SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Marvel didn't have the balls after all...

Reply to topic
Poll :: Who didn't see this coming?

Saw it coming a mile away.
50%
 50%  [ 8 ]
You even have to ask?
18%
 18%  [ 3 ]
...Marvel comics revive people!? Who knew!
31%
 31%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 16

AtmanRyu
Title: The Wandering Dragon
PostPosted: Jun 30 2009 08:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Captain America: Reborn

"Everyone knows the story of the Death of Captain America, how Steve Rogers was struck down on the steps of a New York courthouse and how the American Dream died that day. But now there may be a way to bring back the World’s Greatest Hero and it begins this July in CAPTAIN AMERICA: REBORN #1. Get your first look at the exclusive Marvel.com trailer for the biggest comic book event of the year as the original Captain America returns!"

Admittely, I was among the people who got upset when Cap died in a really stupid way in Civil War, but c'mon Marvel! Have some tact for once!

Then again, I once met a Marvel editor at college who openly admited he's in for the money, so I shouldn't be surprised at this point...
SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Jun 30 2009 08:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Laughing Ah well, it'll be good to have him back at least.

I hope he doesn't make Colbert give him his Shield back. Confused

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Optimist With Doubts
Title: Titlating
PostPosted: Jun 30 2009 08:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cmon we all knew he wasn't going to stay dead. He would only be dead long enough to have a scramble in the marvel universe and create publicity. It did on both counts.

Cattivo
PostPosted: Jun 30 2009 08:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm surprised that you're surprised. There was no doubt of his eventual return.

AtmanRyu wrote:
Then again, I once met a Marvel editor at college who openly admited he's in for the money...

In it for the money? With comics? They're not very profitable anymore. You're better off trying to be a stock broker or corporate attorney if you're trying to make a shitload of money.
Ross Rifle
Title: Rock N Roll God
PostPosted: Jun 30 2009 08:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It's really hard to be sad about the death of a comic icon when you know they'll be revived in a year or two.

Does anybody here have a Ross Rifle?
www.thetwowordsmusic.com
www.myspace.com/rossrifle

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
AtmanRyu
PostPosted: Jun 30 2009 09:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cattivo wrote:
I'm surprised that you're surprised. There was no doubt of his eventual return.

C'mon, I AM aware of Marvel's revolving door policy (Jean Grey, hello?).

Ten bucks says his return involves making a deal with Mephisto (oh snap!)

But seriously, the bothersome part about all this is the fridge logic behind it:

Tony - "Oh noes! Cap died from a gun shot! WAH!"

*couple of years later*

Tony - "Good news everyone! We found a MacGuffin that can bring Cap from the death!"

Spiderman - "Wait a minute! I had to lose my marriage to the Devil to save my senile aunt from a BULLET WOUND and turns out there was such a device in the first place? WHAT THE FUCK!?

Again, I'm aware a conversation like that would never happen, but sometimes it's really hard to steer away from the plotholes.
Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Jun 30 2009 11:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Bucky has been really good as Captain America and I'm kinda sad to see Steve Rogers come back, but here are some things to consider:
1. The return of Captain America is being written by Ed Brubaker who wrote the last 50+ issues of Captain America, which takes us 2 years before he died. The quality of the book has been consistently high, so I have faith that he knows what he's doing.
2. Ed Brubaker is also writing things right now such as Incognito and like the best run of Daredevil ever. Seriously, the guy knows what he's doing.
3. Telling a good story is the most important thing, even if you're forced by the higher ups to do some stupid stuff. Geoff Johns has been writing Green Lantern for DC for a while now, and the Sinestro Corps war was one of the greatest things I ever read, as has been everything since then leading into Blackest Night (Premiering in a week or two!). It may be really, REALLY fucking stupid that DC has decided anyone they ever killed will be brought back to life as a Black Lantern (An announcement that came the same fucking day they killed Martian Manhunter making absolutely no one care), but Geoff Johns is such a phenomenal writer that it really doesn't matter because he'll turn it into an amazing story.

Also, at least Marvel had the balls to kill Cap, show us the body, and let him stay dead for over two years. DC didn't even have the balls to kill Batman for 7 fucking days.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

Douche McCallister
Title: DOO-SHAY
PostPosted: Jun 30 2009 11:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ross Rifle wrote:
It's really hard to be sad about the death of a comic icon when you know they'll be revived in a year or two.

Not all of us had him behind us in the Forum Battle. Maybe just cause he was like..."Pst* Hey...Hey Ross...Listen man, I'm gonna be dying here pretty soon, get a picture of me holding this Canadian Flag here. Oh don't worry I'll be back.", you weren't as devstated as the rest of us.

AtmanRyu
PostPosted: Jul 01 2009 01:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

Dr. Jeebus wrote:
Also, at least Marvel had the balls to kill Cap, show us the body, and let him stay dead for over two years. DC didn't even have the balls to kill Batman for 7 fucking days.

So he wasn't dead at all... I KNEW IT!

Goddamn, it's things like this which keeps drifting me to manga and indie comics.
Andrew Man
Title: Is a Funklord
PostPosted: Jul 01 2009 10:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yea Bucky is the shit.

But you knew they were gonna bring him back, they had to do it before the 2011 film. It was just inevitable.

Also, granted the first issue came out today, but the announcement that Steve Rogers is coming back is fairly old news...

My Muzaks! CHECK IT OUT!!!
http://www.facebook.com/hellodharmaband

3DS is very good, and Wii U!

Ross Rifle
Title: Rock N Roll God
PostPosted: Jul 01 2009 11:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Douche McCallister wrote:
Ross Rifle wrote:

Not all of us had him behind us in the Forum Battle. Maybe just cause he was like..."Pst* Hey...Hey Ross...Listen man, I'm gonna be dying here pretty soon, get a picture of me holding this Canadian Flag here. Oh don't worry I'll be back.", you weren't as devstated as the rest of us.

Um....um....um....SO?? Not my fault I got connections man. Whatever.

Does anybody here have a Ross Rifle?
www.thetwowordsmusic.com
www.myspace.com/rossrifle

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
wunstar
Title: Mr. I guess??
PostPosted: Jul 02 2009 08:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

I am only missing 50 some issuses from Tales of Suspense to present day..... That being said, they only extended period of time I didn't read or keep up with cap's title was during Brubaker's run, There was an issue where Sharon Carter was pregnant and got stabbed in the womb, that was the end for me. Bringing back Bucky was a mistake in my eyes, there are more deserving people who could have carried the mantle of Cap. The story on how Steve can some back to life is going to be a mess and I hate retcons and changes in continuity but I really think they are making the right decsion by bringing Cap back....

I guess I am the only one who isn't a fan of Brubaker....

Never feed a baby black root...

Char Aznable
Title: Char Classic™
PostPosted: Jul 03 2009 03:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

So Captain America = Jesus?

AtmanRyu
PostPosted: Jul 03 2009 10:32 am Reply with quote Back to top

Char Aznable wrote:
So Captain America = Jesus?

Well, he died for Tony Stark's sins...
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jul 16 2009 11:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

There was a saying in the comic book industry that went something like this: "The only people who stay dead are Uncle Ben, Bucky, and Jason Todd."

That, of course, proved to be untrue. Because when you give comic book writers a rule, they're going to break it, because they're like, all edgy and badass and stuff. But yeah, very rarely do characters stay dead. The only important characters who seem to stay dead are Uncle Ben, Gwen Stacy, and Thomas & Martha Wayne. And of those four characters, three of them are only important because they're dead.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Optimist With Doubts
Title: Titlating
PostPosted: Jul 21 2009 07:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I always thought the phrase was "only uncle ben and gwen stacey stay dead"

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jul 21 2009 07:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The phrase has been modified many, many times over the years. As far as I can find, the version I quoted was the original incarnation.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Reply to topic

Jump to: