrior-Poet
Joined: Jan 15 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
PostPosted: Oct 05 2021 04:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Oh man. What a great find. Those a beautiful.


militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

 
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website
Preng
Title: All right, that's cool!
Joined: Jan 11 2010
Location: Accounting Dept.
PostPosted: Apr 04 2022 09:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Fell down a rabbit hole, and found this interesting list of audio samples used by Earthbound.

This one especially, wow! Instant goosebumps, then laughter.
View user's profileSend private message
Cameron
Title: :O � O:
Joined: Feb 01 2008
Location: St. Louis, MO
PostPosted: Apr 19 2022 07:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Preng wrote:
Fell down a rabbit hole, and found this interesting list of audio samples used by Earthbound.

This one especially, wow! Instant goosebumps, then laughter.

Wow, this is a cool list! Thanks for finding this. I always thought that sounded like the Little Rascals! Also impressive that they could take a two-second Beatles sample, loop it and make it sound incredibly creepy in-context (with "The Cliff That Time Forgot"). I'd also argue that the NES version of that song makes the Chuck Berry influence even more apparent.


Image
 
View user's profileSend private message
Preng
Title: All right, that's cool!
Joined: Jan 11 2010
Location: Accounting Dept.
PostPosted: Apr 20 2022 11:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cameron wrote:
Preng wrote:
Fell down a rabbit hole, and found this interesting list of audio samples used by Earthbound.

This one especially, wow! Instant goosebumps, then laughter.

Wow, this is a cool list! Thanks for finding this. I always thought that sounded like the Little Rascals! Also impressive that they could take a two-second Beatles sample, loop it and make it sound incredibly creepy in-context (with "The Cliff That Time Forgot"). I'd also argue that the NES version of that song makes the Chuck Berry influence even more apparent.

Agreed, I had been previously aware of some of these, especially the Chuck Berry one, but this list had a few surprises (I'm still chuckling about the Beach Boys being morphed into the final dungeon music, also reappearing in Undertale's "Amalgam" track).

"Laughin' in the Dark" is also such a banger, probably my favorite random, tangible takeaway from the whole Moonside experience.

While not audio-related, here's another intriguing rabbit hole for ya - I'm not typically deeply interested in translation nuances, but considering Shigesato Itoi's significant presence for all written elements, it's a worthy exception.
View user's profileSend private message
jprime
Title: Ex-GameWinners
Joined: Jan 27 2008
Location: Southern Ontario
PostPosted: Apr 21 2022 02:45 am Reply with quote Back to top

Preng wrote:
(I'm still chuckling about the Beach Boys being morphed into the final dungeon music, also reappearing in Undertale's "Amalgam" track).


They made the third-worst video of 1988.
View user's profileSend private message
Preng
Title: All right, that's cool!
Joined: Jan 11 2010
Location: Accounting Dept.
PostPosted: Jun 07 2022 09:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

A wicked retooling of Mega Man X's soundtrack using the Sega Genesis sound chip.
View user's profileSend private message
Crazy_Bastard
Title: CeeBee
Joined: Feb 25 2007
Location: Tulsa
PostPosted: Jul 26 2022 11:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've really, really been enjoying video game soundtracks while working lately. Anything from the Elder Scrolls, Monument Valley 2, FEZ, Starbound, Mirrors Edge, and DustForce have been my favorites.

I'm not sure how embeds work here these days, so I'm just posting some links below and hope they work!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbqxazYJp_U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXfos-mAMMA&list=LL&index=66&t=3015s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aDWVDuRCiA&list=LL&index=60&t=1441s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIAe9chD88I&list=LL&index=162&t=672s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiCV8J8Irwk&list=LL&index=163
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_B8ekeZTCM
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail
Display posts from previous:      
Reply to topic

 
 Jump to: