"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Help me build a Magic deck

Reply to topic
Smurfsrdead
PostPosted: Mar 18 2009 12:03 am Reply with quote Back to top

Wow, haven't posted in a while.

Anyway, it seems like I recently got back into Magic the Gathering. I was never really any good at it, and bunch of my friends started playing it again, so I decided to join in on the fun. Grabbing up a bunch of my old cards (and a few new cards from my brother), I have set up a deck. I don't think it's very effective, but it sure is cool. I haven't really tested it out yet, and suggestions for improvement are absolutely welcome.

18 creatures
1 Phyrexian Dreadnought (1)

4 Juggernaut (4)

3 Windwright Mage (1white,1blue,1black)

1 Lady Evangela (1white,1blue,1black)

1 Dromar (3,1white,1blue,1black)

1 Dakkon Blackblade (2,1white,2blue,1black)

1 Wall of Nets (1,2white)

3 Welkin Hawk (1,1white)

1 Abyssal Specter (2,2black)

1 Dauthi Mercenary (2,1black)

1 Mirri the cursed (2,2black)

12 Spells, 6 Artifacts
1 Dromar’s Charm (1white,1blue,1black)

1 Diabolic Vision (1blue,1black)

2 Disenchant (1,1white)

1 Last Word (2,2blue)

2 Counterspell (2blue)

1 Deflection (3,1blue)

2 Arrest (2,1white)

1 Soul Link (1,1white,1black)

1 Teferi’s Moat (3,1white,1blue)

1 Whispersilk Cloak (3)

1 Sword of Light and Shadow (3)

4 Lotus Petal (0)

24 Lands
2 Dromar’s Cavern, 4 Arcane Sanctum, 7 Plains, 6 Islands, 5 Swamps

Basically, my strategy is get out welkin hawks as teasers, pump out juggernauts to bother people/eventually sacrifice them for the dreadnought, use the dead/sacrificed artifact creatures to get the full potential of windwright mages, and do lots of big damage with Dakkon and Dromar. Counter spells, disenchants, and arrests to back me up, and Teferi's moat for protection. Mirri is a rather cool card, as if Sword of Light and Shadow. Ta daa...
nihilisticglee
PostPosted: Mar 18 2009 01:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

my first advice
http://forums.gleemax.com/forumdisplay.php?f=156
the people their will probably be able to give better advice then I will. I linked you right to the casual form, as you will get the best advice for what you want there.

second, constancy
You have some really good cards, both for combos and control (sorry, best I could find to explain it). The problem is, there is very little constancy thanks to all the one of. Replacing some of the creatures that are replaceable with just any other creature and put in another copy of something that works.

also, to get an idea how to build decks on a budget, you should check out some Ben Bleiweiss. Yes, it was mainly for magic online, but it shows you come good commons and how things work.
IceWarm
PostPosted: Mar 18 2009 01:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

Phyrexian Dreadnought is tough to play. You need to sacrifice creatures totaling 12 total power to play it. It is way too risky in my opinion. I have cards in my blue deck that will basically make that creature useless such as Withdraw. Say you cast it, sacrifice the creatures needed and then I play Withdraw. You're get Phyrexian Dreadnought back in your hand but you're out whatever you sacrificed. Plus if I play it when all your lands are tapped you're screwed because you can't counterspell it with no available mana.

"Anybody who ever built an empire, or changed the world, sat where you are now. And it’s because they sat there that they were able to do it."

"Fighting in a basement offers a lot of difficulties, number one being, you're fighting in a basement."

"You're Not So Tough Without Your Veggie!"

Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Mar 18 2009 09:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

I think you're kind of unfocused, probably because there's so many one ofs. What exactly would you like your deck to be able to do?

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

Smurfsrdead
PostPosted: Mar 18 2009 12:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the advice to post on the Magic forums, I pretty much copied and pasted what I wrote here and put it up there.

Phyrexian Dreadnought is in there as either something I can use in conjunction with a couple of juggernauts, or I can just summon and sacrifice him (1 mana, no biggie) to help out my windwright mages.

And yeah, the deck is definitely kind of unfocused. My main idea was that a large majority of my spells would go towards control: (the counterspells, arrests, disnenchants, Teferi's moat), also wall of nets/Lady Evangela really helps in this manner.

I was thinking that my creatures would be able to cause a big beatdown? Dakkon and Dromar are certainly strong (especially with Whispersilk/Sword of L&S), the juggernauts are fun because they have to attack no matter what, and the windwright mages are great with flying and lifelink. However, their costs are all "high" (4 is arguably high I suppose, but 3 mana, each of a certain color for the mages, is certainly not a "low" cost). Mirri is a fun card, especially with the sword of L&S, and the abyssal specter is kind of random... it's flying and forces you to discard? I figured the welkin hawks were good to put in because they are easy to summon 1/1 flying creatures, so they could back up the higher cost creatures in the beginning. Also no one uses shadow creatures anymore, so using a dauthi mercenary that can be beefed up is a fun, guaranteed unblockable.

I'm looking pretty much to make a big combo/control deck, that can generally hold itself well against any other types of decks.

I could possibly remove the dauthi mercenary and abyssal specter for 2 more wall of nets, and replace the 3 welkin hawks with 3 brain storms to help speed up the "getting good cards" process, I suppose?
Kojjiro!
PostPosted: Mar 18 2009 06:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Most of my cards are first or second edition MTG (portal, mirage) which are apparently banned in tournaments

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Mar 18 2009 07:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Quick, easy tourny legal deck:

22 Moutains
4 Blaze
4 Banefire
4 Flame Javelins
4 Incinerates
4 Lava Axes
4 Rekindled Flames
4 Shocks
4 Tarfires
4 Wall Of Fires
2 Chandra Nalaars

It stomps slows decks to pieces. If you want, take a few Direct Damage cards out and replace them with 1/1 timmys.
Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Mar 18 2009 10:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Knyte wrote:
Quick, easy tourny legal deck:

22 Moutains
4 Blaze
4 Banefire
4 Flame Javelins
4 Incinerates
4 Lava Axes
4 Rekindled Flames
4 Shocks
4 Tarfires
4 Wall Of Fires
2 Chandra Nalaars

It stomps slows decks to pieces. If you want, take a few Direct Damage cards out and replace them with 1/1 timmys.

Chandra is too slow for this deck, and Banefires are $10 each. Maybe spread that money out among some decent uncommons. 8 spells with X in the cost is far too slow too, especially with only 22 land.
Here's a similar style, cheaper deck:
22x Mountains (This deck has a lower mana curve so it doesn't need the 24+ that the previous one would)

4x Mogg Fanatic
4x Spark Elemental
4x Hellspark Elemental
4x Boggart Ram-Gang
4x Ashenmoor Gouger
2x Hostility

4x Magma Spray
4x Shock
4x Incinerate
4x Flame Javelin

This is a much cheaper deck (only 2 rares) and probably more resilient. If money isn't an option, up the land count to 24 and get 4x Figure of Destiny and 4x Demigod of Revenge, dropping Hostility, Shock, and Hellspark Elemental.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

Smurfsrdead
PostPosted: Mar 19 2009 01:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

I took out the stragglers, here's what we're looking at now:

60 Cards
-------------------------------------------
19 creatures
1 Phyrexian Dreadnought
4 Juggernaut
4 Windwright Mage
4 Arcbound Stinger
1 Lady Evangela
1 Dromar, the Banisher
1 Dakkon Blackblade
1 Mirri the Cursed
1 Wall of Nets
1 Wall of Reverence

11 Spells, 6 Artifacts
1 Dromar's Charm
1 Diabolic Vision
2 Disenchant
3 Counterspell
1 Deflection
2 Arrest
1 Teferi's Moat
1 Whispersilk Cloak
1 Sword of Light and Shadow
4 Lotus Petal

24 Lands
2 Dromar's Cavern
4 Arcane Sanctum
3 Reflecting Pool
6 Plains, 5 Islands, 4 Swamps

Added a wall of reverence and another windwright mage for life gain, also arcbound stingers are great to summon quickly and add on to windwrights for more life gain/juggernauts for more power/the dreadnought itself. I took out soul link, kind of want to add in some brainstorms, but not sure where or how. Also, Reflecting pools are great.
Reply to topic

Jump to: