"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
GLAAD and the WWE

Reply to topic
Optimist With Doubts
Title: Titlating
PostPosted: Mar 19 2011 02:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

http://glaadblog.org/2011/03/17/wwe-to-partner-with-glaad-on-anti-bullying-messages/

The gist of this is that John Cenas recent promos painting Rock as gay and implying that was bad offended people in the gay community. Now Glaad and the wwe are working together to raise awareness on bullying.

This might be seen as an overreaction but the mission statement of
Quote:
making it clear that bullying someone with homophobic taunts or for their perceived sexual orientation is wrong
isn't one I find problematic.

However what do you folks think?

Sehkmaenzo
PostPosted: Mar 19 2011 09:12 am Reply with quote Back to top

Funny... One would think that WWE would be wiser than that.
I mean, when it comes down to it, it is a show about ripped man fighting shirtless Razz
Seriously though, this is a great step in the right direction in more ways than one. The message is solid, of course, but who's sending it means a lot too. WWE is appreciated world wide, and the fact they took the time to right a wrong all on itself is amazing.
JRA
PostPosted: Mar 19 2011 12:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Oh for fuck's sake.

Rock may not be down with the strudle, but he sure does like sticking stuff up candy asses.

There are a lot of what if's in life Donny. What if I hit you really hard in the face, knocked yo shit to the back of yo skull? What if I....had you girl gargle my nuts? The fact remains, you are a fuckin mutant.

Jack Slater
Title: Friendly Felon
PostPosted: Mar 19 2011 02:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

So are they gonna retcon Goldust, et al. then?

Cause that's how I roll bounce.

JRA
PostPosted: Mar 19 2011 06:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Jack Slater wrote:
So are they gonna retcon Goldust, et al. then?

or Adrian Adonis. Not.

There are a lot of what if's in life Donny. What if I hit you really hard in the face, knocked yo shit to the back of yo skull? What if I....had you girl gargle my nuts? The fact remains, you are a fuckin mutant.

Doddsino
PostPosted: Mar 21 2011 02:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

Goldust was never gay...although he had the mind games and all that, he was never a negative stereotype despite being a great heel. GLAAD was actually proud of WWE at one point when Billy Gunn and Chuck Palumbo were going to have an on air wedding, only for their hairstylist Rico (who would become gay) to betray them.

Yeah, Cena's comments are...odd. I'm usually one to not really bother with them, but it is usually either poop or gay slurs. What I find funny is that Cena calls Rock gay, yet then Cena turns around and says he wants to give Rock a pearl necklace.
Jack Slater
PostPosted: Mar 21 2011 02:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

Doddsino wrote:
Goldust was never gay...although he had the mind games and all that, he was never a negative stereotype despite being a great heel.

Oh come off it man, the guy was a stereotypical nutty flamer, Buffalo Bill drag and all. I'm not saying Goldust was gay either, but he sure as hell acted like it. Or at least like the stereotype of the insane poofter.

Just saying, GLAAD ought to be pissed about that one too to be consistent.

Doddsino
PostPosted: Mar 21 2011 04:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

Again, it's the mind games...there's a difference. If you look at it from my standpoint, Goldust wasn't a negative character because he used other people's homophobia against them, which makes them look like assholes...not him.
Optimist With Doubts
Title: Titlating
PostPosted: Mar 21 2011 09:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

I mean golddust has really always been played as weird and uncomfortable. Not because he's a gay character but because he's weird and uncomfortable. Although I believe in the past they have complained about the over the top parts of goldust I just can't find it due to everyone reporting on the anti bullying campaign. I know they have complained about Lenny and lodi in the WCW before and wcw dropped the characters so this is not a random happening.

Jack Slater
PostPosted: Mar 21 2011 08:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Doddsino wrote:
Again, it's the mind games...there's a difference. If you look at it from my standpoint, Goldust wasn't a negative character because he used other people's homophobia against them, which makes them look like assholes...not him.

I dunno if that works if the audience is just as creeped out as the other wrestler.

Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: Mar 21 2011 10:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Doddsino wrote:
What I find funny is that Cena calls Rock gay, yet then Cena turns around and says he wants to give Rock a pearl necklace.

I thought that was part of the joke. How that is a recurring theme in virtually every dis hip-hop ever made.

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

Doddsino
PostPosted: Mar 21 2011 11:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah...and it's stupid.
JRA
PostPosted: Mar 22 2011 12:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

Doddsino wrote:
What I find funny is that Cena calls Rock gay, yet then Cena turns around and says he wants to give Rock a pearl necklace.

Laminated Sky
Title: Extra Crispy
PostPosted: Mar 22 2011 01:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cena called Rock "a fairy with a tooth". But what about DX and how much they said Vince loved cock. Wasn't that more inapropriate? I remember The Spirit Squad and how Triple H said:" Why don't you guys go backstage and pump each other with spirit?" wasn''t that more inapropiate? Does Triple H get special treatment?

I think what Triple H said should have been more offensive. "a fairy with a tooth"? come on that is at least PG13. All I'm saying is there were worse things that have been said on WWE. Cena doesn't even have the F-U it's the AA. The show is supose to be child friendly so I guess people have a right to be pissed off.

I'm so bananas I'm showing up to your open casket,
to fill it up with explosive gases,
and close it back,
with a lit match in it,
while I sit back, and just hope it catches.

Blow you to fragments,
laugh,
roll you, and smoke the ashes.

http://history.sydlexia.com/index.php?title=Laminated_Sky

Signature subject to change without notice.

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
aeonic
Title: Sporadic Poster
PostPosted: Mar 22 2011 02:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

At best, it could really be said that the WWE has a mixed record on homosexuality. I mean, Pat Patterson's always been in good with Vince, and there've been plenty of others (Jim Barnett, Kanyon, Orlando Jordan etc) that've been bisexual or outright gay who worked for WWE, but considering the usual target demographic (teen to middle aged males, arguably heterosexual ones with the vast amount of T&A shown on the programs, even if it's just relatively tame stuff), it's not surprising that this would start up, or that there'd be a backlash and subsequent apology/reparation situation. I can see this happening, dying down after it's no longer an issue, and springing up again in a couple of years.

Who likes role-playing games? Me. Way too goddamn much.

Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: Mar 22 2011 03:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm pretty sure the comment they are referring to was Cena's, "Don't go racing to Witch Mountain, Rock, cuz your mountain's Brokeback.

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

aeonic
Title: Sporadic Poster
PostPosted: Mar 22 2011 03:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Valdronius wrote:
I'm pretty sure the comment they are referring to was Cena's, "Don't go racing to Witch Mountain, Rock, cuz your mountain's Brokeback.

Christ, even though it's topical, it's still not funny. Why does everyone think Cena's such a great mic guy? He delivers lines like he delivers the FU (or whatever it is now): sloppily at best.

Who likes role-playing games? Me. Way too goddamn much.

Laminated Sky
Title: Extra Crispy
PostPosted: Mar 22 2011 04:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Valdronius wrote:
That was almost funny, but do children even get that joke? I guess his joke was still implying The Rock is gay, but I still say Triple H said a lot worse homophobic things still.

At least Cena didn't call him the Scorpion Queen.

I'm so bananas I'm showing up to your open casket,
to fill it up with explosive gases,
and close it back,
with a lit match in it,
while I sit back, and just hope it catches.

Blow you to fragments,
laugh,
roll you, and smoke the ashes.

http://history.sydlexia.com/index.php?title=Laminated_Sky

Signature subject to change without notice.

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
Reply to topic

Jump to: