[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
WWE: It's An Action Soap Opera

Reply to topic
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Apr 13 2011 07:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

http://www.lordsofpain.net/news/wwe/Official_List_of_Banned_WWE_Terms_Sent_Out_to_International_Voice-Over_Workers.html

Quote:
WWE has an information sheet titled "The Language of WWE" that they send out to people that do international voice-overs for their TV shows in other countries. The sheet includes a list of "Incorrect Terminology" and a list of "Correct Terminology."

"The Language of WWE" reads like this:

"World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) is a publicly traded entertainment company (NYSE: WWE) that creates and delivers a weekly action soap opera to its passionate fans.

WWE has been a recognized leader in entertainment for more than 25 years and has developed into one of the most popular and sophisticated forms of global entertainment today.

As a global entertainment brand, the language that we use when communicating on WWE is critical.

Please ensure that you are familiar and employing the below, effective immediately. "

Here's a look at some of the terms:

* "Wrestling" or "catch" is banned. Some European countries still use the term "catch" to describe pro wrestling and "catchers" to describe wrestlers. "The Language of WWE" states that the following phrases are incorrect: "Wrestling is broadcast in 145 countries," or "Catch is broadcast in 145 countries." The correct terminology is: "WWE is broadcast in 145 countries."

* "Sports" is incorrect. "Entertainment or Action Soap Opera" is allowed. For example, "WWE is exciting entertainment" or "WWE is an exciting action soap opera" is allowed. In the last example, "action soap opera" is printed in bold, presumably to make sure there's no confusion.

* "Catchers" or "wrestlers" are not allowed. Incorrect examples are "Catchers are unique characters" or "Wrestlers are unique characters." The term "WWE Superstars" is allowed.

* "Athletes" or "Sportsmen" are not allowed either. WWE gives the following example to use: "WWE Superstars are entertainers with tremendous athletic prowess."

* The term "fight" is not allowed. Matches must be referred to as "match" or "bout."

* "Fighting" is also not allowed but the term "action" is.

"The Language of WWE" printout concludes with the following "Key Soundbytes":

* WWE is pure entertainment

* WWE is an action soap opera

* WWE Superstars are entertainers with tremendous athletic prowess

Vince McMahon is a stupid C-U-Next Tuesday.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
lavalarva
2011 SNES Champ
PostPosted: Apr 13 2011 07:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well, it's not exactly false, but I'd expect it to be used as a derogatory term and not by the WWE itself...

And I don't really understand what's the point of not saying "Wrestlers" or whatever. We already know it's scripted and not a real sport competition. Confused
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Apr 13 2011 07:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The rebranding is largely believed to be due to legal issues. As a sport, WWE is subject to federal regulation in the United States. As an entertainment program, it is not.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
JRA
PostPosted: Apr 13 2011 07:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I would buy the next 10 UFC pay-per views in a row out of pure spite if I didn't fall asleep when I watched Lesnar vs. Carwin

There are a lot of what if's in life Donny. What if I hit you really hard in the face, knocked yo shit to the back of yo skull? What if I....had you girl gargle my nuts? The fact remains, you are a fuckin mutant.

phantasmzombie
PostPosted: Apr 14 2011 03:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

JRA wrote:
I would buy the next 10 UFC pay-per views in a row out of pure spite if I didn't fall asleep when I watched Lesnar vs. Carwin

Seriously? That was a exciting fight!
Reply to topic

Jump to: