SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Need help IDing wind-up toy game series.

Reply to topic
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Nov 15 2010 01:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

So my brother and I used to have these little wind-up toy games. They were self-contained cubes. You'd wind-up the game, and try to complete a certain task before the wind ran down.

Mine had a yellow base, and the goal was to shoot 8 balls (2 red, 2 yellow, 2 green, 2 blue) into the arms of a swinging monkey who would then drop them in a bin.

My brother's had a blue base, and you had to get the 8 balls into the passenger seats of 4 white spaceships and they spun around. The game also suggested an advanced challenge, where you could try and pair the balls of the same color in the passenger seats of the spaceships.

There were at least 2 other toys made in the line, one with a green base and one with a red base. I remember one of them was a video game license, but I can't remember what. I think it was either Pac-Man or Donkey Kong. They were manufactured sometime before 1989. I wanna say probably in the 1985-1988 range, but they could be older than that.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Nov 15 2010 01:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm assuming you don't have them anymore? Do you remember any brand names or any words anywhere on them?

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Nov 15 2010 01:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

No. If I had information that was specific enough to yield helpful Google results, I wouldn't be asking.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Blackout
PostPosted: Nov 15 2010 02:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well I've been image searching monkey balls for the last twenty minutes, I'll let you know if I find something that is not Sega or genital related. Confused

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Nov 15 2010 02:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Unless you're really that bored, that's not necessary. I've tried Google and had no luck. I'm hoping maybe someone else had them and remembers what they we called.

I don't know if it helps, but the balls were supposed to be coconuts in the monkey game.
Blackout
PostPosted: Nov 15 2010 02:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well I was just kidding, but have you checked ruby lane? That's where I found some info on the Casey The Talking Robot I was trying to track down once.

Beach Bum
PostPosted: Dec 08 2010 06:55 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hey Syd, I've been lurking for a while but this topic made me recall some toys I had and I think I might know what you are looking for.

http://www.planetbuilders.co.uk/ian/pocketeers/index.html

The part I'm looking at that seems like it might be what you want is this:

"Tomy also made some which are like cubes, you wind them up and flick plastic balls at different moving parts,
for example Monkey in Tree, Helicopter, Duckshoot etc."

Unfortunately I've been unable to actually locate pictures and most of the ones on that site aren't working for me. Plus it seems that he doesn't actually have any pictures of those particular ones.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Dec 08 2010 07:28 am Reply with quote Back to top

Well at least now I know I didn't just imagine them. He has the same problem as me though, he doesn't know the line name. Those definitely weren't part of the Pocketeers line, as they didn't fit in your pocket.
Beach Bum
PostPosted: Dec 08 2010 07:45 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah I just remembered the company name and Googled it. I never had those exact toys I had some of the maze ones and I figured maybe they made them. Like you said at least you didn't imagine them though. I'll keep looking because I'm having a serious bout of insomnia right now, even though I desperately need sleep for a presentation in a couple hours.

Edit: Just found it! The name of the line is Starcades/Skill Squares.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Dec 08 2010 08:42 am Reply with quote Back to top

YES!

That blue rocket ship one is what my brother had.

THANK YOU!
Beach Bum
PostPosted: Dec 08 2010 08:46 am Reply with quote Back to top

No problem at all. I needed something to do while I couldn't sleep. Very Happy
Reply to topic

Jump to: