SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns

Reply to topic
ReeperTheSeeker
PostPosted: Jan 03 2009 08:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I thought it was an interesting concept, Batman fighting crime in his fifties. The flow was kind of awkward but overall i thought Frank Miller did an awesome job with the story. It was dark and demented, i thought two-face's character developed interestingly but the Joker seemed hollow.

I can understand how people believe Miller has lost his mind. From The Senor Batman to the Goddamn Batman, Miller has lost his touch. But what is with the Swastika Tits Amazon that appears in both works?

ImageImageImage
Links, pics, vids . . . I shall post these when given the chance
Transformers 2 Review: ". . . Did i mention SHIT BLOWS UP?!!!"

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Jan 03 2009 08:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

frank miller is an acquired taste. ill say that. i love most of his stuff, except for ronin. that didnt do anything for me

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Jan 05 2009 08:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

Pretty much every list of the best comics ever will have The Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen as #1 and #2, though people don't agree which is better. I'm fairly inclined to agree with this, as The Dark Knight Returns is fantastic.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

ReeperTheSeeker
PostPosted: Jan 05 2009 10:36 am Reply with quote Back to top

Dr. Jeebus wrote:
Pretty much every list of the best comics ever will have The Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen as #1 and #2, though people don't agree which is better. I'm fairly inclined to agree with this, as The Dark Knight Returns is fantastic.

Believe it or not, I thought the watchmen was better and between batman graphic novels, the long halloween was better then the dark knight returns. Although i am not denying that the dark knight returns was awesome, because it was. I just didn't care for the political overtone DKR had, i read comics to get away from that bullshit.

ImageImageImage

Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Jan 05 2009 12:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I do believe it, as most lists have Watchmen as 1 and The Dark Knight Returns as 2, but some switch it.

If you didn't care for the political overtone that The Dark Knight Returns has, what about the political overtone that Watchmen had? The whole cold war thing that was explicitly talked about, just not hinted at?

UsaSatsui wrote:

ReeperTheSeeker
PostPosted: Jan 05 2009 01:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Dr. Jeebus wrote:
I do believe it, as most lists have Watchmen as 1 and The Dark Knight Returns as 2, but some switch it.

If you didn't care for the political overtone that The Dark Knight Returns has, what about the political overtone that Watchmen had? The whole cold war thing that was explicitly talked about, just not hinted at?

That's true, I guess 'political overtone' was not what i was going for in my comment. it's was how some civilians in the DKR came off as more asshole-ish and righteous then in the watchman. Plus watchman does have majority of the secondary characters get cooked.

And example from DRK i have to say is the psychiatrist for two-face and the joker. After Two-face went back to his old ways, the jack-ass had the nerve of releasing the joker without even think that he might go on a rampage. And on top of that he blames batman for just about everything. "It's not my patient's fault their crazy, it's batman's fault for driving them crazy."

Then there was that reporter chick who was annoying as hell, like when the nuke went off and people were trying to explain the outcome of the blast she interrupts them and shrugs it off like it's going to rain or some shit.

Then there's the asshole from pages 179-183, during the riot.

First he takes a cop's gun and pistolwhips a priest then goes and shots someone. He then gets all pissy when batman incompasitate him as if he never heard of karma. Then goes and says "Who gave him the right?" like his own actions were just freebies and he was entitled to them. It was a fucking riot asshat and you had a gun, if you didn't expect someone to go apeshit on you before you killed anyone else then your naive. and did i forget to add on page 110 this was the same guy who pushed a cripple in front of an incoming subway train. IMO, batman went easy on him during the riot.

I guess what i am trying to say is that frank miller captured the negatives of modern humanity to a T. The doctor using his patients to get attention, the wooden perky reporter, the asshole who expects the world to bow to him. People like this piss me off and i guess i confused political with humanity.

In the watchman, any negative feeling you may harbor to a secondary character kind of get pushed aside when millions of them get vaporized.

Looking back, the politics of who supports batman and who wants him to burn was what i had in mind earlier.

ImageImageImage

Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Jan 05 2009 03:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

As much as you don't like the negativity in humanity that Miller showcases in DKR, it's pretty damned accurate.

UsaSatsui wrote:

Cattivo
PostPosted: Jan 05 2009 04:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Finally bought this last month along with every other classic Batman graphic novel. They're all just sitting on the bottom shelf of my bookcase in my computer room though, right under most of my Batman figures. Don't know if I'll get around to reading them anytime soon, though....but they were all so cheap, I couldn't resist even though I don't currently have the time.

I am intrigued by the "fascist" overtones I've read about this and the recent sequel having.
ReeperTheSeeker
PostPosted: Jan 05 2009 04:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Dr. Jeebus wrote:
As much as you don't like the negativity in humanity that Miller showcases in DKR, it's pretty damned accurate.

And anyone who can have me hate characters solo on their basis of everyday people, then that writer is alright in my book. if only he kept that grasp on humanity, maybe the goddamn batman wouldn't seem like something out of the twilight zone.

Could it be that Miller is going backwards in comic book lour, to the golden era when any batshit insane thing could happen in a comic? Or has he just gone crazy?

ImageImageImage

Reply to topic

Jump to: