"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Star Wars books

Reply to topic
TopShelf
Title: Not the Pantry
PostPosted: May 12 2009 11:06 am Reply with quote Back to top

I know there is a whole wack of them, and I heard some of them can be quite good. So I was wondering if someone could recommend one or a few to get me started.

"I'm the best actor/model and not the other way around! -Fabio

Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: May 12 2009 04:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Any of the Boba Fett ones are good, some of the Han Solo Centered ones are decent. The ones that focus on Luke and his Jedi Training Center are meh, and the ones where Han Luke Leia and the rest of the gang are old and their kids are having wacky force hijinks against some new enemy I could never finish reading. Stick to the Fett first.

Chile Guy
Title: Token Latino Otaku
PostPosted: May 12 2009 07:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Just beware, there are novelizations of the Episodes I-III (and perhaps from the original saga, too). My brother had the Phantom Menace one. I read just a part and thought it was boring, so I can't say much else.

MOGHARR
Title: The Original CandyWafer
PostPosted: May 12 2009 08:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I read a bunch of these a few summers ago. My favorite one was Tales From the Mos Eisley Cantina. For me it was easier to get into the Star Wars books when they were full of short stories. Another good one was about all the bounty hunters that went after Han Solo.

"Well I don`t judge most things by graphics, reality has amazing graphics, and I don`t like it, that`s why I play video games." Laminated Sky on Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger
Black Zarak
Title: Big Coffin Hunter
PostPosted: May 13 2009 12:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

The novelization of Revenge of the Sith is excellent and gives way more backstory that the movie glosses over. The Heir to the Empire trilogy is good, as is Allegiance and Outbound Flight. Splinter of the Mind's Eye is good. The Dark Nest Trilogy is good (but kinda later in time; most of the original trilogy characters are in their early 60's by then...) Shatterpoint is a really good one about Mace Windu which portrays him as one bad mother fucker like he should be. A lot of the New Jedi Order books covering the Yuuzhan Vong war are pretty cool.

REVIEWS, LEGOS, NONSENSE Check out Zarak's Barracks!

"Let that be a lesson to you, your family and everyone you've ever known..."

"Thanks to denial, I'm immortal!"

TopShelf
Title: Not the Pantry
PostPosted: May 13 2009 11:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

I think I have it down between the Tales of the Bounty Hunters and the Heir to the empire. They both sound pretty good, but who doesn't like bounty hunters....I may have to give that one a go.

Anyway, thanks everyone, I appreciate your input.

"I'm the best actor/model and not the other way around! -Fabio

IceWarm
PostPosted: May 14 2009 02:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I really enjoyed the "Tales" books, especially the Mos Eisley Cantina and Bounty Hunter ones.

"Anybody who ever built an empire, or changed the world, sat where you are now. And it’s because they sat there that they were able to do it."

"Fighting in a basement offers a lot of difficulties, number one being, you're fighting in a basement."

"You're Not So Tough Without Your Veggie!"

Ross Rifle
Title: Rock N Roll God
PostPosted: May 21 2009 03:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

Shadows of the Empire takes place between Empire and Jedi and it's fantastic.

Does anybody here have a Ross Rifle?
www.thetwowordsmusic.com
www.myspace.com/rossrifle

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
Kacen
PostPosted: Jun 10 2009 08:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

All the Timothy Zahn novels, Hell yeah!

Sloop Up!™ for Mobile Sloops™ Weekdays at 4:00 PM!

Asmodeous667
Title: Keeper of the briefcase
PostPosted: Jun 19 2009 11:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

I personaly loved the series about the Yuuzhan Vong. It has a great story but it's really long, it spans about 18 books if I remember right.
Here's some backstory on them.
Quote:
The Yuuzhan Vong ("Children of Yun-Yuuzhan", also called the Chosen Race), (sometimes incorrectly abbreviated to Vong, which implied that one was disowned by one's family and one's gods) were a race of sentients which posed a significant threat to the New Republic.

The Yuuzhan Vong and their Chazrach slaves were among the few alien species known to originate outside the galaxy (the only known others being the Kwa, Silentium, and Abominor). The Yuuzhan Vong resembled Humans in form, though they were taller and heavier than the average Human and had less hair on their heads. The Yuuzhan Vong were religious zealots who viewed mechanical technology as blasphemy. Their technological innovations were genetically engineered and purely organic. Additionally, the Yuuzhan Vong deeply respected pain to the point of masochism, and strove to improve their physical capabilities through organ grafting. Such grafting was a status symbol within Yuuzhan Vong society.

Perhaps most notably, the Yuuzhan Vong were unable to be sensed through the Force. However, some Force attacks were capable of being used upon them. This confounded the Jedi who first encountered the Yuuzhan Vong because prior to their emergence most life forms were thought to have a Force energy signature.

You can also find plenty of backstory on the race and books on the following site:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Yuuzhan_Vong_War

Good....... Bad......... I'm the guy with the gun

Black Zarak
Title: Big Coffin Hunter
PostPosted: Jun 19 2009 12:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, the Vong War is pretty good, and like wicked long. I thought it was like 12 books, I'm too lazy to count right now. It's cool, but by the time you get to the last book, you've sort of forgotten things that happened in the first couple.

REVIEWS, LEGOS, NONSENSE Check out Zarak's Barracks!

"Let that be a lesson to you, your family and everyone you've ever known..."

"Thanks to denial, I'm immortal!"

Asmodeous667
Title: Keeper of the briefcase
PostPosted: Jun 19 2009 01:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

If you really want to make it memorable I highly reccomend trying to find the audio book of it or any other Star Wars book for that matter. I used to work in production and spent most of my days listining to books while I worked and the Star Wars ones were by far the best. They did a really good job of pulling you into the stories by using enthusiastic readers that really got into the books and also made great use of sound effects and musical scores.

Good....... Bad......... I'm the guy with the gun

Reply to topic

Jump to: