"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Fire Emblem

Reply to topic
SamanthaMcPoopenstein
Title: Gadabout Ragamuffin
PostPosted: Mar 11 2006 12:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

I wish this series had been released outside of Japan sooner so I could've grown up with it. I'd never played any strategy games before when I picked up the first FE for GBA and I loved it right from the start. The first one still remains the best of them all to me.

The FE games are a good ol' fashioned revival of brain exploding difficulty that is getting rarer and rarer, thank you hard mode. I love trying to get all the characters and supports (hell, I've never been able to get more than 50% of the supports in any of them), as well as trying to get treasures and extra levels.

The real reason I bring this up is because of Path of Radiance. I beat it not too long ago, and it is one of the best games I have played lately, not to mention in my entire life. There were a handful of parts I was disapointed with, but overall, PoR was so awesome the bad things were easy to forget about.
(the horses' front legs bend backwards! How did the game designers miss that?)

Something kind of small that came as a nice little surprise to me, was the weapons maker. I had an abnormal amount of fun making neon pink javelins and giving them juvenille names. (Damn you, 12 character limit!)

The best thing about these games is that it seems like you can never do everything the first time around, so the replay value is always great.
Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Mar 11 2006 03:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

I have never heard of Fire Emblem, because I live under a rock. =(

But I have heard of this "RPG" genre. In my experience, I play an RPG once and never complete it again. I'll start over, but I'll never beat it again. I think this is true for every RPG I've ever played... except maybe 'Phantasy Star IV', which the two completion times were decades apart.

I'm a little "dumb" when it comes to video games, so the only games I end up playing all the way through again or either short or button mashers. Except for the MGS games which I play again just to study story structure. Sadly, I try to emulate my screenwriting with MGS... which I'm sure everyone will say is wrong, but I think the mixture of action and story are the best.

In conclusion, I'm sorry this response had nothing to do with Fire Emblem. I await to be modded. Sad

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Murdar Machene
Title: bimmy
PostPosted: Mar 11 2006 06:22 am Reply with quote Back to top

SamanthaMcPoopenstein wrote:

Something kind of small that came as a nice little surprise to me, was the weapons maker. I had an abnormal amount of fun making neon pink javelins and giving them juvenille names. (Damn you, 12 character limit!)

That alone sounds like a good enough reason to warrant playing the game.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Mar 11 2006 06:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have the Gamecube one, I got it for Christmas. I haven't played it much yet, but I've enjoyed it so far. And Roy is easily one of my favorite characters in Super Smash Brothers Melee.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: Mar 11 2006 06:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

All I really play are RPG's, Sims, and Strategies. (Action/RPG's are ok too).
I think the special features and side quests are what make or break an RPG. FF8 had a really good storyline, and likable characters, but the card game the was the main mini-game was terrible. FF7, while possibly having an equally good storyline, was far superior because you had three really fun mini-games, and the Weapon sidequests were really hard, but do-able.

The Breath of Fire series has a good thing going with building and managing a little town of your own, that can help you get certain items to help you out. I'm currently playing BoF: Dragon Quarter for PS2. The town bit is fun, but the game introduces a "Scenario Overlay" feature, where basically you have to play the game through multiple times to see all of the story. It's a little awkward and doesn't work for me.

I guess I feel better when I have to invest hours of my life into a game, as opposed to one sitting. Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, Chrono Trigger, Orge Battle: March of the Black Queen and FF6 remain among my all-time favorite games.

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

Reply to topic

Jump to: