SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Ridiculously Awesome DVD Boxed Sets

Reply to topic
greeneyedzeke
PostPosted: Mar 27 2006 11:07 am Reply with quote Back to top

This thread is inspired by the "Superman 14-disc box set" topic from a few days ago. Basically, I wanted to take a look at some really freaking incredible DVD box sets and ask anyone who knows of cool ones I'm missing to jump in and share with the group.

*Note: These are NOT plane jane sets in normal, easily-digestible packaging. These are "uber-geeky" sets that cost way more than they probably should. You're been warned.

First, let's start with a TV show. "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" has a devoted following and, over the years, all of the seasons have shown up on DVD. Well, late last year Joss Whedon apparently needed to buy a new car or something, because he released...

The "Complete Series" box set. All the stuff people already had, plus a bonus disc and a letter. Retail value $199.99, though you can grab it at a lot of stores for about twenty bucks less.

Next up, let's take a look at one that comes out tomorrow. Simian (and/or Charlton Heston) fans rejoice, for Fox is giving us...

Planet of the Apes, the Ultimate Edition Collection, WITH APE HEAD PACKAGING.

Yeah. FOURTEEN DISCS. Every "Apes" movie (INCLUDING the Burton one), the TV series, and a shitload of supplementals. And it's all encapsulated in an authentic ape head with real fur. List price: $179.99.

Now for two from overseas. First, while it's hard to say that we got "shafted" by the awesome Alien Quadrilogy boxed set from two years ago, Fox gave Japan the exact same collection, but in a package that looked like this...

Imagine THAT on your bookshelf.

However, I'm saving the best for last. Godzilla junkies, check it out.

Every. Single. Godzilla. Movie. Ever. Thirty discs. And, since this set came out prior to the relase of "Godzilla: Final Wars", they included a space in the package for it.

And it comes with Godzilla's head.

The cheapest I've seen it listed for is $800 USD. Eight. Hundred. Dollars.

And, with that, I'm out. Feel free to add to the list.
DarkMaze
PostPosted: Mar 27 2006 11:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'd kill for the Godzilla set.

Kill, but not pay $800. I mean, geez, I'm not crazy.

I actually do own every Godzilla movie, but 90% of them are still on video. Actually, that may not be entirely true -- I think I'm missing one of the ones prior to Final Wars. Incidentally, Final Wars is the greatest movie EVER. I don't think I've ever had so much fun watching a movie.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Mar 27 2006 05:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm rather partial to the Nightmare on Elm Street box set, complete with 3D glasses and the Nightmare Encyclopedia, a barely navigable DVD filled with extras. The Fat Boys' "Get Ready For Freddy" music video alone is worth the price of the set.

And while it's not a true box set, I saw a special edition of the The Wicker Man in a cool wooden box.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Mar 27 2006 06:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
I'm rather partial to the Nightmare on Elm Street box set, complete with 3D glasses and the Nightmare Encyclopedia, a barely navigable DVD filled with extras. The Fat Boys' "Get Ready For Freddy" music video alone is worth the price of the set.

And while it's not a true box set, I saw a special edition of the The Wicker Man in a cool wooden box.

Oddly, I have that Wicker Man set Shocked

But I wish I had that Godzilla set. I also wish I could navigate the Freddy labyrinth... Crying

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

greeneyedzeke
PostPosted: Mar 27 2006 07:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I got the NOES set back in college and spent many a drunken night navigating that damn maze. My favorite part of the whole box was the "Nightmare Encyclopedia" disk. The interviews and especially the trailers were awesome. Those were the days when trailers still evoked a really cool mood.

Similarly, I'm partial to the Fth13th set that paramount put out. As far as these things go, it was pretty meager and they shoved two films on a disc, but hey. It was nice to get everything in one package.

In the spirit of the crazier ones posted above, I'd LOVE to see a Ft13th set that somehow came in a hockey mask or a or bust of Jason or something... and maybe a glove-based one for Freddy (or, hell, really do it up and make the box look like THE HOUSE.. holy shit). New Line, if they could nab the rights, could have a field day with NOES. They could put all the movies, remastered, the "Freddy's Nightmares" TV show, and some of the old commercials for various Freddy toys and the 900 line. Obviously they'd have to include the trailers/interviews/whathaveyou and the music videos. Hell, I think they should include the "Elm Street Group" cover CD that came out, too. I mean, really go balls out on it.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Mar 27 2006 08:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I would really really like to see a comprehensive Naked Gun box set that also includes the Police Squad, some good extras, and some creative packaging.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Reply to topic

Jump to: