"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Progressive music anyone?

Reply to topic
Rycona
Title: The Maestro
PostPosted: Nov 01 2005 03:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Does any here like progressive music, rock and metal forms inclusive? I tend to like things with complexity and depth, hence my love for this type of music. Bands like Yes (pre-mid-80's), Genesis (Pre-Hackett's departure), Gentle Giant, King Crimson, Kansas, Frank Zappa, and a bunch of others. For harder prog music you can hear Rush, Dreamtheater, or Stradivarius. I was wondering if anyone has heard/listened to any and what their thoughts are about it.

If you'd like to hear some because it sounds interesting, you can listen to some MP3s at http://www.progarchives.com and check band bios, discographies, and whatnot.

RIP Hacker.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Nov 01 2005 04:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Prog Rock? Let's see, I'm a big fan of Rush and Dream Theater. Tool and Queesnryche have some progressive influences too and I absolutely love them.

I'm not well versed in King Crimson, but I bought their greatest hits album after hearing "In The Court of the Crimson King" late one night on a local classic rock station. I also bought In The Court of the Crimson King on vinyl at a yard sale.

I never really got into Yes. Growing up in the 80s, "Owner of a Lonely Heart" was the first Yes song I ever heard. It was a huge hit for them, but I don't find it aesthetically pleasing. For whatever reason, "Roundabout" also rubs me the wrong way.

I'm not super into Genesis either, but The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway is a fantastic album and "Land of Confusion" will forever be one of my favorite videos because it had puppets.

I haven't heard any Gentle Giant. My uncle is always trying to convince me that they're awesome, but bands worth words like "modest" and "gentle" in their names tend turn me off just on principle.

And of course, both Frank Zappa & The Mothers of Invention and Kansas are great, even if the latter one's "Dust in the Wind" is currently being used in a car commercial.

What about Pink Floyd?
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Rycona
PostPosted: Nov 01 2005 04:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Pink Floyd? Ugh! How could I forget them!? They only had one of the best produced albums ever (Dark Side of the Moon), not to mention that the music in and of itself is phenomenal. Their brand of psychedelic/atmospheric rock has appealed to a wide range of people for many years. Not to say I condone music because it appeals to the masses, AKA 99% of music today, but I say that in this case because I don't think I can think of anyone who doesn't like Pink Floyd. Granted, I don't know any deaf people and maybe it doesn't sound so great when you're listening by vibration. I think I'll summon Beethoven to do some reconnaisance for me.

RIP Hacker.

S. McCracken
Title: Enforcer
PostPosted: Nov 01 2005 04:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Rycona wrote:
Not to say I condone music because it appeals to the masses, AKA 99% of music today, but I say that in this case because I don't think I can think of anyone who doesn't like Pink Floyd.

Do you actually want to know anyone who doesn't like Pink Floyd?

Rycona
PostPosted: Nov 01 2005 04:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Also, you really should give Gentle Giant a chance. Their music does generally have a "gentle" nature (not like Kenny G), but they have more rocking stuff as well, not to mention some very odd stuff. If you are interested in music theory, or more specifically, complex counterpoint then you should give them a listen.

I just checked the Prog Archives and it seem their layout has changed a bit. It seems that they stream music now, instead of offering it for download. I apologize for not being aware of this sooner. I'm not sure what selections they have and I'm too lazy to check since I'm already streaming Kansas from http://www.xsao.net.

RIP Hacker.

Rycona
PostPosted: Nov 01 2005 04:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Excellent point, S McCraken, though I might want to know them in the sense of finding out where they live and ending their pitiful, non-Pink Floyd loving existence. But then again, I just think a lot. ^_^

RIP Hacker.

Kutulu
Title: Ano Nantoz Kako Daimono
PostPosted: Nov 01 2005 09:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I listen to Dream Theater and Pain of Salvation mostly for that kind of music, and some Cynic, but I would have to say my favorite progressive band is Opeth.

Think of me not as One, Think of me not as None, Think of me not at all, for I am Continual.

View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger
Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: Nov 02 2005 06:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

What about Liquid Tension Experiment? 'Paradigm Shift' will blow your fucking mind.

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

Kutulu
Title: Ano Nantoz Kako Daimono
PostPosted: Nov 02 2005 09:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Valdronius wrote:
What about Liquid Tension Experiment? 'Paradigm Shift' will blow your fucking mind.
LTE is great, as are most of the Dream Theater side projects. I was also hesitant to mention Ayreon since it is progressive, but it is also kind of Rock/Metal Opera type stuff.

Think of me not as One, Think of me not as None, Think of me not at all, for I am Continual.

View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger
Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Nov 03 2005 12:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
I'm not well versed in King Crimson, but I bought their greatest hits album after hearing "In The Court of the Crimson King" late one night on a local classic rock station. I also bought In The Court of the Crimson King on vinyl at a yard sale.

Don't you mean I bought In the Court of the Crimson King at a book/record sale at church fundraiser?

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Nov 03 2005 12:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Dr. Jeebus wrote:

Don't you mean I bought In the Court of the Crimson King at a book/record sale at church fundraiser?

I'm pretty sure that I bought it, but it's possible that I didn't have the fifty cents on me. At the very least, I found it.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Nov 03 2005 07:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You probably did find it, but I definately bought it. You probably had the 50 cents too (though then again, I was the one that was good with money when we were younger apparently...I don't recall that, but so I've been told) but I made a big deal about wanting to be the one to buy it for some reason. Maybe because I can see the future and I set an entire sequence of events in motion just to prove you wrong in a public forum. Afterall, I was the one that informed you that youc ould get sydlexia.com for just $7 for the first year....

THE DAY IS MINE!

UsaSatsui wrote:

Rycona
PostPosted: Nov 03 2005 08:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

=-=laughs=-=

RIP Hacker.

Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Nov 07 2005 11:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

And since I didn't notice that someone already mentioned it, yes, Liquid Tension Experiment is the shit. Just wish I hadn't lost all my old mp3s last format, cause I'm too lazy to download shit.

UsaSatsui wrote:

Deezee
Title: Disregard me.
PostPosted: Feb 26 2006 04:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

I love Prog Rock, or what I've heard of it (just getting into the genre). I like Enchant and Redemption. Redemption's latest album, The Fullness of Time, achieved more critical acclaim than Dream Theater's Octavarium, so if you like Dream Theater you should probably check out Redemption.

http://www.ivorygate.com/redemption/
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Feb 26 2006 07:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Queensryche is apparently releasing a sequel to Operation Mindcrime in about a month or so. It'll be interesting to see if Operation Mindcrime II can live up to the original.
Reply to topic

Jump to: