SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
My love/hate relationship with WWE

Reply to topic
Poll :: My favorite era of Pro Wrestling was: (Era, Organizations, Huge Stars)

70s and Prior (WWWE, NWA, AWA) Bob Backlund, Ric Flair, The Shiek, Buddy Rogers, Killer Kowalski, Nick Bockwinkel, etc.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
The 80s (WCW/WWF/NWA) Hogan, Macho Man, Roddy Pipper, Ric Flair, Ted DiBiase, Iron Shiek, etc
25%
 25%  [ 7 ]
The early 90s (WCW/WWF) Ultimate Warrior, Mr Perfect, Bret Hart, Yokozuna, Sting, Steiner Bros, Road Warriors, Oringal Style Undertaker, etc
22%
 22%  [ 6 ]
The late 90s (WCW/nWo/WWF/ECW) Outsiders, "Hollywood" Hogan, "Crow" Sting, DX, Austin, The Rock, Satantic Undertaker, RVD, Sabu, Sandman, etc
40%
 40%  [ 11 ]
Early 00s (WCW/WWF-E) McMahon/Helmsley era, The Fall of WCW, The Invasion, Austin, Rock, Kurt Angle, Chris Jericho, Chris Benoit, Eddie Gurerro, Biker Undertaker, etc
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Today (WWE/TNA) Cena, Orton, Edge, CM Punk, HHH, Angle, AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, etc.
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 27

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Jul 16 2008 07:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I didn't want to derail the Cena thread, so I started a new one. I also threw up a poll for the hell of it.

Right now, I care about 5% of what's going on in the WWE and it's shows. The Jericho/HBK fued is awesome, CM Punk being champion is awesome, and I am curious to see where the Kane storyline is going (Though, I am sure I am going to be disapointed). Everything else can lick my balls.

So, why do I love WWE then. (At least according to the Thread Title.)

WWE 24/7 On Demand.

I have rarely been disapointed with the selections.

They profile a different Hall Of Famer every month, showing matches and specials about them.

You have the show "Legends of Wrestling", which features various "legends" of the business, both for their work in and out of the ring, having a round table discussion about specific topics, persons, or occurrences in the history of wrestling. The show is usually hosted by JR, with the exception of a few episodes for which Gene Okerlund filled in for him.

Panelists they've had:

Mike Graham
Michael "P. S." Hayes
Pat Patterson
Dusty Rhodes
Eric Bischoff
Jerry "the King" Lawler
Tazz
Pat Patterson
JR
Mean Gene

Since, the show is mostly talking, it may bore the shit outta casual fans, but I love hearing the stories about what happens behind the curtain, and the awesome tales about the business in its yesteryears.

They have "The Monday Night Wars", which every two weeks they put up an episode of RAW and the episode of Nitro that aired against it. And, they are doing it in order. Right now, they are the fall of 1997, which is when wrestling hit its last "Golden Area". You have the rise of the nWo on Nitro, with Sting in the rafters, and Goldberg has not debuted yet. On the other side you have the rise of the Attitude Era of the WWF/E. Steve Austin is just starting to break out, Rocky Miavia has just turned heal by joining the Nation Of Domination and starting to get his famous personality, and HBK, HHH, Rick Rude, and Chyna have just teamed up and are about to form DX.

They have the Shorties section, which are single matches that follow a theme. Right now they are airing all of the WCW Wargame matches. Which were two teams of 5 wrestlers each that fought in 2 rings side by side, surrounded by a cage. (I wish WWE would bring this match back since they have the rights to it.)

Also, they show alot of classic PPVs and events from AWA, NWA, WWWF, and ECW.

As long as they keep 24/7 up and running with this great line up, I will continue to be a fan and happily give them my $12/month.
Douche McCallister
Title: DOO-SHAY
PostPosted: Jul 16 2008 07:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That sounds fucking awesome. I would love to watch the WCW shows from then. How does one go about getting it? Just order it like an HBO?

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
PostPosted: Jul 16 2008 07:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I just called Comcast (My cable company) and said I wanted WWE 24/7, and they hooked me up. As long as you have digital cable with On Demand, you should be able to get it.
Optimist With Doubts
Title: Titlating
PostPosted: Jul 16 2008 11:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I loved the late 90s but every era has its charm there has been some good stuff in recent years

scamrock
Title: Space Bastard
PostPosted: Jul 17 2008 12:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

I picked the 80's as my favorite. The nWo era would probably be my second choice. It is my all time favorite storyline and my favorite stable(s).

I used to be a HUGE wrestling fan (I don't mean in size, although my waistline could be smaller). I watched wrestling religously from the time I started watching tv up until sometime around the middle of this decade. Now I rarely watch it. I would actually love to get back into it. I'm just so used to not watching it that on Mondays, I don't even think about it.

Last I remember, it seemed like real tag teams and any good stables were a dying breed/thing of the past. Tag teams used to be gimmick based. There are still some. But it seems like with the WWE, they would rather just slap two random superstars together.

nihilisticglee
PostPosted: Jul 17 2008 04:06 am Reply with quote Back to top

I honestly love wrestling today, but I try to mainly watch PWG, ROH, NOAH. I still keep up with the WWE and will watch it if it is on though.

scamrock wrote:
Last I remember, it seemed like real tag teams and any good stables were a dying breed/thing of the past. Tag teams used to be gimmick based. There are still some. But it seems like with the WWE, they would rather just slap two random superstars together.

The WWE has just raped the tag team and light heavyweight (AKA cruiserweight) division. The only tag teams there are left are The Miz and John Morrison, Finlay and Hornswoggle, Ted DiBiase and Cody Rhodes, Cryme Tyme, and sometimes the Hardy's team up again. Thats five teams divided up among three shows. And it isn't like TNA is any better about this, the only stable tag teams they have left are MCMG, Team 3D, LAX, Christian Cage and Rhino, and Beer Money. Someone needs to bring back tag teams, starting with London and Kendrick.
scamrock
PostPosted: Jul 17 2008 07:54 am Reply with quote Back to top

I remember growing up with tons of tag teams. The Road Warriors, the Midnight Express, The Rock N Roll Express, The Fantastics, any combination of the Four Horsemen, the British Bulldogs, the Hart Foundation, Strike Force, Demolition, the Rougeau Brothers, the Nasty Boys, the Rockers, the Powers of Pain, the Natural Disasters, Steiner Brothers, the Islanders, the Bushwhackers, Samoan Swat Team/the Headshrinkers, Men on a Mission, the Hollywood Blondes, Public Enemy, the Varsity Club, the Freebirds, Doom, the Killer Bees, etc.

uncle joe
PostPosted: Jul 17 2008 08:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

I have always loved wrestling; I grew up with Hogan, Jake Roberts, DiBiase, shit I used to watch WCW back then when no one watched that shit. I then transitioned to the Hart, Ramon, HBK 95 era. The Attitude ERA was obviously glorious with WCW ,WWF and even ECW all having very strong impacts on each other and in themselves.

I currently love this era for the sheer amount of depth of wrestling; you want diversity wih a premium on entertainment, there's WWE. If you want mostly no nonsense wrestling, there's ROH. You want comedy wrestling, there's CHIKARA and PWG. Shit, you want spot fests, you've got Dragon Gate and sometimes TNA.

There's always something good about every era, you just have to see the lining.

King
Title: CTE
PostPosted: Jul 17 2008 01:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I loved the 80's era. I love old NWA, original Horseman. When I was kid going down to Philly to see the Von Erich's wrestle. Also, a HUGE DiBiase fan. I went to a raw event in Hershey during the Money Inc. Tag team era and Had a sign from IRS stating that I pay my taxes, he actually came over and pointed at my friend and Mine's Sign (it was a pro Irwin poster by the way). I too, miss great tag teams. Road Warriors, Demolition, Rockers, Killer Bees, 2 Cold Scorpio & Marcus Alexander Bagwell. Also, it was Hogan's best time, Macho Man's too. I love the Tag team of Hogan and Beefcake. And who wasn't a heart foundation fan, or Bret Hart fan. One of the best Matches was Bret vs Mr Perfect. I liked it too when only the bad guys would cheat or use a chair or something. Now it is common practice for everyone. Also, when special matches were special. Like the Night Stick Match between Big Bossman and Nailz. There are too many damn PPV as well. You can't build up a story line at all. What happened to the Unmovable Object vs the Unstoppable Force? Also, what happened to Mic skills? Can no one use a bit of charisma and string together a sentence or 2.
scamrock
PostPosted: Jul 17 2008 03:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Too many PPVs and no real jobbers. In the WWE, squash matches come at the expense of other superstars who currenty have no story.

Also, back in the day, if you had a fued with somebody, they let it build up with confrontations. Maybe they did a run in on your match. Maybe they would cut negative interviews at your expense. But if you had a match at the PPV, they let the tension build. NOW, if you have a match at the PPV, by the time you get there, you've already fought the guy several times.

Lets say John Cena has a match with Randy Orton at the next PPV. Lets also say Chris Jericho has a match with Triple H. At the time, Cena and Jericho are the good guys. Lets also say that Orton is the champ. At the last PPV, he fought HBK.

What will happen is that after the Cena/Orton match is announced, he comes out at the start of Raw to trash Orton. HBK will come out saying he wants another piece of him first. Then Orton comes out and says something. Whoever is running Raw at the time will come out and announce a triple threat match.

Then, next week, there will be a match between Cena and HBK to determine who will fight Orton at the PPV.

Then you have a non-title match in some capacity between the two. Then the next week there is a tag match with Cena/Jericho against Orton/Triple H.

Then they'll fight in some sort of gimmick match. By the time the PPV rolls around, your sick of the fued altogether.

I remember when fueds lasted several months between PPVs. On top of that, they never had a match before the PPV.

Something else I want to bitch about is turning gimmick PPVs like the Royal Rumble and the Survivor Series into regular events. Sure the Royal Rumble is pretty much the same. But they waste time with regular matches. They have also ruined it. Every year, its easy to predict the winner. You've got only a handful of guys that are getting that big of a push. So its only going to be one of them. Take away the promise of a title shot and give some other reward. Money? Glory? Whatever. Make it unpredictable again.

The Survivor Series is a total sham. You get one match from the original format, and it usually sucks. Make the whole damn thing like that. But make it using the original format of five guys per team. The best Survivor Series ever was the first one. They got it right. But every year it gets exponentially worse.

Also, you don't have to have title matches at every PPV. Remember when being a champion meant something? Now it changes hands more than a ten dollar bill. Everyone has had a title in some capacity.

Hulk Hogan was champion when wrestling really became mainstream. He held the title for over 4 years at this time. Bruno Sammartino actually held the belt for over 7 years for one title reign. He also holds the record for most time with over 11 years for just two title reigns. The current champ, Triple H, is tied with The Rock for most times holding the belt with 7 each. Neither has held the belt for a combined year. I'll admit 7 years os way too long. 4 is probably a little extreme. But 7 times combined for less that a year says the belt is changing hands way to often. But to their credit, John Cena has only had it 3 times and held of for a combined total of over 2 years. His longest reign is over a year with only 4 guys (Bob Backlund, Pedro Morales, Hulk Hogan, and both Sammartino reigns) who have held it longer for one reign.

Ermac
Title: Thread Killer
PostPosted: Aug 05 2008 08:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The glory days of wrestling I think are over. I remember having so much fun as a middle schooler when WCW and the WWF had their feuds. The competition resulted in some of the best damn entertainment that it ecliped Monday Night Football on many occasions.

The nWo with Hogan turning face and the original Dx will go down in history as the best wrestling gimmicks ever in my opinion. They were so well thought out and crafted that you couldnt be help but being glued to your TV to see what was going to happen every Monday Night at the end of each show. Its just sad that as an adult that I try to go back and enjoy wrestling again but the magic is just not there anymore. All the big stars are in the WWE with the worst storylines and then you have TNA which is like a shittier version of the WCW that can manage to get some WWE rejects or Kurt Angle wrestlers who we are just sick of in general.TNA has its moments but doesnt really put a dent in terms of being a serious force in the wrestling world even though its bigger than the independant circuits, but it is still a distant 2nd to the WWE.
Gantrithor
Title: Big Sexy
PostPosted: Aug 05 2008 10:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I really miss ECW when it was actually hardcore, WWE really assraped it so much that it has become more like a tasteless ECW Lite.
nihilisticglee
PostPosted: Aug 06 2008 01:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

Gantrithor wrote:
I really miss ECW when it was actually hardcore, WWE really assraped it so much that it has become more like a tasteless ECW Lite.

It is basicly a delvopment terriory now, except it is on TV.
Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Aug 06 2008 08:03 am Reply with quote Back to top

So it looks like we all love the era that we're the correct age to remember, and that didn't totally suck like the following era

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

uncle joe
PostPosted: Aug 06 2008 10:31 am Reply with quote Back to top

This new ECW is awesome.

Mr. Bomberman
2009 Forum Champion
Title: (still) token black.
PostPosted: Aug 06 2008 01:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I vote late '90s, with the early '00s coming in a close second. so much shit was going on back then, it was insane. I mean, me and my sis watched Raw/Smackdown every Monday/Thursday night for about 4-5 years. I still watch Smackdown nowadays, but rarely.

And yes, DX was awesome. Because of them, everybody (including me) in the schoolyard was doing that "suck my dick" cross your arms shit.

Xbox Live: HazNobody, pronounced "HAz". | Haven't went to IRC yet? Go! #sydlexia @ DALnet. | Y'all should play some Super Robot Wars J (hey that rhymes!) | yeah I'm back who gives a shit

Gantrithor
Title: Big Sexy
PostPosted: Aug 06 2008 02:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The early Monday Night Wars between WCW Nitro and WWF Raw was probably my favorite with the Outsiders, Hollywood Hulk Hogan, Sting, Steve Austin, Vince McMahon, DX, and The Rock. Going back to watch Late 80's and Early 90's WWF though, I did really like the much more interesting and entertaining gimmicks. I'd much rather watch Repo Man wrestle Randy Savage or see Ric Flair fight Hulk Hogan instead of seeing a Randy Orton vs. John Cena match for the seventh time.
GPFontaine
PostPosted: Aug 06 2008 03:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I feel like Tripple H has been around since the early 90s.

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
PostPosted: Aug 06 2008 06:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

GPFontaine wrote:

He was. He debuted in WCW as Terra Ryzing in 1993. He then left WCW and come to the WWF as Hunter Hearst Helmsley in 1995.
GPFontaine
PostPosted: Aug 06 2008 08:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Knyte wrote:
GPFontaine wrote:

He was. He debuted in WCW as Terra Ryzing in 1993. He then left WCW and come to the WWF as Hunter Hearst Helmsley in 1995.

Terra Ryzing

I get it.

Nasir
PostPosted: Sep 20 2008 05:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Late 80s/Early 90s.. <3
DoctorOrpheus
Title: Title: Title: Title
PostPosted: Sep 23 2008 01:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

When I casted my vote (80's) and saw that only 2 people preferred the current crap on television it made me pleased. I enjoyed watching it when I was young when it didn't matter if it was fake or not. I haven't watched wrestling since 2000 or so but I sure miss the old stuff.

ImageImage

Reply to topic

Jump to: