SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
The History Channel Commemorates the Korean War....

Reply to topic
anorexorcist
Title: Polar Bear
PostPosted: Jul 27 2013 11:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

...by playing a M*A*S*H marathon. Am I the only one that thinks that is a little fucked up? They had commercials advertising that all day long they were going to commemorate the Korean War and showed interviews with soldiers mentioning how it was the forgotten war and no one cared when they returned. Then, instead of showing any documentaries showing these men telling their stories so we don't forget, the just show MASH all day. I understand it is set during the Korean War, but veterans have of the war have had negative things to say about the often cheerful/joking way that show portrayed the atmosphere of the surgical tents.

Lawyers, Guns and Money

Jack Slater
Title: Friendly Felon
PostPosted: Jul 28 2013 12:42 am Reply with quote Back to top

You're like the only one who gives a fuck, sorry bro.

Besides, since when did the history channel show anything even close to actual history?

Cause that's how I roll bounce.

anorexorcist
PostPosted: Jul 28 2013 02:31 am Reply with quote Back to top

EDIT: I was drunk when responding to that and read it in the wrong light. I apologize for the over reaction, I said a number of things that were not warranted.

Lawyers, Guns and Money

@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Jul 28 2013 03:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

First off, I would like to state that my grandfather fought in both WWII and Korea. He was one of the many who stormed the beaches on D-Day and then years later signed up again to go to Korea. I am not one to forget such sacrifices. It's also worth noting that there is a beautiful memorial in DC, across the reflecting pool from the Vietnam memorial that is worth a look if you are ever in the Capitol and want to pay your respects.

As far as the History channel thing goes...

I am not surprised. It does seem fucked up the way you describe it, like they were alluding to some sort of documentary that would air. It was nice when some cable channels didn't give a damn about ratings and had more of a focus on some sort of directive to educate on a specific subject, such as the old History, Learning and Discovery channels. Now all of those channels are obsessed with ratings and you rarely find anything educational on TV, just the rare needle in a haystack of ridiculous drama.

Personally, I have the internet and books/magazines to make up for that. Added benefit: they are usually far more informative and immersive than a documentary. Most worthwhile documentaries can be found on DVD or online anyways.

Jack Slater
Title: Friendly Felon
PostPosted: Jul 28 2013 04:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

To clarify, I have great respect for all veterans. I'm sorry if that came across as me not giving a fuck about the Korean War vets, not my intention. I was strictly referring to the programming you were mentioning, as in who cares if they didn't do what they said they were going to. I mean, it's a tv channel that does shows about Hitler and aliens primarily, from what I recall.

I personally despise war, and have much love for anyone who found their way in it and had to go through that. I'm thankful that I never had to myself. Again, many apologies if I came across in a way different from that.

Cause that's how I roll bounce.

anorexorcist
PostPosted: Jul 28 2013 05:06 am Reply with quote Back to top

I see your point and am sorry for going of the handle like that. It's sad how the History channel has fallen, even 6-8 years ago it still had quite relevant historical programming, but I really shouldn't be surprised based on what they've been showing the last couple of years. Ancient Aliens, some Logging shows filmed in present day, and the myriad of '2012 is the world ending?' shows that have only recently been shown less.

Lawyers, Guns and Money

Cattivo
PostPosted: Jul 29 2013 12:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That's fucked up, but that's the History Channel for you. When I started grad school for history back in 2006 my professors and peers were already making fun of the channel as the Hitler & WW2 channel, and denigrated anyone who watched it as trying to relive past American glories. The channel has only gotten worse since then with the reality program crap. Occasional stuff on WW2 & Hitler can be good, but they go overboard. At least they show some Roman Empire stuff sometimes.
Reply to topic

Jump to: