"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Ross Rifle's Secret Acoustic 0th Album!

Reply to topic
Ross Rifle
Title: Rock N Roll God
PostPosted: Jan 18 2009 05:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

So while I've been trying to get a job to finance the release and reproduction of my debut album (which we'll say is delayed indefinitely, though that probably means like...three weeks tops), my life's had it's ups and downs.

I've spent many days walking around handing out resumes and walking home rejected (I got turned down by four places because I have a penis, two of those places because I'm white). And my parents are like strangers to me now. The only they talk to me is to give me shit for not having a job. So the other night, I was sick of being poor, and even more sick of getting crapped on for being unemployed, so I spent 1am to 4am recording an album of acoustic covers. It's called 'Zero: The Bedroom Sessions' (the dirty name was a completely unintentional 3 am decision), and so far I've made $52 and two beers off it.

The official tracklisting is as follows:
1. That's What You Get (by Paramore hahahaha)
2. Patience (by Guns N' Roses...seriously my acoustic sounds so much like Slash's it's hard to tell the difference in the beginning)
3. Sweet Child O' Mine (by Guns N' Roses...is it like Sheryl Crow's? I don't know, fuck that bitch. It's my own adaptation, and considering it's my favorite song, it should do it justice)
4. Little Dreamer (by The Mighty Van Halen)
5. Eighteen (by Alice Cooper...I managed to make my voice crack in the last verse like him)
6. Hallelujah (by Leonard Cohen...it's so terribly cliche, but I did an acoustic version of Jeff Buckley's arrangement, except it's just pure verse/verse/verse nonstop, and I was definitely into it when I sang it)
7. You (by Switchfoot)
8. Home Sweet Home (by Motley Crue...it took me a while to arrange the piano on acoustic, and it sounds pretty killer)
9. Medley: Blackbird/Silent Lucidity (by The Beatles/Silent Lucidity...think about it, it blows your mind, don't it?)
10. Simple Man (by Lynyrd Skynyrd)
11. Wish You Were Here (by Pink Floyd...I recorded the vocals with the light all off...it was a personally spiritual experience, and I'm glad I can share it with people)

Now unfortunately, I'm not selling this via any stores, online or no. So if you want a copy, it'll have to be mail order. I'm willing to accept money via PayPal, and if someone knows how to do that properly hahaha, please let me know. But yeah, it'll be $5. If you're interested, leave me a PM with your mailing information.

Does anybody here have a Ross Rifle?
www.thetwowordsmusic.com
www.myspace.com/rossrifle

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
JStrangiato
Title: El Hombre Strangiato
PostPosted: Jan 18 2009 08:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'll hit up my campus ATM tomorrow and get some cash. I'll get you my contact information. I'll mail you the cash, you can mail me Flashpoint and this acoustic album. How much was "Flashpoint" again?
EDIT: 666th post! The Number of the Beast!

My music/humor blog (R.I.P.): http://lavidastrangiato.blogspot.com/
Chondra "Mrs. Claudio" Sanchez on Enshin a.k.a. Jake Strangiato wrote:
I really like this person.

Ross Rifle
PostPosted: Jan 19 2009 01:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm honoured that you'd use your 666th on me Enshin!

'Flashpoint' is looking like it'll be delayed, just to warn you. Feel free to send me the $10 for it, and I'll mail out the acoustic album immediately and 'Flashpoint' when I can. And if something along the lines of getting picked up by a record label (something I'm working on as we speak) and re-recording 'Flashpoint', I'll send the $10 back, PROMISE. Very Happy

www.thetwowordsmusic.com

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
Ross Rifle
PostPosted: Jan 19 2009 05:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

ahaha better plan how'bout? I'll send you a temp. copy of 'Flashpoint' on a burned disc until it is completo. Then I'll send ya th real deal. That goes for you too Cam (if you see this). I only ask that you TELL YOUR FRIENDS!

I seem to be getting exactly 0 support in my own 'home' town, but if I can gain an international fanbase, that'll really help my chances with a label Very Happy

www.thetwowordsmusic.com

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Jan 19 2009 04:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Depends on how much you spent to make the thing, but I would suggest just flat out giving away copies of a burned copy of it. Even if 4 out of 5 people throw it away, thats 1 person who otherwise would not have bought it, or known about it, ya know?
Ross Rifle
PostPosted: Jan 19 2009 08:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That is a consideration josh. I dunno, I'll get some opinions on it first. It's just that I really need the money right now hahaha. $5 per album isn't much, but it's getting me through the day.

www.thetwowordsmusic.com

nihilisticglee
PostPosted: Jan 19 2009 08:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Are there any places in your town that will let you play live? Or are there any radio stations around that play unsigned bands?
Ross Rifle
PostPosted: Jan 19 2009 08:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'll probably give a copy of each album to my university's station, and I was having problems with live gigs. I don't quite have a live band to play the stuff off 'Flashpoint' yet, and up until 'Zero' I didn't have any acoustic material to audition by. So now I do, and I'll try to play some coffeehouses until I get the band ready.

I'm also going to consider busking.

www.thetwowordsmusic.com

Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Jan 19 2009 11:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

ross_rifle113 wrote:
ahaha better plan how'bout? I'll send you a temp. copy of 'Flashpoint' on a burned disc until it is completo. Then I'll send ya th real deal. That goes for you too Cam (if you see this). I only ask that you TELL YOUR FRIENDS!

I seem to be getting exactly 0 support in my own 'home' town, but if I can gain an international fanbase, that'll really help my chances with a label Very Happy

I'm definitely playing it for my friends.

And that sucks that your hometown isn't giving you the support you deserve. But hey, your success will be a metaphorical middle finger to Chilliwack, so just brush it off.

Ross Rifle
PostPosted: Jan 19 2009 11:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Absolutely, and really, it'll be a middle finger to the people of Chilliwack and for the people of Chilliwack. I blame the town itself for people being stupid.

www.thetwowordsmusic.com

scamrock
Title: Space Bastard
PostPosted: Jan 19 2009 11:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Have you ever considered playing in other people's bands until you can put together your own band for gigs? I know it sucks having to play for someone else when you want to do your own thing. But you get the experience of playing live, you get the extra cash, and most importantly, you meet a lot of people in the local music comminity and get the connections that makes it easier to put together your own band. Its also good to get in with guys who frequent local jam sessions. That is a good way to meet people looking to get in on a band.

My best friend is in 3 bands and he does a lot of solo sets. He started off doing accoustic sets anywhere he could get a gig. Then he ended up in a band that didn't really work out. Then he met some guys who were starting to get big in the area and got on with them as their lead guitar player. Then he started his own band and got some gigs here an there, but nothing really big. Then some old guys saw him play and they started talking and they asked him if he could play in their band too. They do a lot of old country.

He has all of this going on at once. He makes enough from gigs that he doesn't need to get a real job. Now he has a demo for his band which is starting to get more attention. This also helps with demand for your album. Before, he didn't really need a demo other than because he wanted one. Nobody really knew him. Now that he plays all over the area, people started asking when he was going to put a cd out. Now he has one and the demand.

Sorry. I'm not trying to tell you how to do it. I'm sure you know more about it than I do. Its just some ideas to help you make some more money using your talent. I know at one time my friend sort of felt like he was at a standstill and didn't have a job or any money. So while I've never been in that exact situation, I'm familier with it.

If you want, you can check out my friend's stuff. You'd probably get along great with him. He is like a fucking music guru. Music is pretty much his entire life. You actually remind me of him quite a bit.

This is his band's myspace page. His band is called Down N Out. He is the lead singer and lead guitar.
http://www.myspace.com/downnout81

This is the band that he started off with that really got people looking at him. They are called Eric Lane and the Doghouse Band. He plays lead guitar.
http://www.myspace.com/thedoghouseband17

This is the country band he plays for. They are called Timberline. He also plays lead guitar with them as well. They only have one song on their page and I don't know if he plays on it or not.
http://www.myspace.com/thetimberlineband

JStrangiato
Title: El Hombre Strangiato
PostPosted: Jan 19 2009 11:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

My friend's got a job as a DJ in a radio station up in Washington, I'm sure I could convince him to play some of your tracks off "Flashpoint". Wouldn't that be odd? A Canadian artist getting attention/airplay in Washington and Texas?

My music/humor blog (R.I.P.): http://lavidastrangiato.blogspot.com/
Chondra "Mrs. Claudio" Sanchez on Enshin a.k.a. Jake Strangiato wrote:
I really like this person.

Ross Rifle
PostPosted: Jan 19 2009 11:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have considered it actually. I saw a want ad for a guitarist for some girl who wants to play stuff like Carrie Underwood (puke) and CCR (awesome). So I dunno. There's two big problems for me. The first is that people think I'm a joke. I think it's because ironically, I take music very seriously, whereas most everyone else just goes up and goofs off. The local scene is also heavily based around ska and hardcore punk, which I'm not into a lot.

My other problem is that I have a live band, but I'm teaching my cousin to drum from scratch. He's getting good, but it takes time and dedication.

Looking at it this way though, my only source of income right now is my cds. The thought of that kinda floors me. Like, I'm actually a professional musician. A less-than-minimum-wage,can't-afford-shit professional musician, but a musician nonetheless. So I think I'm going to do what I can to keep this as a job. I'm gonna do acoustic shows for a bit.

I think what I need to do is focus my time in Abbotsford, which is the town next door. People actually do respect me there...I have people I don't know wanting to buy my stuff, and I have like a following. So I'll see what I can do about bands there. And shows too. There's a highly popular and influential coffee shop downtown, so hopefully I can get in there.

www.thetwowordsmusic.com

Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Jan 19 2009 11:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I feel weird saying 0th out loud. Confused

scamrock
PostPosted: Jan 19 2009 11:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

ross_rifle113 wrote:
I have considered it actually. I saw a want ad for a guitarist for some girl who wants to play stuff like Carrie Underwood (puke) and CCR (awesome). So I dunno. There's two big problems for me. The first is that people think I'm a joke. I think it's because ironically, I take music very seriously, whereas most everyone else just goes up and goofs off. The local scene is also heavily based around ska and hardcore punk, which I'm not into a lot.

My other problem is that I have a live band, but I'm teaching my cousin to drum from scratch. He's getting good, but it takes time and dedication.

Looking at it this way though, my only source of income right now is my cds. The thought of that kinda floors me. Like, I'm actually a professional musician. A less-than-minimum-wage,can't-afford-shit professional musician, but a musician nonetheless. So I think I'm going to do what I can to keep this as a job. I'm gonna do acoustic shows for a bit.

I think what I need to do is focus my time in Abbotsford, which is the town next door. People actually do respect me there...I have people I don't know wanting to buy my stuff, and I have like a following. So I'll see what I can do about bands there. And shows too. There's a highly popular and influential coffee shop downtown, so hopefully I can get in there.

Well, part of the problem is that in your town, people know, or at least they think they do, and so they have preconceived notions about you. I guess it makes it hard for jackasses to look past it and take you seriously.

My friend had the same problems when he was getting started. His audience was the people who we went to school with in a town of 8,000. They knew him his whole life pretty much had the idea that he wasn't anybody special up to know, so they didn't know why they should take him seriously know.

Really how he started to get popular was playing ot of town and then in town with a band that was starting to get popular already. Out of town, nobody has some idea about who you already are. For all they know, where you come from, you could be a big loser or the most popular guy in town. There is no preconceived notion.

He is a lot more popular than he used to be in town. But out of town he is a lot more popular. They play at the Jasper Tavern in Jasper, MO (Jasper, MO like on Roadhouse. They should have called it Double Deuce) He is like a rock god there. So going next door might not be a bad idea.

Ross Rifle
PostPosted: Jan 20 2009 12:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

That's EXACTLY what it is. Abbotsford is where university is, and I did well to kinda...start fresh when I got there back in '07. I now have a large group of people who think of me as the cool guy, not the dude they grew up with. I'm gonna be looking for a job out there this week anyway, so who knows where it'll go? I've definitely...used up my resources in Chilliwack, so to speak, and yeah, I think it's time to move on.

I wonder if all bands who come back for the mighty hometown show actually feel like this? Like if secretly they're like 'these people never liked us or took us seriously the dumb fucks, now look at em!'

I hope so hahaha.

www.thetwowordsmusic.com

scamrock
PostPosted: Jan 20 2009 12:12 am Reply with quote Back to top

ross_rifle113 wrote:
I wonder if all bands who come back for the mighty hometown show actually feel like this? Like if secretly they're like 'these people never liked us or took us seriously the dumb fucks, now look at em!'

I hope so hahaha.

I dunno. Probably. With my friend, its hard to tell. He is very self concious, but at the same time, doesn't care what most people think. He is usually just more critical of himself. His band, Down N Out was playing at this show with local bands that a church was putting on and he played Sympathy for the Devil. Then, after Katrina, he put on a benefit concert and actually donated the money to charity. But he played shit like Rock Me Like a Hurricane and other songs of that theme. Some people realized he was doing a good thing, but other people were pissed because they though he was being disrespectful. So he still is able to piss people off in town which doesn't always help his image with them. But like I said, he usually doesn't care what people think.

Ross Rifle
PostPosted: Jan 20 2009 12:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

hahaha awesome.

Yeah fuck Chilliwack. Thanks to some fellows here, I have fans in various locations in the States, so if I can keep that going, and build up a following in the lower mainland (think of it as my county), I should be in good hands.

www.thetwowordsmusic.com

Reply to topic

Jump to: