"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
"Classics" You've Read 'Just Because'

Reply to topic
Pandajuice
Title: The Power of Grayskull
PostPosted: Oct 28 2009 09:24 am Reply with quote Back to top

The only classic I've read on my own initiative (I've read a ton for school related reasons) was The Count of Monte Cristo. It's actually made up of two big volumes. I got through the first volume before I couldn't force myself to read another word. The language is just so extremely complex and tedious that you need to break down each sentence after you read it to grasp what it's saying.

Not only that, but the book drags like nobody's business. A good 75% of it is just useless, superfluous junk that seems only there to fill out the pages. It sucks that the book is so hard to read, because it's such an awesome, classic story.
Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Oct 28 2009 03:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

UsaSatsui wrote:
The Hobbit.

Man, that was tedious.

if you think the Hobbit was tedious take a stab at the Silmarillion , it's a fantastic story over all but it fucking draaaaaaaaaags on and on

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Oct 28 2009 04:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Blackout wrote:
UsaSatsui wrote:
The Hobbit.

Man, that was tedious.

if you think the Hobbit was tedious take a stab at the Silmarillion , it's a fantastic story over all but it fucking draaaaaaaaaags on and on

just like the Wheel of Time books.

apparently the new one was released already, but i still havent gotten it from amazon. what gives?

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Oct 28 2009 04:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

username wrote:
Blackout wrote:
UsaSatsui wrote:
The Hobbit.

Man, that was tedious.

just like the Wheel of Time books.

apparently the new one was released already, but i still havent gotten it from amazon. what gives?

Oh wow, whatshisname (can never remember the name of the author who took over after Jordan's death) finally finished the series? Very cool. Not enough to actually go through the seven books I would need to catch up, but I do look forward to hearing how the whole saga ended.

EDIT: just did a bit of research for fun...and holy fucking shit, they're diving the "last" novel in the series into THREE SEPARATE BOOKS? Shocked I submit that that is in no way, shape or form a "final novel" then; its *three more books* til the series is done! Good grief! (Not that I'm trying to rush it to a conclusion or anything-- I don't honestly care that much--just...damn, that's a huge series. Harry Potter was big, but this dwarfs it. Too big and complex for its own good imho.)

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Berserk007
Title: Freelance Skull Grinder
PostPosted: Oct 28 2009 04:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Personally as far as the last three books in the wheel of time series goes, I think they are just trying to milk it for as much as they can...two books I can understand..but come on three?. I love the series, but while reading it you will hit walls that frustrate the hell out of you, and you better pray you don't take an extended break between books, unless you are not bothered about missing references etc. This is really one of those series that you need to sit down and read from begin to end and nothing else or you are somewhat screwed, at least that's my opinion

For my confession they burned me with fire and found I was for endurance made. - The Arabian Nights

username
PostPosted: Oct 28 2009 06:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

apparently the final book got ridiculously long, so they split it up into three. not sure when the other 2 come out though. it better not be a whole year in between books. that would be some BS

Klimbatize wrote:

Blackout
PostPosted: Oct 28 2009 08:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

After extolling the virtues of The Sword of Truth Series (which I've read) to a friend of mine he read it and told me afterwords that it rips heavily from The Wheel of Time Series (which I've not read), although he doesn't think it was intentional. Is he right?

SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Oct 28 2009 10:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Blackout wrote:
After extolling the virtues of The Sword of Truth Series (which I've read) to a friend of mine he read it and told me afterwords that it rips heavily from The Wheel of Time Series (which I've not read), although he doesn't think it was intentional. Is he right?

Not sure. But if its got more magic and swashbuckling and less zzzzz-inducing attempts at political writing, I might very well give that series a shot.

militarysignatures.com

Blackout
PostPosted: Oct 28 2009 10:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It was great the first time through, but I've never been able to pick it back up so you might wanna try to snag it used.

username
PostPosted: Oct 28 2009 10:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

just got home and the WoT book is here. so, amazon just got here a day late.

Klimbatize wrote:

SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Oct 29 2009 12:20 am Reply with quote Back to top

Blackout wrote:
It was great the first time through, but I've never been able to pick it back up so you might wanna try to snag it used.

I'd rather not pay at all (at least not til I've read it once.) Off to the friendly neighborhood library I go! Very Happy

militarysignatures.com

Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Oct 29 2009 09:26 am Reply with quote Back to top

Blackout wrote:
UsaSatsui wrote:
The Hobbit.

Man, that was tedious.

Ya know, I dig that book. I know why people hate on it, but I kind of like the whole sort of 'textbook review / interpret your own drama' of the book.

Sadly, I had to read that for a class and didn't read it of my own initiative, but I would've gotten around for it eventually. Wink

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Nekkoru
Title: Polish Pickle Wench
PostPosted: Oct 29 2009 01:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've had a beautiful edition of the Hobbit with paintings of key scenes included, but I never could get into i. My motivation was always lost by the third chapter or so.

Perhaps the fact that this book is as large as my whole torso has something to do with it.

You should totally check out the IRC channel.
While you're at it, go check out my band, Her Majesty's Heroines.
Cameron wrote:
I now bestow upon you the title of Most Awesome Person. Very Happy

Blackout
PostPosted: Oct 31 2009 03:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, so I check the old Huckleberry and Sawyer books when I got home, and they don't have any copyright date at all.

I checked in the front and in the back, nothing. All they say is printed in the United States of America.

If I can get my hands on a camera phone that doesn't suck balls I'll post some pictures.

Ghandi
Title: Alexz Aficionado
PostPosted: Oct 31 2009 03:55 am Reply with quote Back to top

Nekkoru wrote:
I've had a beautiful edition of the Hobbit with paintings of key scenes included, but I never could get into i. My motivation was always lost by the third chapter or so.

Perhaps the fact that this book is as large as my whole torso has something to do with it.

You mean Lord of the Rings, which is quite small compared to newer series.

Slow reading, but worth it.

The Hobbit? A 2 night lazy read at most Smile

The characters are much cooler in the books, even the small ones.

RIP Hacker

Alexz Johnson

Captain_Pollution
Title: Hugh
PostPosted: Oct 31 2009 08:32 am Reply with quote Back to top

We had this conversation in IRC; it's not that the book is long, it's that it's big. The entire thing is printed on eleven by seventeen paper or something.

<Drew_Linky> Well, I've eaten vegetables all of once in my life.

JimmyLazer
Title: Always bored
PostPosted: Oct 31 2009 08:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

Tebor wrote:
Blackout wrote:
UsaSatsui wrote:
The Hobbit.

Man, that was tedious.

Ya know, I dig that book. I know why people hate on it, but I kind of like the whole sort of 'textbook review / interpret your own drama' of the book.

Sadly, I had to read that for a class and didn't read it of my own initiative, but I would've gotten around for it eventually. Wink

I don't know how you thought the Hobbit was tedious... It was like 200 pages long. It had freakin' songs! It was a musical book. Razz I love it though.

"15 birds, in five fir trees. Their feathers were fanned in a firery breeze!"
Captain_Pollution
Title: Hugh
PostPosted: Oct 31 2009 11:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

A) I read Satsui's post as a joke.

B) If you were replying to Satsui, why'd you quote Tebor quoting Blackout quoting him?

<Drew_Linky> Well, I've eaten vegetables all of once in my life.

nowayguy
PostPosted: Nov 01 2009 11:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah I bought a bunch old books from a store that was being moved out of a mall. I don't remember them all but one's I bought and read were Moby Dick, Frankenstein, Best of Sherlock Holmes and Tom Sawyer & Huckleberry Finn. All just to say I read em.

Couldn't finish Moby Dick or Frankenstein.

Loved Sherlock Holmes. Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn is in my top 5 books of all-time.
Reply to topic

Jump to: