SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
This year's TNA: Bound for Glory (Contains some results)

Reply to topic
DJStonie
Title: >.>... I dunno
PostPosted: Oct 19 2009 01:07 am Reply with quote Back to top

I haven't watched TNA in quite some time, but I bothered to tune into Impact! this previous Thursday for the first time in a few months. It was definitely nice to see AJ Styles as the World Heavyweight Champion instead of the usual champs. AJ Styles used to be "Mr. TNA," before they began getting more established stars. I think he's been ready to have that spot again for quite some time, and it's just nice to see their own homegrown superstar finally up there. His match with Kurt Angle this previous Thursday definitely proved he's capable of delivering a match that that could easily be considered a match of the year candidate.

That wasn't his only great match this week, either. The main event for Bound for Glory was AJ Styles vs. Sting for the TNA World Heavyweight Championship. The second name's basically gone right along with the term "Bound for Glory main event" for a few years now, since he's walked out of the last three with the TNA World Heavyweight Championship. That, of course, is an example of why it was so nice to see AJ Styles walk both in and out of Bound for Glory has the TNA World Heavyweight Champion. While I do agree with the "You've still got it," cheer he received from the audience, I just think it's been a bit overdue for a home-grown TNA star to shine. Besides, judging by his response, Sting's not retiring just yet anyway - So it was definitely AJ Style's time to shine.
\
AJ Styles isn't the only one who had two great matches this week. Kurt Angle did a pretty good job at putting Matt Morgan over. Even if Morgan came out of Bound for Glory with a loss, he did put on a pretty good match in my opinion. Of course, I suppose Kurt Angle being involved may have made something to do with him looking that good in the ring. But, Morgan's been known as "The Blueprint" for a reason, even if it's a bit of an outdated concept of a wrestling superstar. The sign of respect from Kurt Angle after the match may suggest there's some truth to the name, though.

Also, the typical "Monster vs. Monster" match between Mick Foley and Abyss wasn't so bad. Foley actually got over as a heel pretty well during the setup for the match over the previous few weeks (Judging by the one Impact I've seen and the crowd's reaction, anyway) and that was a nice change. The match itself was exactly what it was meant to be - A bloody match that I'm sure made some people want to cringe. Abyss picking up the victory despite interference was a nice little add-on to the match, since again - It's nice to see the homegrown stars going over.

I would have been more satisfied to see Beer Money Inc. walk away with the TNA World Tag Team Championship, but watching the British Invasion walk out with them wasn't so bad either. Hopefully they'll keep the titles away from Team 3D for a while. And, of course, the Ultimate-X Match delivered as always, with The Amazing Red walking out as champion.

This was probably their best Bound for Glory since they really allowed for the newer guys to shine this year. I really hope they keep going in a similar direction, because it was definitely worth watching both Thursday and Sunday. But, since it's TNA, I guess it's a "Wait and see" thing.
Fusion
PostPosted: Oct 19 2009 02:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

I've never really watched much of TNA to begin with, but watched it for the first time in a while again to see Bound For Glory.

I like watching both AJ Styles and Sting wrestle, so seeing that match was awesome. It was done well and good to see how they both had respect for each other and all the talk about the "passing he torch" symbolism of the match.

I've never really liked Kurt Angle, but still can't deny that the match with Matt Morgan was pretty good.

I liked the Mick Foley and Abyss match. As you said, exactly what it was meant to be =p I also was happy that Abyss won.

As for the tag team match, I just caught the ending, so I really can't say anything about that one.

All in all, definitely a great Bound For Glory. Glad that I got to watch it, was better than I expected it to be, based on some of the TNA matches that I've seen. Hopefully, they continue on the good streak.
Doddsino
PostPosted: Oct 19 2009 07:11 am Reply with quote Back to top

It's easily the best 2 hour wrestling show on TV right now, I still don't make it a habit to watch, but if it's on, I'll definately tune in. I really don't care for the World Elite, even more so because of Eric Young, the guy annoys me no matter what he does. Morgan is ok, but it's really sad that WWE underminded him and stuck him with that STUPID stuttering gimmick that never got over and really stalled his career for a while, he's a good big man, but I don't think I could ever cheer him, especially in a company where I always look at the little guys above anyone else. Kurt Angle is my favorite wrestler of all time. That said, I've NEVER liked him in TNA, he's still a great wrestler and puts on great matches, but I've just never enjoyed his role, he's always felt like a WWE guy. Foley is doing alright for himself here, he fits in TNA pretty well, Abyss isn't nearly as good as he was 4 years ago as far as character goes, but that's sort of the same story that Kane has. Let's just hope that they don't have Abyss having sex with corpses any time soon. I didn't watch the PPV, but I've heard pretty positive reviews and it really makes me happy that I have an alternative choice to WWE, I just wish they'd push Impact to Monday, even though I know they'd probably get killed in the ratings.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Oct 19 2009 07:32 am Reply with quote Back to top

I liked the way they handled the main event. The result was notoriously leaked earlier this week, as TNA Turning Point promos popped up OnDemand and there were local ads in the market where the show's being held, since they wanted to start selling tickets. I kind of thought they might change it, but they've probably already pretaped some IMPACTs, which would have made it very difficult. Sting and AJ are two of my favorite guys, and I'm happy to see either one as champion.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Reply to topic

Jump to: