"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Comedic plays

Reply to topic
Optimist With Doubts
Title: Titlating
PostPosted: Oct 21 2009 03:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I am in an acting class and I need to do a monologue from a comedic play, and I thought I would ask my learned sydlexians for suggestions. For the love of God no Shakespeare

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Oct 21 2009 03:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Optimist With Doubts wrote:
For the love of God no Shakespeare

And you cal yourself an actor. Fuck off.

/elitism

Okay seriously now. If you're looking for modern, you cannot get any better (or funnier, imho, than "Beyond Therapy" by Christopher Durang. You might have to do a bit of work to turn some of the best parts (which are conversations) into monologues, but it will be well worth it, trust me. Hilarious stuff.

Another great one is "Santaland Diaries" by David Sedaris. Its a one-person play, so all you have to do is pick a piece of it that's an appropriate length and that you like. I've done several monologues from it for auditions and such, and usually have great success--its a brilliant piece, but not his most widely known, and so the chances of someone else doing it too are pretty small. And even then, the chances of you both picking the same part are even smaller.

If you don't like either of those choices, anything by Durang or Sedaris will work, really. If you're looking for something a little more highbrow, maybe check out Beckett? Waiting for Godot (or No Exit by Sartre) both have awesome monologues. They aren't laugh out loud kind of comedy, more the dark, ironic kind, but if that's what you're looking for, you couldn't do better.

My personal vote: Santaland Diaries. Almost impossible to go wrong with it, and you'll love reading it too.

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Optimist With Doubts
PostPosted: Oct 21 2009 04:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Acting 1, aka intro acting. My teacher effectively said not to do Shakespeare because we will suck at it. And I can only choose a published play no novels or essays. I am considering Godot but someone did it for dramatic monologues. I am considering The Creation of the World and Other Business by Arthur miller.

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Oct 21 2009 04:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, but Santaland Diaries IS a published play; its not an essay. (None of the ones I mentioned are essays actually; all plays.)

Nothing wrong with picking the same play someone did for dramatic monologues. Obviously you're going to pick a different scene so I say if Godot is what you want to do, go for it.

(For the record, I hope it was obvious I was totally kidding about the Shakespeare joke btw. I would never, ever really insult someone for not wanting to do it.)

Regardless, let us know how the scene goes, and break a leg! Very Happy

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Oct 21 2009 05:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Go get this:
http://www.amazon.com/Incarnations-Three-Plays-Clive-Barker/dp/0061053295

Then pick just about any of the Devil's monologues from "THE HISTORY OF THE DEVIL", which is one of the three plays in the complilation.

It is one of the best plays, period. A dark, twisted, mindfuck covered in black humor.
Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Oct 21 2009 06:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Buy a script for something done by Monty Python and just call it a play!

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

Berserk007
Title: Freelance Skull Grinder
PostPosted: Oct 21 2009 07:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It may have been done to death, but it's been done for a reason

Depending on your time this is another good one especially if you are working with multiple people.

If all else fails you can always fall back on a monologue from Fight Club

For my confession they burned me with fire and found I was for endurance made. - The Arabian Nights

Optimist With Doubts
PostPosted: Oct 21 2009 07:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

All wonderful suggestions, even the ones that weren't from plays.
I chose Barefoot in the park after strolling through the stacks.

Doddsino
PostPosted: Oct 25 2009 04:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

As far as the monologue...does it HAVE to be from a play? Because I did a Steve Martin monolgue from SNL around Christmas time...I got an easy A in that class.

If you could even call it a class...a bunch of fuckers always wanted to do improv...because that's OH SO funny.
Optimist With Doubts
PostPosted: Oct 25 2009 12:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

If you do improve right it can be funny, and yes published plays only.

Doddsino
PostPosted: Oct 26 2009 10:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not saying improv can't be funny. BUT most of these people don't know HOW to do it at all, and it's not always meant to be funny anyways. We'd end up doing these stupid fucking skits that this brainfuck idiot would come up with, and only because our teacher had no control over the class, was it allowed. So we'd do these skits "according" to him which would usually consist of several people shouting over one another in order to try to be funny. Not trying to sound cocky or anything, but I try to be a professional, not to upstage anyone or do anything lude unless it's asked for. Every class I have ever taken for acting/drama has consisted with at least 25% of the class trying to be "funny" and having it fall flat more times than not and only entertaining themselves. Somewhere circulating is a tape of me and several other people attempting to do a courtroom scene, and if I could locate it, I'd let you see what I mean, absolutely unprofessional behavior on their behalf.
ODS
Title: Pretty Sweet Guy
PostPosted: Oct 26 2009 10:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Haha that would be funny if you did a play over this site. We need our own play.
jerknut
PostPosted: Oct 27 2009 07:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are dead is awesomely hilarious.

My all-time favorite play (in a short list that basically includes these 2) is Endgame, by Beckett. Its awesome, bleak, funny, insane. Its also relatively short.

MMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmm

Reply to topic

Jump to: