SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
A question for English/literature majors.

Reply to topic
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Nov 07 2009 07:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

So in many stories, you have the hero (protagonist) and his enemy (antagonist).

But you can also have a deuteragonist (a secondary hero, usually a friend or sidekick of the protagonist) and a tritagonist (a tertiary hero, usually a friend or sidekick of the protagonist).

For example, in the Mega Man X series you have:

Mega Man X - protagonist
Zero - deuteragonist
Axl - tritagonist

My question is this: are there equivalent terms for secondary and tertiary antagonists?
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
Title: ( ͡� &#8
PostPosted: Nov 07 2009 07:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

If I had to guess, it would be deutagonist and tritagonist.

Shake it, Quake it, Space Kaboom.

Tyop
Title: Grammar Nazi
PostPosted: Nov 08 2009 05:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

Not an English major, but according to my admittedly minuscule knowledge of Greek it would have to be deuterantagonist (or deutero-antagonist) and tritantagonist (or trito-antagonist). I doubt those are generally accepted terms though.

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Nov 08 2009 10:40 am Reply with quote Back to top

tweedledee and tweedledum

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Nov 08 2009 06:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Sith apprentice

Doddsino
PostPosted: Nov 09 2009 05:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

Accomplises
Henchman
Minions
Beasts of Burden

Basic hierarchy
SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Nov 09 2009 03:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd, no such term exists that I am aware of, although I have heard of the other three.

Remember though that protagonist does not actually refer to a "hero" or "good guy," it simply means 'the most important character in the story.' I doubt I'm telling you anything you don't already know, but if the most important character in a story is the most evil, horrible person on the face of the planet, he is still considered the protagonist, and any good guy opposing him would still be his antagonist (the character who is working against the protagonist.)

So depending on how many characters are in the story, I think it would be proper to use deuteragonist or tritagonist to refer to an important secondary antagonist--at least I've used them that way in papers before and never been corrected. (Just make sure you specify that in addition to being a deuteragonist, they are also working against the protagonist.)

Now, if you've got a huge cast (like say Star Wars) and there are protagonists and antagonists running around all over the place, I would go with using terms like "secondary [or additional] antagonist" for someone like, say, Emperor Palpatine. Its not quite as nice as just having a single word for it, but that's how I've done it in the past and, like I said, never got docked for it. That's my immediate take on the problem anyway.

I'll dig out my college books and do some research when I get home tonight and see what I can find though.

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Nov 09 2009 04:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

SoldierHawk wrote:
Remember though that protagonist does not actually refer to a "hero" or "good guy," it simply means 'the most important character in the story.' I doubt I'm telling you anything you don't already know, but if the most important character in a story is the most evil, horrible person on the face of the planet, he is still considered the protagonist, and any good guy opposing him would still be his antagonist (the character who is working against the protagonist.)

Yeah, I was oversimplifying for brevity's sake.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Captain_Pollution
Title: Hugh
PostPosted: Nov 13 2009 10:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hey, this seems the msot appropriate place to ask this. It came up in IRC a while ago, and I've been wondering...

So, you italicize the titles of long works, and quote the titles of short ones. So for a short story you'd put it in quotation marks, for a novel you'd italicize it. That's my understanding of that, as taught to me by my grade seven English teacher, and agreed upon by every one since then. But then I was talking about... One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, I believe, and a thought struck me: What about novellas? Do you quote or italicize their titles? I'd think quote, treating it like a really long short story, but I'm very curious, and no one I've asked's known.

<Drew_Linky> Well, I've eaten vegetables all of once in my life.

Doddsino
PostPosted: Nov 15 2009 09:03 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm pretty sure you Italicize those too, since they are the works of said author.
Ice2SeeYou
Title: Sexual Tyrannosaurus
PostPosted: Nov 24 2009 12:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Rocksteady + Bebop

Sydlexia.com - Where miserable bastards meet to call each other retards.

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Nov 24 2009 12:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Captain_Pollution wrote:
Hey, this seems the msot appropriate place to ask this. It came up in IRC a while ago, and I've been wondering...

So, you italicize the titles of long works, and quote the titles of short ones. So for a short story you'd put it in quotation marks, for a novel you'd italicize it. That's my understanding of that, as taught to me by my grade seven English teacher, and agreed upon by every one since then. But then I was talking about... One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, I believe, and a thought struck me: What about novellas? Do you quote or italicize their titles? I'd think quote, treating it like a really long short story, but I'm very curious, and no one I've asked's known.

From what I understand, it depends: if the novella is stand-alone, you italicize it. If its part of a collection, you quote it.

Therefore, properly written, you have the book Four Past Midnight by Stephen King, which includes the novella "The Langoliers." If for whatever reason that story was ever published alone though, and you were referring to that edition, it would become The Langoliers. That's my understanding anyway.

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Reply to topic

Jump to: