SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Talisman

Reply to topic
srheajr
PostPosted: Jun 23 2010 07:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Anyone here play Talisman? I had an older friend who I used to play the game with when I was a younger, I am not sure which version it was, but thoroughly enjoyed the game then. Bought the game a few months ago, the revised 4th edition and picked up three expansions (Dungeon, Reaper and Frostmarch) and I still love it. Have a group of 6 friends that we all get together and play the game when we have time. Anyone here play the game or anything like it?
Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Jun 24 2010 10:28 am Reply with quote Back to top

I had the 2nd edition many years age.

Now I have the Iron Mountain 4th, the Fantasy Flight update kit, and the Frostmarch Expansion for it.

It's a great game, but it has 2 major flaws:

1. It takes too long. My gaming group discovered that the avverage play time is 1 hour for each person playing. So in my group of 4 people = 4 hours to play.

2. It's way to random. Almost every aspect of the game is based on chance. There really isn't a whole lot of strategy or skill involved. The game is basically: Draw a random card and roll the dice.

I love the setting and artwork though.

You want a great game to play with a group that's easy to learn, quick to play, requires strategy, and is funny as hell? Get "Munchkin" from Steve Jackson Games.
Rycona
Title: The Maestro
PostPosted: Jun 24 2010 11:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

I've played it a few times years ago. It was pretty fun, but like Knyte said, there's not a ton of strategy involved. It's a bit more exciting when you put some money on the line though...

RIP Hacker.

srheajr
PostPosted: Jun 24 2010 12:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Knyte wrote:
I had the 2nd edition many years age.

Now I have the Iron Mountain 4th, the Fantasy Flight update kit, and the Frostmarch Expansion for it.

It's a great game, but it has 2 major flaws:

1. It takes too long. My gaming group discovered that the avverage play time is 1 hour for each person playing. So in my group of 4 people = 4 hours to play.

2. It's way to random. Almost every aspect of the game is based on chance. There really isn't a whole lot of strategy or skill involved. The game is basically: Draw a random card and roll the dice.

I love the setting and artwork though.

You want a great game to play with a group that's easy to learn, quick to play, requires strategy, and is funny as hell? Get "Munchkin" from Steve Jackson Games.

Yea, honestly one of the things I do like about Talisman although some people look at as a downfall is the randomness. My group of friends really don't mind, we just laugh when something crazy happens when you've been winning the entire game but all the sudden you die. Also, I like it because it's fairly easy and my wife can play without much difficulty. I will have to check out the Munchkin game, because I would also like a more strategic and less random game occasionally.
Reply to topic

Jump to: