"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Papercraft

Reply to topic
Fernin
Title: Comic Author
PostPosted: Jun 20 2009 03:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Since around 2005, I've been building papercraft projects in my spare time. Now that it's summer again, I've had more spare time than usual, and have been picking up production on some new projects. Some folks in the chatroom have wanted to see some of them, so I figured I'd make a thread to show them off. So as to make this thread slightly more friendly to the dial-up users, I'll simply link to the pics, rather than posting them here.

Most of the little crafts I started off with didn't survive the trips back and forth to school, but this little guy did...

Mr. Saturn

Not too complex, but not bad for one of the first ones I did. I did several other little ones before attempting a couple of larger ones...

Dragon Head 1
Dragon Head 2

They turned out well, and have managed to avoid being smushed over the years. I always found it strange that dragon head 2 was just a head, as dragon head 1 was an enlarged version of a smaller version of itself, seen here...

Big Dragon

That one took me about a month to get through, it's about 2 and a half feet tall. Kinda sucks that it's mostly crushed now... I was entirely sick of papercraft by the end of that thing, and took a pretty long break from it, until shortly after the Da Vinci Code movie came out, and all sorts of versions of this came out...

Cryptex

It does work, though it's a little finicky and you have to use a very gentle touch with it. I ended up using it in one of my D&D quests as a prop, and you should've seen the look on my player's faces when they finally got it open, only to find this...

Little Cryptex

Same model, scaled down. It fit perfectly inside of its bigger self, and I think it came out better than the larger one. Around this time, the papercraft and origami board was started on 4chan, so I started getting a lot of new models... many of which I still haven't put together yet. One papercraft designer became somewhat of a celebrity on /po/, Chamoo232. Her papercraft designs were dead on accurate, ranging from very simple to immensely complex. (I still won't go anywhere near that Cerberus model...) She started off with a lot of Metal Gear Solid and Half-Life 2 models, and I picked up this little guy...

Headcrab, view 1
Headcrab, view 2

He ended up turning out really well, and I made use of him in my both my art class and digital photography class this past semester. And no, he isn't named Lamar. Wink

Metal Gear Rex, view 1
Metal Gear Rex, view 2

This is a model that was released in E3, just before the release of Metal Gear Solid 3. I had built that model, but my printer screwed up and printed it smaller than it was supposed to be, and it got smashed before long. A little over a year ago, someone took the effort to recolor the original model (which was a blueish-green for some reason) and enlarge it. The small candle in the picture is necessary for support, the big guy can't stand on his own two feet. For years, people cried out for a Ray model to go along with their Rex, but got nothing... Until Chamoo232 gave the world this...

Metal Gear Ray, view 1
Metal Gear Ray, view 2

This was scaled to the size of the original model, not the new enlarged version which I built, so it's a little bit funny seeing a shrimpy Ray. The tail was probably the most annoying thing on that to build...

Jade Dragon 1
Jade Dragon 2

This is my latest large project, my first attempt at an automated papercraft. ...Sadly, it didn't turn out very well. Only some of the bars slide up and down easily, and most of them don't sit well on the wheels on the bottom. Still looks kind of nice, though, and I'm sure if I really tried, I could take a bunch of still photos and animate it so that it looked like it moved smoothly. Now with all that big stuff out of the way, here's a handful of smaller projects I did over the years...

Bomb
N64 logo
Whistle
Snake in a Box

The bomb and the N64 logo are both pretty old, while the whistle and the Snake in a Box are pretty new. I still love the Snake in the Box, as simple as it is... it's just a pair of legs attached to an empty box, but it looks so good like that. The whistle actually works, the middle section acts as a bellows and produces a nice, high pitched whistle.

My next project is the Master Sword in its pedestal from Ocarina of Time, though I haven't even printed it out yet. I'll post some pics once it's done. So... what do you all think?

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Ba'al
Title: Zerg Zergling
PostPosted: Jun 20 2009 03:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The Metal Gears are both badass, but I gotta say that the N64 logo is my favorite. I made a papercraft Fire Stingray(Goroh's car in F-Zero) in my high school art class once, though I never kept it unfortunately.

Neutral-Bob
Title: Zarkin Frood
PostPosted: Jun 20 2009 03:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The Metal Gears look wonderful, however I have to admit that the Snake in a Box is my favorite. All-in-all they look really well done. You're really good!

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S Lewis

MOGHARR
Title: The Original CandyWafer
PostPosted: Jun 20 2009 04:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Those are really cool man! I've always kind of wanted to get in to papercraft but it seems like it would take a lot of concentration and time. I have saved a few things over the years though.

http://www.siliconera.com/news/0604/linkpc01.jpg
http://www.siliconera.com/news/0604/linkpc02.jpg
Those are both Wind Waker style Links that I've wanted to make, and there's a ceiling cat somewhere too that I wanted to do.

"Well I don`t judge most things by graphics, reality has amazing graphics, and I don`t like it, that`s why I play video games." Laminated Sky on Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger
Neutral-Bob
PostPosted: Jun 20 2009 04:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The links seem to lead to a sign that reads "Please see the image and story at www.siliconera.com". Sad

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S Lewis

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Jun 21 2009 11:22 am Reply with quote Back to top

Fernin,

I want to see a video of you making one of these things. You pick any one, just make a video. If it takes way too long, then time lapse it and show it to us sped up.

This is awesome and I wanna see how you do it!

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Jun 21 2009 03:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

GPFontaine wrote:
Fernin,

I want to see a video of you making one of these things. You pick any one, just make a video. If it takes way too long, then time lapse it and show it to us sped up.

This is awesome and I wanna see how you do it!

I'll second that! I've never heard of papercraft before (well, except oragami, but it doesn't look like this is the same thing), and I'd love to see how all that comes together. Awesome work.

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Fernin
PostPosted: Jun 21 2009 06:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Sure, I'll make a video working on one of these. Not the Master Sword, though, I think I'll work on something smaller and more interesting... As I said, I have plenty in my folder that I haven't gotten around to building yet.

I may build one of the creatures from Alice in Wonderland, but I haven't decided which yet... These are the options:

http://ferahgo.8m.com/Alice.html

All of them are built with only a single page of parts, so there's not really any differences in difficulty between them. It'd be nice if more of the creatures were created like this, though, I'd love to create that broom dog, or the birdcage bird.

I'll probably make this video tomorrow, so if you have any preference on which animal you'd like to see created, just let me know.

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
MOGHARR
PostPosted: Jun 21 2009 07:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Neutral-bob wrote:
The links seem to lead to a sign that reads "Please see the image and story at www.siliconera.com". Sad

Really? They work for me. I'll upload the pictures to Photobucket.
EDIT: http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g38/MOGHARR/PLink1.jpg
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g38/MOGHARR/PLink2.jpg

"Well I don`t judge most things by graphics, reality has amazing graphics, and I don`t like it, that`s why I play video games." Laminated Sky on Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger
GPFontaine
PostPosted: Jun 21 2009 09:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Fernin, I like the first one.

MOGHARR
PostPosted: Jun 24 2009 04:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hey, look what I found!
http://nintendopapercraft.com/

Fernin
PostPosted: Jun 24 2009 10:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

^ Yeah, that site has a ton of great pieces, that's where I got the Master Sword piece that I'm currently working on.

Update on the video... I filmed it, and there were some shenanigans involved in getting Windows Movie Maker to recognize the video files... But somewhere along the line, half of the videos got corrupted. The model came out really crappy anyway, the design was really bad... seconds after the video ended, the head fell off.

I think I'll do a second attempt at it, but not in video form, just in picture form. ...And I'm definitely not doing one of the other Alice creatures, I think I'll try one of those Nintendo papercrafts.

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Jun 24 2009 11:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've done a NES and a SNES that sit on my desk at work, so far those are all the papercrafts I've done. They take a lot of time, and patience. Neither which, I have much of.
Neutral-Bob
PostPosted: Jun 24 2009 11:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

MOGHARR wrote:
Really? They work for me. I'll upload the pictures to Photobucket.
EDIT: http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g38/MOGHARR/PLink1.jpg
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g38/MOGHARR/PLink2.jpg
Thank you. Maybe my computer was just being stubborn. I can see them now. Smile

TheRoboSleuth
Title: Sleuth Mark IV
PostPosted: Jun 25 2009 02:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

I must be some sort of cretin, cause I assumed that this would be about origami hydralisks or siege tanks.

MOGHARR
PostPosted: Jun 25 2009 05:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I forgot that I once made a scale model of the Gamecube for a school project. It was pretty cool too, I wanted to keep it but I think the teacher accidentally crushed it Sad

Char Aznable
Title: Char Classicâ„¢
PostPosted: Jun 26 2009 02:40 am Reply with quote Back to top

Damn, man, these are awesome.

MOGHARR
PostPosted: Jun 26 2009 06:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I posted some Ico models last night, but apparently after I previewed my post I forgot to actually post it, and now I cant find them Embarrassed

Ross Rifle
Title: Rock N Roll God
PostPosted: Jun 27 2009 04:32 am Reply with quote Back to top

Not quite the same thing, but my first sculpture for Sculpture II was to make increase the size of something and make it out of cardboard, so I made a Nintendo controller. The thing was a piece of shit, but I converted all inch measurements to feet, so it was like 5 feet across.

Does anybody here have a Ross Rifle?
www.thetwowordsmusic.com
www.myspace.com/rossrifle

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
Pandajuice
Title: The Power of Grayskull
PostPosted: Jul 01 2009 11:22 am Reply with quote Back to top

I recently got into papercraft myself and haven't done anything impressive yet as I'm still trying to build up some basic skills at this point. The latest one I made was a really nice Warcraft chest that turned out well.

It is very time consuming, especially cutting out each little piece before folding and glueing, and very fiddly since the pieces are so fragile, but look really cool once they're finished.
Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Jul 01 2009 04:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The first dragon head is killer, snake in a box is awesome too. Cool

Fernin
PostPosted: Jul 02 2009 03:28 am Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I'm not finished working on this page yet, but I figured I'd show you what I have so far...

http://ferahgo.8m.com/papercraft.html

If you like, you can just view one of the images and increase the numbers up to 31, all the images have been uploaded, I just haven't finished the page yet.

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Jul 02 2009 07:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

Fernin, it is awesome!!!

I really like it.

If I can find some glue I might try to do this. Out of curiosity, would a gluestick work as well as regular craft glue?

Pandajuice
Title: The Power of Grayskull
PostPosted: Jul 07 2009 06:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

I think a gluestick would work fine. I use Elmer's glue as well for my stuff, but I don't see why a gluestick wouldn't work. It might be difficult to get it into hard to reach places, but you can always use a toothpick for that.

I use a hobby knife exclusively for both cutting and scoring (use the back of the blade to score the folds) because, being left-handed, scissors are the enemy. I also find I get cleaner cuts just using a knife rather than scissors and it cuts down on the number of tools spread out everywhere.
Hacker
Banned
PostPosted: Jul 07 2009 04:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Holy shit fern, these are amazing

the best thing i can do with paper is fold it into a ship that looks remotley like an x wing fighter

Reply to topic

Jump to: