"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
MTG.com sucks now

Reply to topic
Black Zarak
Title: Big Coffin Hunter
PostPosted: Nov 27 2008 03:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

MTG being Magic the Gathering obviously.

They redesigned the site not too long ago and it's just terrible now. It has about a million flash intro pages (Jeebus will tell you all about how much he hates those) that you can thankfully skip, but now even the content is deteriorating. They used to keep about an even balance between the serious hardcore player info and the more flavorful side of the game (which personally I think everyone has lost sight of), but more and more often the updates are now only decklists or how to beat the current hot decklists or who won recently with said decklists and crap like that.

They even did away with Ask Wizards as a separate feature and made it something that pops up every once in awhile in the Arcana section. Which also used to be almost all flavor info and is now more likely than not top player bios or something stupid like that.

Like who gives a crap about pro players? I've been to pre-releases where Darwin Castle and players like him attended and nobody ever gives a shit about them, the most anyone interacts with them is for gunslinging. It's not like they're pro sports players and you'd be in awe of them or whatever when you actually meet them in person, they're just nerds like you. Actually, way bigger nerds than you. Like if the most annoying player in your group went pro. But I digress. My point is that probably very small amount of players care even remotely about pro players so they shouldn't waste a slot or two of content space on a YouTube video about some loser's favorite goblin or something.

I used to go on there all the time because they would post interesting information about the development of a set's specific world and races or show design sketches or fill in more of the story since they have the completely gay policy of making you buy the shitty books if you want to know what's going on anymore, books with storylines that often just barely brush the actual, main plot of the set and may or may not feature characters that aren't anywhere in the set and only minor appearances by major characters (read the Guildpact novel to learn all about some no-name Izzet goblin who occupies most the book and in which Niv-Mizzet, a huge player on Ravnica, is mentioned like twice.)

Now more often than not, I click to the main page, see absolutely nothing of interest and then leave without having clicked a single article.

This really turned into more of a rant about what's wrong with Magic these days in general but feel free to join in with ranting of your own.

REVIEWS, LEGOS, NONSENSE Check out Zarak's Barracks!

"Let that be a lesson to you, your family and everyone you've ever known..."

"Thanks to denial, I'm immortal!"

Decoy
Title: !
PostPosted: Nov 27 2008 04:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I stopped buying them when they did that Kami story arch thing. Forgot what it was called, but when that happened, it really didn't feel like MTG anymore.

A shovel and a complete lack of ethics can get you anything.

Black Zarak
Title: Big Coffin Hunter
PostPosted: Nov 27 2008 04:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, Kamigawa was the probably the weakest block in recent history. The ideas behind the mechanics were ok, but the block became extremely isolated as soon as it ended; not a lot of later cards work well with it despite Wizards' attempts to make blocks mesh well with each other, (i.e. carrying over tribes like elves, goblins, Leonin and Vedalkyn though most recent blocks) spirits haven't received really strong reinforcement since and Arcane hasn't been touched on at all. Though I keep saying they should do an Arabian themed set (that is their own and not just a modified version of Arabian Nights the story) that has Djinn spirits as a major race and reintroduces Arcane.

Ravnica was a great block and Time Spiral was ok, Lorwyn had some goods cards and a lame story, Shadowmoor made the story better but old English fantasy style is still kinda gay. I really like Alara if only for story reasons but some people have problems with the three color aspect.

REVIEWS, LEGOS, NONSENSE Check out Zarak's Barracks!

"Let that be a lesson to you, your family and everyone you've ever known..."

"Thanks to denial, I'm immortal!"

Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Nov 27 2008 10:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I haven't checked the site in sometime. I don't have the player base or cash to play around here. Kamigawa was okay, but I haven't bought a card since Betrayers. The last set I have any inkling of memory about was Lorwyn.

Regarding the site. Yeah, it looks like they unified their game hubs, I noticed their D&D page started running those annoying flashes as well. Since I have no interest in 4th edition I quit going there. I really like MaRo and MaGo's articles. There were a few other columns I enjoyed, but like I said, no money/players = no interest.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Reply to topic

Jump to: