SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
New Iron Maiden album!

Reply to topic
OctoMan
PostPosted: Sep 27 2006 03:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've haven't bought it yet (I probably will purely out of loyalty). Any Maiden fans heard it yet? I like the cover, as always (except for one or two monstrosities...).
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Sep 27 2006 04:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Haven't heard the album, but I'm going to see then on October 6th. It'll be my third time seeing them and I'm pretty psyched. They always put on a good show.

The album cover is all right. It's a lot better than the Dance of Death cover, but I miss the more cartoonish album covers of the 80s... stuff like Piece of Mind, Powerslave, and Number of the Beast. And of course, Killers.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
OctoMan
PostPosted: Sep 27 2006 06:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
I'm going to see then on October 6th.

That'd be *awesome*. Friends of mine were talking about going up to Montreal to see 'em in October, but they can't go now, so I won't be either, but they're one band I'd like to see before they retire and/or die.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Oct 07 2006 03:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

If you miss Maiden on this tour, you're not missing much. Their setlist is kinda disappointing. Basically, they play through the new album in its entirety and then do 4 or 5 old songs... and they're not doing "Number of the Beast" on this tour.

In retrospect, I wish I had bought the album and familiarized myself with it. I probably would have enjoyed the show more. But even so, the new songs aren't as good as the old classics. If they were going to play through an album in its entirety, they should have done "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son".

Supposedly they're not coming back to North America until 2008 after this tour. When they do, they're going to revive the old pyramid stage from the Powerslave era and do a lot more vintage songs. That will be a can't miss tour.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Oct 08 2006 01:22 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm with Syd. It started off very promising with the lights going out, everyone chanting "MAIDEN!" like I've never heard before, some red lights dimming on a set, and Holst's "Mars" blaring through the speakers. That was the highlight of the first like 90 minutes of the concert. The new album is nothing but a bunch of 10 minute songs that all kinda suonded the same, except the very last one which sucks. Then they played Fear of the Dark (my favorite song which I guess they haven't done in a while, so yay!), played Iron Maiden, and said "goodnight". Then for the encore they did Two Minutes to Midnight, The Evil That Men Do, and I forget the last song. During the segment (entire concert) when they did the new album, I actually came up with a list of a half dozen other places I would have rather been in about 3 seconds. Unlike Syd who saw them twice before, this was my first time Sad

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

greeneyedzeke
PostPosted: Oct 09 2006 09:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

I dunno. I liked the show. Granted, it was my third time seeing Maiden, so I've seen them do the hits before and my opinion WAS helped by the fact that i was fifth row center, so any let down I might've felt by hearing the new album start to finish was ameliorated by having Steve Harris machine-gunning me with his bass all night, but still.

I guess I take it for what it is... Maiden wanted to try something new and they're not really denying that Boston and Hartford were essentially "small" warm up gigs for the larger venues on their itinerary. I can remember plenty of instances where people were complaining about always seeing "the game greatest hits show", so this is sort of a response to that.

That being said, when the guitars were horribly, godawfully mistuned during "The Legacy" it was really funny. Bruce kept looking around like "You've got to be fucking kidding me" and teasing the other band members. I was kind of surprised they kept going with the song. Even my buddy who actively works in the music business as part of a management team (I won't name the group...) said "I have never seen such a train wreck from a band this big". He thought it was great, too.

Never fear, though. We'll get that classics tour in a year or so and all will be well.

One last note: Syd and I agreed on this when talking about the show over IM. Eddie's tank should've fired something, ANYTHING. You don't pull the band's mascot up in freaking artilery and NOT let him blow shit up. That's just... wrong and odd.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Oct 10 2006 11:52 am Reply with quote Back to top

greeneyedzeke wrote:
I guess I take it for what it is... Maiden wanted to try something new and they're not really denying that Boston and Hartford were essentially "small" warm up gigs for the larger venues on their itinerary. I can remember plenty of instances where people were complaining about always seeing "the game greatest hits show", so this is sort of a response to that.

Yeah, while it wasn't the best Maiden show I've ever seen, I certainly respect what they did. Most bands don't play through an entire album live at the PEAK of their popularity and to do so later in your career takes massive balls. Most people who go to see old acts do so because they want to hear the hits. And while Maiden certainly has a lot of diehard fans, it was still a pretty big risk to take and I'll give them props for it.

Still, I can't help but think of that episode of The Simpsons where Homer sees Bachman Turner Overdrive at the state fair:

BTO: We'd like to play a new song for you..
Homer: No new crap! Play "Takin' Care of Business!"
BTO: But...
Homer: Play "Takin' Care of Business!"
(BTO starts playing it)
Homer: Skip to the "And workin' overtime!" part
(band finishes)
Homer: Play "Takin' Care of Business!"
BTO: But we just played that song!
Homer (annoyed): Whatever.
Xavier13
PostPosted: Dec 09 2006 12:29 am Reply with quote Back to top

A Matter of Life and Death is my second favorite album of this year. Here's how:
Bruce Dickinson, first and foremost, has regained a lot of his old skill. And the vocals on this album are very good, entrancing at times. The first instance of this is the second part of the chorus in "Different World." Steve Harris' bass is as heavy as it was in the last two albums. He also does the keyboards very well, creating an almost orchestral feel to it.

The guitarwork is also excellent. I particularly like the riff on "These colors Don't Run". The album also has a slight progressive note to it. Most of the songs on AMOLAD are in the Passchendale manner, long, heavy and epic. Nicko McBrain also does a good job, especially on "Out Of The Shadows", although I do not really like that song.

My favorite songs would definately have to be "For The Greater Good of God" and "The Legacy," both long and epic, a touch of reminiscience from the Majestic "Hallowed Be Thy Name."

The only song I do not like is "Out of the Shadows." A little bland, if you ask me.

BLIND GUARDIAN

Ross Rifle
Title: Rock N Roll God
PostPosted: Dec 09 2006 02:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

Maiden fuckin rules, i grew up on em, but I don't like the lack of Run To The Hills and other classics, and sure they'll come back to North America, but they'll probably skip over Vancouver for the third time Mad

Does anybody here have a Ross Rifle?
www.thetwowordsmusic.com
www.myspace.com/rossrifle

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
Xavier13
PostPosted: Dec 09 2006 03:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

No, Ross, Iron Maiden did not come to the west coast. Pity. Did you know they played the entire new album at their live shows?

BLIND GUARDIAN

Ross Rifle
PostPosted: Dec 09 2006 09:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

of course i knew that dude, i know all (when it comes to rock and metal) and you know that

www.thetwowordsmusic.com

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Dec 10 2006 03:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

ive heard some zany covers of "hallowed be thy name"

my favorites being iced earth and cradle of filth.

Ross Rifle
PostPosted: Dec 10 2006 03:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

dude, the CoF version of Hallowed and Fear of the Dark are amazing!!!

www.thetwowordsmusic.com

Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Dec 10 2006 04:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

I hate anything that stands between me and Maiden, and that means YOU, Henry Rollins!

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

Xavier13
PostPosted: Dec 11 2006 09:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

JEW wrote:
ive heard some zany covers of "hallowed be thy name"

my favorites being iced earth.
Image Great cover.

BLIND GUARDIAN

albrowne
Title: Prince of Persia
PostPosted: Dec 26 2006 06:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ah, my best Iron Maiden anecdote involves me spilling tea on Bruce's flight manual at a paintball centre in London. Good times.

Can't say I'm a massive fan of Maiden, though. Got their Greatest Hits collection and Number of the Beast, but thats all.
Reply to topic

Jump to: